OcUK Health Seekers: Post your progress pics

Using a thicker bar does obviously change your grip and mix it up, and it depends what your goals are obviously. But I won't be buying a pair anytime soon :)

Ditto.

I try to use the thick bar at my gym all the time if I can. I can see, and it makes anthropometric sense - but my grip strength is pretty good and I'm happy with it's development. :)

Mm, really worth it or another gimmick? Like the perfect press up!

Perfect press up is a bit different.

Personally for me I've found they made bench a lot tougher. Making 90KG feel like 100KG and 100KG feel like 110KG. Not only this but my forearm mass and lower bicep mass and vascularity on the whole has improved (also due to cutting).

People really don't realise how hard it is to hold a heavy bar with your hand half open.

Nope but I can imagine that it is literally an axle!

I tried reverse grip curls with Fatgripz yesterday. So damn hard, they were only about 20KG but my forearms and thumbs just kept giving out. Might try False gripping it next time but it's damn hard!

Lol, the statement on that website "you'll never find anything like this anywhere....i know, i've tried!"
What? you mean you couldn't find some pipe lagging that oyu could use instead of being raped for $39 ??? That cracked me up.
I do agree with the principle of the exercise, its just the sales spiel.....my goodness!

Actually, i just thought back 15 years; guys at our old gym used it. It was mega thick lagging which as it got compressed due to its softness ended up being about the right diameter for most hands (except gorillas).
I remember using it, albeit blindly as i hadn't a clue as to why back then.

It's the same with the majority of supplements/training aids. It's like they can't contain the exctiement and that purely using it alone will help you get over that wall in your training.

I agree you could fashion your own version. Though for £30 I'd rather save the time and effort. There's no reason they shouldn't last a lifetime either. With zero compression. I'd have brought a thick bar and used it in the gym if I hadn't found these, so saved myself some cash and can also use them on DB's, win/win.

all sports based things have a crazy sales pitch, its a highly opinionated and competative market. You just have to look past it to the core of what they are all yelling about :rolleyes:

My 230kg deadlift:

No straps, belt. Came up quite easily I think, and really happy with my form. I reckon I've got more in the tank. :cool: The unload was a bit rubbish, and apologies for the show boating. :o

Nice lift. Deffinatley more in the tank I'd say mate. If you look at the speed of most peoples 1RM (if it's anything to go by) I rekon you could easily see another 5-10KG on top of that.

Nice socks :p

hehe Thanks! :) Well that's the 2nd week on the trot I've hit 230kg - so we'll see. I'll be off skiing next weekend so will have time to recover!

The socks are my anti-rip-my-shins-to-pieces-rugby-club-jubilee-woah-you're-blinding-me socks. :p

Great lift, you made it look really easy. Most people look like they're about to explode when attempting 1RM lifts.

Great socks though, I've lately started wearing socks like that, although only under my tracksuit bottoms. I've yet to do it with 3/4 lengths or shorts.

Also why no shoes?

Interesting, I might try it one day. Although they might all think I'm mad taking off my shoes for deadlifts.

I never wear shoes for Deadlifts, Back/Front Squats, Powercleans, Front Squats etc

Doesn't bother me if people give me funny looks. I'd get even funnier looks when I fall foward/backward or drop the weight on myself.

Just be careful when loading the bar barefoot or at least keep your shoes on for this point. Had some close calls dropping plates near my toes.

I like to have a solid platform
from which to push from I remove my shoes for all leg work outs like this. I also do it for squats. Feels better. I wear trainers and not lifting shoes so it makes sense to take em off rather than keep them on.

It'll just be really hard to do squats with no shoes on for me.

We only have a smiths machine and there's no rubber padding below it and it's one of those smooth surfaces. So I'll keep the shoes on for that.

But I'll give the other lifts a try with socks, although I don't seem to have balance problems that I know of.

Back
Top Bottom