OcUK Health Seekers: Post your progress pics

Soldato
I'm quite short aswell, although I rarely get pumps anymore.

I love my heavy sets as well. One day I'll have nice big traps. But compared to the power I have in my back, I'm quite small.

I'll take strength over size anyday.

Soldato
Irrelevant to the exercise is the actual recruitment of the muscle during a lift.

I can adjust form for military press and deads so that trap activation is minimal however this isn't beneficial at all! Same goes for bench, I could bench with my shoulders or row with my biceps.

It's all very well doing the exercises but unless you're making a conscious effort to activate the right muscles you won't get too far.

Soldato
IMAG0010.jpg

Present Day - not an awful lot of bulk or definition really :( Just after having 2 Glasses of Port haha

I've been lifting since March 2010 consistently - but this is something to work from I guess.

I've been having a Tin of Tuna in the Morning in addition to my normal 1x scrambled egg and cereal and the Evening I have 300g of Cottage Cheese.

I'm planning to add 3x Whey Protein Shakes on my Workout Days (3 day split; planning to go to a 4 day split), one at Breakfast, one Pre-Workout and one Post Workout.

I am aiming for definition and then I can bulk up then back to definition (if that makes sense).

It's going to be a long old road, but if I get the Whey, Fish-oils and Multi-Vitamins down; - as well as the diet and add some CV as well as a better constructed routine, I should start seeing a results....

Soldato
Irrelevant to the exercise is the actual recruitment of the muscle during a lift.

I can adjust form for military press and deads so that trap activation is minimal however this isn't beneficial at all! Same goes for bench, I could bench with my shoulders or row with my biceps.

It's all very well doing the exercises but unless you're making a conscious effort to activate the right muscles you won't get too far.

How do you use biceps for rows?

Do you use reversed grip? It's something I really don't like.

I'd also say I recruit a damn good amount of muscle for my deadlifts :p

Soldato
You'd be pulling the weight using your biceps only with barely any lat involvment at all. That is a BIG mistake I was making when doing that exercise! You have imagine that you have had both arms amputated from the elbows up, and that your hands and forearms are hooks attaching your elbows to the bar. Really important for pullups and rows IMO.

Soldato
How do you use biceps for rows?

You'd be pulling the weight using your biceps only with barely any lat involvment at all. That is a BIG mistake I was making when doing that exercise! You have imagine that you have had both arms amputated from the elbows up, and that your hands and forearms are hooks attaching your elbows to the bar. Really important for pullups and rows IMO.

This.

You can use secondary or assisting muscles as the primary muscles if you have poor form and technique. Just like people who bench with shoulders & tris.

Soldato
I've never once had bicep activation in BORs.

It just sounds so weird that people can have that happen.

All I feel during and after BORs are my lats being on FIRE!

##On a note with the bench, top powerlifters and even Dorian Yates go on about how little the Pecks are used during a bench.

Specially in powerlifting with the right form and technique it seems that lats, shoulders and tri's are primaries compared to chest.

Last edited:
Soldato
I've never once had bicep activation in BORs.

It just sounds so weird that people can have that happen.

All I feel during and after BORs are my lats being on FIRE!

Generally bicep & rear delt doing the primary movements tend to be more of an issue on seated row & lat pull down.

##On a note with the bench, top powerlifters and even Dorian Yates go on about how little the Pecks are used during a bench.

Specially in powerlifting with the right form and technique it seems that lats, shoulders and tri's are primaries compared to chest.

That's because powerlifting is about shifting the greatest amount of weight between two points. Not focusing the load on to one muscle. To say that the pecs are barely used during bench is insane. I'll show you the stretch marks across my pecs to prove it.

Soldato
Generally bicep & rear delt doing the primary movements tend to be more of an issue on seated row & lat pull down.

That's because powerlifting is about shifting the greatest amount of weight between two points. Not focusing the load on to one muscle. To say that the pecs are barely used during bench is insane. I'll show you the stretch marks across my pecs to prove it.

Never really done seated rows and prefer pull ups to lat pull down. But sure if it works, it works. :)

I never said it, others have, paraphrasring. But Dorian was never a fan of it.
I prefer to use Dumbbells for Chest isolation :D

Associate
I've heard bench referred to a back movement in powerlifting circles. It makes sense really although I do understand that it obviously involves chest and and triceps but if you have a weak back it definitely affects the bench detrimentally.

Soldato
I've heard bench referred to a back movement in powerlifting circles. It makes sense really although I do understand that it obviously involves chest and and triceps but if you have a weak back it definitely affects the bench detrimentally.

I can agree with back strength helping to provide a stable platform to push from and also lats helping with the eccentric as I quite often have minor DOMS in my lats after benching. However I have to disagree if it's to be said that pectorals aren't majorly involved in the lift.

kai

kai

Soldato
Near enough 3 months cutting; i would say i have only being doing it religiously for the last month; cutting tablets controlled diet and cardio.

To say i am disappointed with the my results would be understatement; expect far better results for what seems so much more hard work than previously :(

*the only thing i have noticed really - which i kinda like is a bicep vein in both arms which can be seen now even with out pump, never had that before runs right down each arm.

Last edited:
Associate
Near enough 3 months cutting; i would say i have only being doing it religiously for the last month; cutting tablets controlled diet and cardio.

To say i am disappointed with the my results would be understatement; expect far better results for what seems so much more hard work than previously :(

*the only thing i have noticed really - which i kinda like is a bicep vein in both arms which can be seen now even with out pump, never had that before runs right down each arm.

u should be bulking IMO

kai

kai

Soldato
Currently on a cut myself with similar bf levels. What's the difference in weight between the 2 pics?

73.1kg

I am now sitting at around 69/68kg

u should be bulking IMO

we all have different goals, my aspiration is to be low body fat and look toned, if you seen what i started out like near enough 20 months ago i have bulked a lot!

Last edited:
Soldato
I wouldn't be disappointed Kai. 4/5KG isn't a great deal in terms of loss though this will of course depends on your state at the beginning. When I did a Keto cut just over a year ago between January and March I lost 9KG in total, dropping from 90KG to 81KG at my lightest. I made considerable progress but always felt there was more room for improvement.

I can't help but mention from what I seem to remember about your cutting diet & supplementation that I thought it was perhaps a little low on proper food and total calorie intake although this information isn't fresh in my mind.

Bare in mind though that photo's really don't do justice. For example after my last session of 15's I was actually looking very full and nicely shaped. A snap on my iPhone later and it looked like I didn't even train. Go by your eyes and not the camera imo.

Edit: We haven't seen any back or leg shots IRC which for me is always the first place for fat to drop off. There's no reason you can't re-evaluate your situation, adjust and keep making progress. I never expected to get anything right the first time around. There's no reason for you to be dismayed especially in comparison to when you first started lifting. And remove the T word from your vocab before GordyR comes after you with his stick ;)

Last edited:
Associate
In all honesty I'd be happy with the results, you cutting so you're not going to get any bigger. You look more defined, and you have deffineately lost some of the hip fat!

Currently on a cut too but I'm being bogged down by deadlines, gf, family arrangements and unable to train :(! although I have manged to lose 4kg since xmas I have a lot to go!

Soldato
In all honesty I'd be happy with the results, you cutting so you're not going to get any bigger. You look more defined, and you have deffineately lost some of the hip fat!

Currently on a cut too but I'm being bogged down by deadlines, gf, family arrangements and unable to train :(! although I have manged to lose 4kg since xmas I have a lot to go!

This. I dropped 7kg since christmas, was just about to FINALLY dip under 100kg this week but I've been in the labs nearly every night until 1/2/3am and binging on junk food while I'm there. I'm not even going to weigh myself until after a week of detox as it might make me ragequit.

Associate
This. I dropped 7kg since christmas, was just about to FINALLY dip under 100kg this week but I've been in the labs nearly every night until 1/2/3am and binging on junk food while I'm there. I'm not even going to weigh myself until after a week of detox as it might make me ragequit.

Haha similar same boat work time wise thinymajig, although I am trying to keep my food intake as similar to my cut as possible although I may have gone over it a bit here and there. But following some IF principals has helped, feeling full till about 1 / 2 am just before sleep is good :D!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom