OcUK Health Seekers: Post your progress pics

Soldato
Nice lifts and looking solid as always.

I watched Rippetoe's coaching DVD on the deadlift earlier. Only thing I can suggest is to lift/push your chest a little more as opposed to dropping your hips. When setting up after your feet placement his only coaching tips are to take your grip keeping your legs straight and to then lift/push your chest foward/through this then sets your thoracic & lumbar vertebrae and your knees will flex slightly.

I haven't tried this myself and the back angle looked very close to parralell to the ground but figured it might be of some help :)

Edit: Though I forget you're quite tall. Looking a bit closer towards you on the ground might help with hip drive?

Last edited:
Man of Honour
OP
Yeah a few people have told me head down more would help a la Andy Bolton. Thanks for the advice.

Thanks for the kind words chaps. I did want to do 200kg x10 for Darkshadow and Nightmare just to wind them up, but I didn't have the heart in me by the 6th set :p

Thanks hux, my back's my best bit IMO.

Associate
Made those look very easy freefaller. Your back/shoulders didn't give at all. You must be able to do more! Do you do deads every week? What sort of rep ranges and sets do you do? I don't feel like I'm getting anywhere with mine ATM.

Man of Honour
OP
I go heavy once a week and only really do deads once a week really - it hammers you and your CNS quite hard so I like to take it easy. I should be able to do more, but it's psychological and very annoying! :p

I tend to do 6 sets of about 5-8 reps on normal training days and then 2-3 reps on heavy days. :)

Soldato
I go heavy once a week and only really do deads once a week really - it hammers you and your CNS quite hard so I like to take it easy.

How do you mean?
Not quite sure how it would effect your CNS more than anything else (which wouldn't tbh) other than general fatigue. Except that in employ's more muscle contraction, but it wouldn't effect it more than something else.

Soldato
How do you mean?
Not quite sure how it would effect your CNS more than anything else (which wouldn't tbh) other than general fatigue. Except that in employ's more muscle contraction, but it wouldn't effect it more than something else.

Afaik it's one of the most taxing lifts for the body. I can't provide science or facts as to why but I have read in several places it is. One of the reasons IRC stronglifts only has 1 set of deadlifts. I think it's due to the sheer amount of muscular skelature it recruits and the amount of effort they take.

Also anything that relies heavily upon your grip is also very taxing on the CNS too, according to CT.

Man of Honour
OP
How do you mean?

After a big dead session, bearing in mind I do other exercises too, it really does fry your CNS more so than most exercises. Whilst doing it from time to time is absolutely fine and recommended, doing it often is not, hence why I do heavy every other week. Give myself and my body time to recover. I do do a lot of volume, and I know how my body responds to such stimulus. :) CNS overloading is a common problem that is often over looked.

Something to bear in mind. Hence why training to fatigue regularly is a bad idea.

Soldato
Yeah I can def agree with you on that Benny how it is the most taxing to the body etc but I think the CNS part is one of those myths. The nervous system is signals, sending them all over the body regardless of what that muscle is doing it will eventually fatigue. 'if' it were to affect anything surely it would be the PNS? These are the ones that communicate with the muscles.
CNS fatigue would simply be running out of calcium and atp.

I just don't think the 2 correlate :)
I have no way to back it up but just from what I've studied on CNS and PNS.

Soldato
We touched on PNS along with CNS on my Level 3 though I haven't done any extra reading on the PNS since!

I think we've all experienced CNS overloading and whilst it's difficult to describe you deffinatley know when you're over doing it.

Stopping training to failure recently has probably been the best thing I've done. I still have brilliant workouts and feel satisfied come the end, I've just not totalled myself in the process. Pushing yourself to your limits has it's place of course, but not regulary, not anymore, for me anyway.

Soldato
This is sort of what I'm getting at, the nervous system sends and receives signals, it won't be like 'man I've worked hard, gimme a minute to catch up' :D it will simply stop sending a signal, ie the muscle will stop contracting and what not. There is a min voltage change to get the muscle to contract, and then that's it, its not like different levels contract it more or less.
I'm rambling my thoughts now....:)

Soldato
You can still cause damage to the CNS (not irreversible) just as any cell in your body is damaged, it repairs and all's happy. Taxing weights/volume can cause this to happen. :)

The CNS does not regenerate and 'repair' itself, brains cells can't simply regenerate. The CNS is unmyelinated and thus can't regenerate, they don't go through mitosis like other cells etc.
I'm not sure where this has come from, I had a quick google and seems to be on a few bodybuilder type websites that D/L can 'fry' your CNS :confused: lol
I may be wrong?(usually am :p) but this is from I've learned, not from forum websites etc. I always like to know the linkage between, and to me there doesn't seem to be one.
This is going WAY off track, FF get a vid up of 250 :D

EDIT: Just read that back and sounds a little pedantic :( not meant to, I am just generally interested in all this and love talking about the proper ins and outs.

Man of Honour
OP
I'm a stickler for facts too. Maybe we're both partially right and wrong at the same time? That's why we've both achieved so much in our lifting by knowing the facts rather than fable and what all the "supps" that get pushed try and sell us?

I know that the Cns doesn't technically
Regenerate itself however you can overload it like any other system within the body. Recovery is important - I have a couple of books touching on the subject I'll dig em out (and then realise that I've completely
Misunderstood what it's going on about!!! Lol! :o )

Back
Top Bottom