OcUK Health Seekers: Post your progress pics

Man of Honour
OP
Actually numbers from a proper measurement is actually quite useful once you get to a certain level as it can allude to certain conditions, and other issues you may have. Although I have striations and quite a lot of definition, my BF is around 18% purely owing to muscle mass, but with all the other hip/waist and calliper measurements it gave me an understanding of where my fat stores are. For example my visceral fat is well within tolerance. It can also let you know of hormone levels depending on where you store fat, i.e. insulin, cortisol, leptin, oestrogen and of course thyroid issues etc...

For example, fat stored mostly on back and inner arms is normally insulin resistance, however fat on the back and thighs is caused by an oestrogen imbalance, on the sides (obliques) it's an insulin sensitivity issue and bellow the belly button it's excessive cortisol stores. This is just off the top of my head. However in general fat is fat but there are some hormonal implications to be considered especially if you have low bf but stubborn areas.

Having proper readings and measurements can help give you a clue - sure it's not spot on, but it gets you going in the right direction.

Ok, maybe I take it a bit too far in terms of analysis, but it's interesting nonetheless - well I think so at any rate! :D

Soldato
FF I sincerely doubt your bodyfat is that high. Yes, you're muscular, but come on, you could never see that much ab definition (which you do have) with 18%...

Muscle can stretch layers of fat and become visible. I would have to agree 18% does seem a tad high. Probaly more like 16% but then again that's just my guess.

Associate
Muscle can stretch layers of fat and become visible.

I know, it hapend to me as well int he first 2-3 month of training abs, they started to show even though I didn't lose any weight, but that is to an limited extenct.

I mean yes, he's not 10%, but definately not 18% imho, despite what those calipers said.

Soldato
Google image '18% body fat'. If those images are right then perhaps he is....or we all have a distortion of what x amount of bodyfat looks like!

Man of Honour
OP
Personally I feel we all have a distortion of what x% BF looks like. Remember that it was my Subscapular and Suprailiac readings that were slightly high, my Bicep and Tricep measurements were on par with a mid to low teen BF%. It's just where I store fat, so sure it looks like it skews the figures but it's quite feasible to have definition yet still have higher bodyfat. As we all know we can't spot reduce fat, but depending on your physiology and body make up, you store fats in different ways on your body, so overall whilst I may not actually look that high the TOTAL amount of BF may well be around there. It's not that upsetting as I'm well within the "healthy" zone - I do want to trim down a little, but I honestly think we all under judge what we are.

Soldato
I agree. I carry little on my arms, most below my belly button I have 'the bump' my waist is slim though. I carry some on my lower and upper back too. Provided I have some definition and the mass is showing through I'll be happy. I think that's how most will feel. Whilst low body fat figures are impressive and aesthetically pleasing to some, they're hard work.

Man of Honour
OP
Some are maintainable with a regular lifestyle, but super lean super cut you have to be eating breathing and living it day in and day out. I just can't afford to do that and do my best as I can - besides I like to have a life too :D. I think (I know) I can hit around 14-15% without a huge amount of flogging - but then it'll be maintainable. I've always been one for a bulkier look anyway, besides, you can still see striations, muscle separation and decent vascularity so I'm not overly fussed.

Soldato
Think we're in the same boat.

If and whenever the training lifestyle and diet ceases to exist I'm sure said individual will find themself in a calorie defecit without even trying due to all the lean mass put on over the years.

Associate
I think i've reached the point where I need to cut a bit, though I don't want to lose too much strength.

I'm benching 3x8 80kg, my 1 rep max is 120kg, just to get an idea of my strength, but I really feel the flab is preventing the "look" which i was initially going for.

Just try upping the cardio and eating the same or? I'm making really good progress, completely natural btw, training around 9 months now

Man of Honour
OP
120kg bench is good work! However that alone won't give you the "look" or size, but if you are carrying excess BF, then yes of course getting rid of that will help enhance a more athletic physique. Bear in midn also the more lean body mass you have the better your body will metabolise your food, if your diet and lifestyle is in check - but you've got to be eating right, well and sensibly.

Soldato
Freefaller - muscles as big as ego.
Don't be fooled by him people...... :D

Your old pic on the beach....the one WITH YOUR ARM AROUND ANOTHER SEMI-NAKED MAN? Did you do any kind of athletic training, like triathlons and such.
You look that you had that kind of athletically fit physique before you bulked up (later pics).

I was that way.....now i'm just a mass of creaky pain! :(

Man of Honour
OP
Cheeky bugger! :mad: :p

That's Rich_L - it was an honour to have my arm round him! He's hard to resist :p

I played squash at a high level (county) and basketball to a decent standard (uni, and local team) so keep you very very fit. I was around 83-85kg in that pic I reckon. So over well over 10kg has been put on since! :eek: I had played rugby before then but never to a very high standard. So yes I kept fit! :) I'm still as aerobically fit now, I just carry a bit more bulk around (over 2.5 stones worth extra! :eek: )

Back
Top Bottom