OcUK Health Seekers: Post your progress pics

Soldato
Been out of the gym for coming onto 3-4 weeks now due to my health and other things. Managed to get in for a back session earlier today.

Crappy pic is crappy as usual but it does the job:

vidgrab1.jpg

Really lacking motivation right now due to being ill, times like this I wish I had a training partner.

Soldato
Sinuses developed a problem around November, doctors can't work out what it is, been vomiting on and off, every other day since then. Been on a pile of meds, the most recent additions make me drowsy so I've been in a constant state of tiredness and depression. Lost a fair bit of weight and muscle, unfortunately. Other depressants include uni and life in general :p

Thanks, though :)

Associate
Sinuses developed a problem around November, doctors can't work out what it is, been vomiting on and off, every other day since then. Been on a pile of meds, the most recent additions make me drowsy so I've been in a constant state of tiredness and depression. Lost a fair bit of weight and muscle, unfortunately. Other depressants include uni and life in general :p

Thanks, though :)

Nightmare mate, but keep your chin up and you will gain the muscle back, muscle memory. I was the same I had a big HIT of health problems in march. My liver enzymes were thru the roof, I had blockages in bile ducts, suspected liver disease, I have bowel disease (ulcerative colitis) throwing up, blood coming out me etc. Was in hospital for over a month n a half. If I posted a pic up of me when I came out of hospital and now you'd be shocked. But shows what you can gain back!

Associate
I am severely overweight. I am currently 23 years old, from being 18 (participating in many sports, clubs and a loose weight training regime slotted around other things) I have gone from 17 and a half stone (I have a large frame) to 23 stone in just over 4 years. I had to give up the training for time reasons and following unforseeable event I stopped excercising entirely and fell deep into depression. I have recently had an upturn in my fortunes that I feel enough momentum for me to launch back into some kind of training. I'm scared guys, I can't just man the F-up. I'm seeking proffesional help to try and get my head sorted again. I want to get my body feeling at the very least healthy but ultimately I want to make use of this fantastic frame I have been gifted and stop wasting it.

I'm ready to jump in. What I gotta do to reverse this damage.

I would post a pic but I will hold off for fear of scarring all the beautiful people.

Caporegime
Hey phr4n, I was in the same boat - almost to the lb. I went from ~16stone at 16 years old, to a ground quaking 22stone at 21. Depression was also a huge part of it, for various reasons. :)

The path I took is not recommended by medical experts, nor in fact by general consensus, but I felt I had to do something, and anything would be 'better' than the state I was in. So I bought the Atkins book. 5 months later I was 4.5 stone lighter. I lost more after that, simply because of the next point.

Most importantly, my appreciation for my body and my food is back. I am constantly keeping an eye out for what I am putting into my body - and not by determination; it's happening 'naturally' in that it is second nature to me, I don't have to keep reminding myself to check etc. :)

80%+ of fat loss is down to diet. Unless you are some miracle athlete like Michael Phelps, you simply will not lose fat from exercising alone.

HOWEVER, I do regret deeply not exercising whilst dieting. Not because I would have got more fat loss, but because I was a complete wreck of a man when all that fat was lost. It took me a year of exercise to feel normal, whereas I am certain that had I started when I started the diet, I'd not have been the wreck I was. :)

Associate
Hi all! Some brilliant progress going on in this forum, full of brilliant people, kudos to you all! :)

Just thought I'd share my two cents - still at the beginning of the road and have a long way to go, but still happy with the progress. A few of my mates ask me...why go to the gym? My response...The body is like a car. I'd rather work hard and earn my pennies to look like a Bugatti Veyron rather than sit back and stay as a common Micra! :D Looking forward to starting Uni so I got mates as spotters; it really does help! Some brill inspiration in here! I'll post something worthwhile in the near future :)

This is 5 weeks of progress; short amount of time but I've been seeing quite a few things changing. Its also amazing to be able to go to the gym and beat my previous record - there's always a sense of achievement! :) There's still a damn long road to go, but I'm going all the way!

edit: cheers for the comments, will post pics with more progress in the futrure! :)

Last edited:
Associate
might be worth doing a better pic for comparsions rather than your right arm at different angles in each picture as can't notice much dif there just due to how you took them.

Associate
Ha ha nice, I just asked that same question over at the stronglifts forum ;) So yeah does anyone have one they would call good form, Youtube has a ton of videos but I would prefer something recommended.

Actually here, My prayers were answered over at stronglifts forums.

That link is a pendlay row, u wont be able to up the weight too fast on that variation. When i go for a 'conventional' row i find i hit my lower back a fair bit so wont to see a few decent form vids to get my head right

Associate
Uploaded the pics above now. Any advice would be appreciated! I'm thinking of starting Stonglifts 5x5 soon, as I've been on a classic 3 sets of 8 reps as it seems like a lot of people have had good progress with it! :) ANy thoughts about it?

Associate
That link is a pendlay row, u wont be able to up the weight too fast on that variation. When i go for a 'conventional' row i find i hit my lower back a fair bit so wont to see a few decent form vids to get my head right

I've been trying to get the form right here at home and there seems to be a fine line between hitting my back and just too much weight which starts hitting my shoulders.

I think I have got it now but I am going to continue to do inverted rows for a while longer, There really is no rush to change I just fancied learning something different :p

Anyway sorry /Thread hijack over and out...

Caporegime
Uploaded the pics above now. Any advice would be appreciated! I'm thinking of starting Stonglifts 5x5 soon, as I've been on a classic 3 sets of 8 reps as it seems like a lot of people have had good progress with it! :) ANy thoughts about it?

5 weeks isnt long enough, i see some progress but not a lot, try 5 months.

Caporegime
As I said, I have a long road to go :) these are just initial pics of progress. 5 months? Try 5 years! :D

Not a bad progress though really...you seem to have maintained shape just got bigger...which isn't a bad thing.

As you say keep at it and do progress shots for yourself every month or so and then post up after another month or two :)

Soldato
Trainings been on the back burner as I've other priorities at moment and find myself preffering to do other things. I do still enjoy it just sometimes it's a bit of a chore, probaly the result of total dedication throughout 2 years of Uni!

Anyway here's a snap after todays chest/shoulder/tri's session.

Put my hands together to try and show off some shape on my shoulders which I'm quite happy with. Looks very separated and a little striated under heavy load, especially during side raises :)

Back width I've always been happy with, always struggled with the rhombs and getting them to fill out. Going to adopt an underhand grip for the next few months and see how this feels. Just seems to be a hard area for me to hit.

I have also been 'trying' to cut but friends birthdays and other engagments keep popping up and I also want to generally enjoy life so I've opted for 'carb control' :p and cardio when I can.

Anyway...C&C welcome:

Relaxed but rather pumped!

img0933tb.jpg

img0934w.jpg

Not much changed on the leg front, bit more seperation and a little growth.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom