LiE

Caporegime
I think I'm eating far too little.
A couple of slices of toast'n'jam in the morning 8am
a good cooked meal for lunch in work restaurant at 12pm
Exercise and lift weights after work 3 days a week
Have a good home made meal in the evening at 7pm
Possible have a light snack before bed.

Will I ever put on weight with this schedule or should I think about eating sandwiches in between meals?

If you're serious about putting on muscle then I would recommend caculating your calories/macros. Diet is extrememly important in terms of progression - without a solid diet you won't get anywhere. Do you have control over the food you eat i.e. do the shopping/prepare the food?

Associate
I live alone and have all the time in the world. Do my own shopping and prepare my own food. Also don't need to eat in the work restaurant as I live 5 mins walk from work. The restaurant is cheap and the meals are nice and its also very convenient.

I find that I'm just not hungry in between meals and thats why I dont eat anything in between.

Soldato
Doesn't sound like a lot to be honest, here's an example of what I'm eating at the moment - some comments on this would be good.

7-8 AM = Shake with 60g Oats, 30g Whey, Semi skimmed milk, 1 banana
10-11 AM = 4 x Weetabix, semi skimmed milk, sometimes 1 banana
12-1 PM = Pasta (wholemeal) with tomato sauce, tuna, chicken
3-4 PM = Same as 12-1 PM
5-6 PM = Same shake as morning (more Oats if day of workout)
8-9 PM = Varies every day but usually full meal with meat (tuna/chicken/steak etc.)
Before bed = Shake with just whey + semi skimmed milk

On weekends it gets a bit less frequent, depending what time I wake up :p Also have some random healthy snacks during the day/evening such as nuts etc. certains days I'd also have scrambled eggs in the morning (4 to 6 eggs but only 1 to 2 yolks)

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
The first thing you want to do is work out how many calories you need to take in. I use body weight in pounds multiplied by 18. Once you have this figure divide it by 5-6 to give you your per meal calorie intake. This is rough number, most people aim for 400-600 calories per meal. The idea is you are eating smaller, and more often. This will naturally increase your metabolic rate. I shoot for every 2.5-3.5 hours for a meal, depending how hungry I get.

To put on lean muscle focus on eating 1.5-2g of protein per lb of bodyweight. Try to take in a decent level of carbs - I usually match my protein plus a little extra. Fat is also important, make sure you get between 60-100g good fat a day.

Thinking a head and preperation is key here. If you know what you're eating the next day, make it the night before and store away in the fridge. The problem most people have is staying focused and organised. You will gradually learn to plan eating in this way. I used to be able to eat huge amounts of food in 1 sitting, but now I'm full after only a small portion. It suits me fine and my body.

I've posted my diet in sport section before. I will try and find it out for you to give you an idea.

edit:
http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showpost.php?p=12275087&postcount=3
That's my diet.

Soldato
Thanks - I went through before and it worked out about OK with the calories - I try not to eat too many carbs as this affects my blood sugar levels.

Most my food is prepared the day before and then take into the office as it gets very expensive buying food 2-3 times a day whilst at work.

Soldato
I shoot for every 2.5-3.5 hours for a meal, depending how hungry I get.

What times do you eat? I work 8 - 5 with only a 20min lunch break and its impossible to find time to eat and having a big breakfast just makes me starve during the day. I can never understand how people can find the time to eat so much. Trying to fit in 3500 cals for me is hard, no time :(.

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
What work do you do? I don't take a lunch break and prefer to eat at the desk while I work. I can see how this could be a problem working in a job where you are on the go all the time. It also depends how flexible your employer is - try splitting your 20 minute break into 2x10 minute breaks allowing you to eat a meal i.e. a sandwhich.

Follow the link to my diet above to see the times I eat at.

Associate
Is there a decent site that shows all exercises in video format?

I'm struggling to understand what some of these routines listed actually entail as I do not understand what the exercises are.

Also I would like it to have abbreviations as these are often being used and it's just a bit code like for outsiders. With a search function too ofcourse.

Many thanks!

LiE

LiE

Caporegime

I'm struggling to understand what some of these routines listed actually entail as I do not understand what the exercises are.

Also I would like it to have abbreviations as these are often being used and it's just a bit code like for outsiders. With a search function too ofcourse.

Many thanks!

What exercises are you struggling with?

Soldato
What work do you do? I don't take a lunch break and prefer to eat at the desk while I work. I can see how this could be a problem working in a job where you are on the go all the time. It also depends how flexible your employer is - try splitting your 20 minute break into 2x10 minute breaks allowing you to eat a meal i.e. a sandwhich.

Follow the link to my diet above to see the times I eat at.

Same situation here, I don't take a lunch break and just eat at my desk whilst here, no one really seems to mind , they only complain when I leave the dirty dishes in the kitchen :p

Soldato

Many thanks!

The best sites I've found are :

http://exrx.net/
http://www.coopersguns.com/

Which abbreviations are you confused about? About a month ago I didn't get any of them, now I think I've picked most of them up :)

Caporegime
What times do you eat? I work 8 - 5 with only a 20min lunch break and its impossible to find time to eat and having a big breakfast just makes me starve during the day. I can never understand how people can find the time to eat so much. Trying to fit in 3500 cals for me is hard, no time :(.

you work 8-5 and only have 20 mins? some employers are so stingy!

anyway, take a meal replacement or a protein shake. surely you have time for 1 minute shake? (add water, drink)!

Soldato
anyway, take a meal replacement or a protein shake. surely you have time for 1 minute shake? (add water, drink)!

+1

Buy a couple of shakers or bag up your whey & oats and reuse the same one. If you want more cals try adding some peanut butter or coconut milk (or both nom nom!). Do your colleagues have fag breaks or tea/coffee breaks? Shake break? ;)

Associate
7-8 AM = Shake with 60g Oats, 30g Whey, Semi skimmed milk, 1 banana
10-11 AM = 4 x Weetabix, semi skimmed milk, sometimes 1 banana
12-1 PM = Pasta (wholemeal) with tomato sauce, tuna, chicken
3-4 PM = Same as 12-1 PM
5-6 PM = Same shake as morning (more Oats if day of workout)
8-9 PM = Varies every day but usually full meal with meat (tuna/chicken/steak etc.)
Before bed = Shake with just whey + semi skimmed milk

That is a lot of food! I'm going to have to force myself into eating more regularly. Thanks for the heads up mate.

Soldato
My shakes I make are cooked oats which I blend in with a few tablespoons of yogurt and a muller fruit corner for flavour makes about 400cals.

I have this as part of my breakfast. I work as a conference assistant so my lunchbreak is usually cut short if something goes wrong and we have to sort it out over lunchtime or something.

How many calories would a protein shake and water be?

Back
Top Bottom