OcUK Health Seekers: Post your progress pics

Associate
Got an induction for a gym on thursday, complete noob at this so wish me luck!

i know i would find them if i read through this thread but its just so long and quick links to a website to get me going? just want to know some simple exercises to get me going.

Soldato
omg omg omg, didn't even know there was a sports section and now I come to find there are a bunch of other BBers on here too!!!!!!!!! :D

This is most recent from july, currently on a loooong bulk.

ocukav3.jpg

On another note I went to a different gym yesterday because I haven't paid my fees for the month at my normal one, and arriving there (it's at a swimming baths so it's a casual gym), I was greeted by a guy who told me everyone had to have a 45 minute induction to be shown how to use all the machines and it's mandatory, which is ridiculous if you're a gym regular. So today some guy named chris is going to 'show' me how to use the machines and free weights. I'm so going to pull him up on any bad form or advice. :D

Last edited:
Soldato

i know i would find them if i read through this thread but its just so long and quick links to a website to get me going? just want to know some simple exercises to get me going.

Good luck man!

If you want help with a program at all, just PM me and i can copy you my routine, might not be the best, but it works for me atm if it helps...

...but as your just starting out, i'd reccomend sticking to compound excercises (exercises that will hit multiple muscle groups) to build up your base strength

Soldato
220KG deadlift is immense. Im struggling on 100KG at the moment. My grip is certainly giving out, Im off to buy some straps today. I was hoping to just develop my grip but I cant foresee it being enough. I just about manage 3x8 100KG but my hands slip so have to quickly regrip before lifting again on the last few reps of each.

Are those single reps Freefaller or multiple?

don't use straps they wil just hinder your progress further down the line, work on your grip

Associate
I was greeted by some weedy guy who told me everyone had to have a 45 minute induction to be shown how to use all the machines and it's mandatory, which is ridiculous if you're a gym regular

It's not ridiculous at all, it's part of their health & safety policy.

Soldato

Starting Strength - Tbh I wouldn't follow a routine the induction guy gave you, it will most likely be garbage that he gives to every new client despite their body type, goals or whatever.

Read the link below and pick one of the routines and follow it to the letter for a good 3 months.

http://startingstrength.wikia.com/wiki/The_Starting_Strength_Novice/Beginner_Programs

It's not ridiculous at all, it's part of their health & safety policy.

I've been to several other gyms, and upon signing up they ask if you know how to use a gym - if yes - no induction necessary, tbh I'd like to see a 260lbs guy @ 10%bf go in and be told he needs to be shown how to use the machines.

Last edited:
Permabanned
don't use straps they wil just hinder your progress further down the line, work on your grip

Thats just not true, its pretty much impossible to work your back fully without grip assistance unless you are freakishly strong. Your back will always need more weight and reps than your grip will handle. The point is you use grip as long as possible then strap up. To say dont use them at all is not correct.

Soldato
Thats just not true, its pretty much impossible to work your back fully without grip assistance unless you are freakishly strong. Your back will always need more weight and reps than your grip will handle. The point is you use grip as long as possible then strap up. To say dont use them at all is not correct.

If you're using straps to lift more than your grip can handle then the fact is it's too heavy. By lifting without straps and bringing your grip up to the standards you require you'll benefit more from it and thats ignoring the fact that bringing your grip up to that standard helps with functional strength aswell.

If you don't want the bar to slip use chalk, but straps really are just a handicap. Unless you're doing 600lbs deadlifts, you don't need to be using straps.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
OP
No, there will be a finite amount of grip that most people can achieve, and to carry on exercising parts of the body in an efficient way using straps is a very sensible way of doing it. Of course there are exceptions like Andy Bolton who is just monsterous, but in general for bodybuilding using straps to enable you to rep out more is far more beneficial that not progressing at all.

Don't get me wrong I don't use a belt ever, and use straps when it starts to get to a stage where I'm worrying about my grip rather than how my form is and how I'm performing my reps. I'd rather not worry about the grip and worry about performing the exercises perfectly.

My grip strength is well above average (deadlifting over 200kg for reps without them) however, once I get heavy on BORs I find it much better doing BORs over 100kg with straps, even though I can hold 100kg in each hand without a problem.

Man of Honour
On another note I went to a different gym yesterday because I haven't paid my fees for the month at my normal one, and arriving there (it's at a swimming baths so it's a casual gym), I was greeted by a guy who told me everyone had to have a 45 minute induction to be shown how to use all the machines and it's mandatory, which is ridiculous if you're a gym regular. So today some guy named chris is going to 'show' me how to use the machines and free weights. I'm so going to pull him up on any bad form or advice. :D
Just have a word with the guy when you first get there and let him know your an experienced user and he will probably just sign you off, belive me the people giving the inductions enjoy them just as little and would rather be spending that time sat in the staff room ;)

Soldato
No, there will be a finite amount of grip that most people can achieve, and to carry on exercising parts of the body in an efficient way using straps is a very sensible way of doing it. Of course there are exceptions like Andy Bolton who is just monsterous, but in general for bodybuilding using straps to enable you to rep out more is far more beneficial that not progressing at all.

Don't get me wrong I don't use a belt ever, and use straps when it starts to get to a stage where I'm worrying about my grip rather than how my form is and how I'm performing my reps. I'd rather not worry about the grip and worry about performing the exercises perfectly.

My grip strength is well above average (deadlifting over 200kg for reps without them) however, once I get heavy on BORs I find it much better doing BORs over 100kg with straps, even though I can hold 100kg in each hand without a problem.

I guess each to their own. Doing a quick search of the topic on google and looking through forums it's a fairly mixed opinion. Some are 100% against them, some use them at the end of their set when grip starts falling out and others use them regularly. Personally I would prefer to avoid using them unless doing 1RM.

Man of Honour
OP
Of course we all want to avoid using them, but there are situations where it's just more sensible to use them.

To be ever so slightly pedantic, why use them for 1RM at all? Surely if you can't pick the bar up with the weight that's on there then your grip strength isn't good enough for that lift?

Associate
Surely if you can't pick the bar up with the weight that's on there then your grip strength isn't good enough for that lift?

Personally that's how I approach it, even if some find it a bit extreme. Chalk is acceptable but straps aren't to me. I used to use straps but found I've come on a lot better without them and my back would be relatively strong compared to the rest of me.

Soldato
I do shrugs with a Barbell roughly just over 100KG, my hands slip, and my traps aren't even tired and i know full well i can pump out a heap more reps.

Would you reccomend straps, or just stick at it until my grip catches up? It's annoying :(

Man of Honour
I do shrugs with a Barbell roughly just over 100KG, my hands slip, and my traps aren't even tired and i know full well i can pump out a heap more reps.

Would you reccomend straps, or just stick at it until my grip catches up? It's annoying :(

Start doing some grip training exercises

Soldato
Of course we all want to avoid using them, but there are situations where it's just more sensible to use them.

To be ever so slightly pedantic, why use them for 1RM at all? Surely if you can't pick the bar up with the weight that's on there then your grip strength isn't good enough for that lift?

haha knew that was going to be said. I can accept use in 1RM because it is indeed only 1 rep and usually a new heavy PB. However, when you're not at 100% weight then you shouldn't need crutches (straps) for repping imo.

Although some people train regularly for 1RM numbers, so that can vary

Caporegime
Tbh, it's a bit like saying "Why are you using a bar to lift 200kg?! If you can't lift a 200kg rock, you aren't doing it properly!"

The muscles in your forearms are going to be much weaker than those in your back, period. I'm not going to risk straining or dislocating, or even de-gloving a finger when I can use a strap and lift enough to give my back a workout. :)

Back
Top Bottom