OcUK Health Seekers: Post your progress pics

Associate
An insulin spike from 50g of carbs would last no longer than 2 hours, if that. Hardly any effect on GH levels. Its also not just carbs that release insulin, whey and casein do, too.

Man of Honour
OP
Yes but GH releases come 1hr after falling asleep! Casein does too yes, but casein is bad! ;) I agree really, 50g isn't much, certainly if it's a good Low GI carb.

Personally if I feel the need for pre-bed nutrition, hemp protein before bed is good, but as you say even proteins like steak will cause some insulin spikes, but fish is the least insulin responsive protein around.

However mixing proteins and carbs together amplifies the insulin effect on your body owing to the way they work synergistically within your body when breaking them down. Hence why mixing carbs and protein after a work out is so important (by that I don't necessarily mean protein shakes).

People rely too heavily on whey and casein IMO. However, I understand people can't afford to eat whole foods and they are a good alternative. :)

Soldato
Unreal physique Rico, no offence intended for anyone else but that's the only physique to make me go 'wow' as of yet. Wish I could build mass and stay lean like that.

Soldato
cheers FF/od, I'm sure the types of questions I ask have been asked countless amounts of times before, your patience is appreciated

Man of Honour
OP
He hasn't got that much mass though, being lean really helps to define muscle groups and tricks you in "looking" bigger. No get me wrong, Rico's efforts and diet/nutrition knowledge is top notch to be where he is not taking anything away from him. A lot of you on here could trim down - but a lot of you don't want to as you prefer holding onto some mass! :)

Soldato
No get me wrong, Rico's efforts and diet/nutrition knowledge is top notch to be where he is not taking anything away from him. A lot of you on here could trim down - but a lot of you don't want to as you prefer holding onto some mass! :)

Yeah... thats my excuse.... Not that Im too lazy to do that much cardio/eat less :p

Soldato
Green eyed monster? :p And he does have good mass regardless of whether he is lean or not. If you were to add the typical amount of fat on him like most people he would look a lot bigger. Fact of the matter is holding mass and keeping bodyfat low like that is very hard, harder than just being big because I don't see many six packs like that or chiselled chests in this forum!

Man of Honour
OP
Me? I get jealous of no one mate. :)

I won't try and change your mind as it's clear you've got it set firm in your mind. Keep training hard, eating well, and you will hit your goals. :)

Oh, and where exactly did I say it was easy? I think you'll find that I re-iterated how hard he must have worked to get to where he is.

Associate
Yes but GH releases come 1hr after falling asleep! Casein does too yes, but casein is bad! ;) I agree really, 50g isn't much, certainly if it's a good Low GI carb.

Personally if I feel the need for pre-bed nutrition, hemp protein before bed is good, but as you say even proteins like steak will cause some insulin spikes, but fish is the least insulin responsive protein around.

However mixing proteins and carbs together amplifies the insulin effect on your body owing to the way they work synergistically within your body when breaking them down. Hence why mixing carbs and protein after a work out is so important (by that I don't necessarily mean protein shakes).

People rely too heavily on whey and casein IMO. However, I understand people can't afford to eat whole foods and they are a good alternative. :)

Isn't it just a certain type of casein that's bad? Jersey milk doesn't contain it apparently.

Whey too many people rely on shakes these days. I personally haven't had any for a long time, as I have found that having it all from food is far superior.

It is very easy to get an 8 pack on show, its all done in the kitchen. Again, not taking anything away from him, as he does look great.

Hugh Jackman in x-men 3 is where its at... mainly because that is pretty much my shape (but I'm a bit smaller) lol

Last edited:
Man of Honour
OP
I remember reading it on the china study, basically stating that too much casein isn't good long term (cancer, IBS and potential growths in your intenstines etc...)

I agree everyone relies on whey these days. I get through a couple of kilos in a year. It's there to supplement my diet if I've had a **** day of eating. Or if know I'm going to be working long hours etc...

As you say, getting lean is just down to the kitchen and the effort you put into it. However, some good ol' HIIT etc... will accelerate the process.

Again, not taking anything away from teh guy - he clearly knows what he's doing, and clearly wants to stay lean and add more muscle long term. Clearly he'll achieve it.

Soldato
And he does have good mass regardless of whether he is lean or not.

I seem to recall you regarding Cam Gigandet in 'Never Back Down' as having an admirable phsyique/decent mass, where as I'm sure many others not just here but everywhere would disagree. Your opinion is just that and you can argue it until you're blue in the face with someone but if you don't see eye to eye you never will.

If you were to add the typical amount of fat on him like most people he would look a lot bigger.

Just like if you were to take it away from anybody else who had trained and eaten well they would be shredded too. Shape & defenition are exhadurated massively with low levels of bf% which is what I think FF was getting at.

Fact of the matter is holding mass and keeping bodyfat low like that is very hard

I agree entirely and tip my hat to Rico for all his efforts.

harder than just being big
I disagree that just being big is easier. Building mass takes so so much longer than burning fat. Leaning out is a simple equation of food and cardio where as building mass is a much more complicated equation and imo and ime takes much more drive and determination. Pounding out the reps and training with decent intensity is much more difficult than putting down the fork and moving more. Not that either of them are easy.

I don't see many six packs like that or chiselled chests in this forum!

That's because this forum is full of mostly novice/intermidiate lifters still learning how their body responds to diet & training. I see plenty of chisselled chests however I'm of the opinion that rippling six packs are pointless and would rather a exceptionally strong core.

Associate
The most muscle that you can build in a month -providing that all aspects of your training, diet and lifestyle are absolutely perfect- is around 2lbs. That's about 24lbs a year, if you are lucky.

You can happily lose 2lbs of fat (not just weight) a week just by putting less food down your throat, more so if you are a right tubby. That's about 104+lbs a year of weight loss (if done correctly).

Rough muscle building a year - 24lbs
Rough fat loss a year - 104lbs.

Which looks easier to you?

Associate
The most muscle that you can build in a month -providing that all aspects of your training, diet and lifestyle are absolutely perfect- is around 2lbs. That's about 24lbs a year, if you are lucky.

You can happily lose 2lbs of fat (not just weight) a week just by putting less food down your throat, more so if you are a right tubby. That's about 104+lbs a year of weight loss (if done correctly).

Rough muscle building a year - 24lbs
Rough fat loss a year - 104lbs.

Which looks easier to you?

Lol 24 lbs a year of muscle try about 6lbs and you would be about right. At 24 lbs most gyms would be full of monsters!

Back
Top Bottom