OcUK Health Seekers: Post your progress pics

Soldato
My sister went through what you're going through and that surgery, I wish you all the best it was a tough ride for her but she made it through, so I am sure you will too.

She has had a colostomy bag for 6 years now, and now she has had 2 children wants the surgery to connect her all back up so to speak. She was warned this could prevent her having children hence waiting 6 years to do so.

Best of luck.

Last edited:
Associate
Matt sister went through what you're going through and that surgery, I wish you all the best it was a tough ride for her but she made it through, so I am sure you will too.

best of luck.

Yeah I can imagine it will totally be a long painful process. But to be honest if any of you know how painful and awful going thru a flare up is, seriously it's like having a chainsaw stuck in your gut and twisted around v v painful, collapsing sickness etc. I've been thru this NINE times now in the last year and a bit and it's at the stage where I really can't go thru it anymore it's no life to live and if getting surgery done is the best option then so be it. Im not wanting a bag though, been informed they can do a j-pouch so im aiming for this. Scars I can just tattoo over a year on once they heal.

Associate
Matt sister went through what you're going through and that surgery, I wish you all the best it was a tough ride for her but she made it through, so I am sure you will too.

She has had a colostomy bag for 6 years now, and now she has had 2 children wants the surgery to connect her all back up so to speak. She was warned this could prevent her having children hence waiting 6 years to do so.

Best of luck.

Yeah colostomy is awful in my oppinion. I know quite a few people with one and they say it's terrible for them and I've been told so much on it, with my lifestyle and what I do it's not for me. So I hope I can get the j-pouch. Dunno if it'll affect if I can have kids? not to bothered though to be honest lol I've had low test for a year been shut down so chances of me being fertile are low anyway.

Associate
It will change your life, for the good which ever you choose.:)

Yup this is true. I changed hospital actually, to a much better GI team and they are V efficient... they see surgery as last resort. So what they have done is ramped my meds up greatly :( in an effort almost as a "last stand" to try get this into remission. If it doesn't work, im in a "sticky" situation so to speak.

Soldato
Ended up back in hospital again was in for nearly 3 wks this time 19 days. And thing were 100 times worse this time as bowel nearly perforated, to make matters worse with the colitis flare up ended up with severe gastrointeritus (sp) which was pretty crap as was throwing up everywhere, so never eat for roughly 2 ish weeks because of this, spent 1st week in my bed eat nothing and then admitted to hospital as was severe dehydration along with the pain etc and was on a drip for another 10 days, pumped full of drugs etc...

So yet again lost another close to 25lbs lol. Came out of hosp stomach was severely swelling out due to the bowel, im close to surgery.

Just thought i'd update peeps on the situation, that picture I took on the monday when I got out of hospital, not been to gym in about a month but just started back other day, lost strength but managing 40's inc db's so can only move up, struggling to cope being on so many drugs on prednisone, cancer drug 6-mp high dose etc so not to great as im v v sick all the time and dizzy. It's been about week n half since that pic so i'll prob make progress updates. Gives me something to do and aim for right?

Just popped in here out of curiosity and noticed your post. Really sorry to hear about the flare up; I've got colitis myself and thought it was under control since going on to Azathioprine, however I'm also having a flare up now.

I've found exercise really makes my symptoms worse, does bodybuilding affect you much or does it make you feel much better?

Ended up back in hospital again was in for nearly 3 wks this time 19 days. And thing were 100 times worse this time as bowel nearly perforated, to make matters worse with the colitis flare up ended up with severe gastrointeritus (sp) which was pretty crap as was throwing up everywhere, so never eat for roughly 2 ish weeks because of this, spent 1st week in my bed eat nothing and then admitted to hospital as was severe dehydration along with the pain etc and was on a drip for another 10 days, pumped full of drugs etc...

So yet again lost another close to 25lbs lol. Came out of hosp stomach was severely swelling out due to the bowel, im close to surgery.

r8b4uv.jpg

Just thought i'd update peeps on the situation, that picture I took on the monday when I got out of hospital, not been to gym in about a month but just started back other day, lost strength but managing 40's inc db's so can only move up, struggling to cope being on so many drugs on prednisone, cancer drug 6-mp high dose etc so not to great as im v v sick all the time and dizzy. It's been about week n half since that pic so i'll prob make progress updates. Gives me something to do and aim for right?

Looking great there considering what your going through, hope it works out and improves.

The advantages of getting lean - I was tempted to do more pics but it's a public gym after all!

Bicep - sorry to hear you're having a rough time mate :(

FF, thanks for the earlier reply, whats all this bulk/lean business :p I have a feeling I need to get more leaner as I think I am carrying a layer of fat that is compromising all my efforts at the gym :o though I am far from overweight just carrying a few extra pounds due to my love of fine food :o think I need to spend a bit more time understanding diet etc to take me to the next level.

Man of Honour
OP
Classically, a lot of weight trainers (well bodybuilders really, which I'm not), used to do bulk and cut cycles. Bulk is where you're effectively eating more calories than your body requires, with the idea that those extra nutrients will help repair the muscles which have been effectively "damaged" by the exercise - that repair adds muscle/strength etc... Lifting weights and so on causes micro tears in your muscle fibres.

However, a lot of people are under the misconception that gaining lean muscle mass, and keeping lean, or even losing bodyfat is impossible. So effectively, by getting your diet right, and eating just the right amount of food, and the correct foods, you can supply your body with the nutrients it needs to function/repair, and build new muscle, but without the propensity for it to store fat. There is a bit of a dichotomy to this idea, as some of the foods that tend to help the storage of fat (carbs) cause insulin spikes, which, if used correctly can help enhance the anabolic effect of training. Insulin is an anabolic (not androgenic) hormone, and if manipulated carefully in your diet can promote muscle building. However, where a lot of people go wrong is by ignoring it's also negative effects, fat storage. Insulin is basically a hormone designed to shuttle things around your body, and reacts to glucose (which is what carbs are broken down into).

Anyway I digress.

So lean bulking is something which I've been trying to master for years - and am slowly getting the hang of it. It's been a bit of trial and error, and I've had varied results, however at the moment I seem to be heading in teh right direction.

I could very easily sit at 17st, be monsterously strong, and still look "pretty good"... but I'm just no interested in that any more, I like my functional strength, I also like my fitness. So whilst I can still lift big, I'm not bothered about being "big".

It's probably easier to have built my strength and muscle mass initially, and hold onto it whilst chiselling away at the fat, rather than start off skinny and build it up... but it is possible, you just have to be patient (i.e. it takes years).

Permabanned
im a skinny ** No swearing **I was 5'10 120lbs...Im now 140lbs but pretty ripped, veins popping on arms etc lol.

I had 10 inch arms now they are 12....I wanna get to like 150-160lbs at least and 13.5-14.5 arms.

I stalle though as I dont eat enough though I eat 3000kcals

Permabanned
It's probably easier to have built my strength and muscle mass initially, and hold onto it whilst chiselling away at the fat, rather than start off skinny and build it up... but it is possible, you just have to be patient (i.e. it takes years).

Its defo easier to lose fat and reveal muscle than it is to be a stick and build muscle.

Classically, a lot of weight trainers (well bodybuilders really, which I'm not), used to do bulk and cut cycles. Bulk is where you're effectively eating more calories than your body requires, with the idea that those extra nutrients will help repair the muscles which have been effectively "damaged" by the exercise - that repair adds muscle/strength etc... Lifting weights and so on causes micro tears in your muscle fibres.

However, a lot of people are under the misconception that gaining lean muscle mass, and keeping lean, or even losing bodyfat is impossible. So effectively, by getting your diet right, and eating just the right amount of food, and the correct foods, you can supply your body with the nutrients it needs to function/repair, and build new muscle, but without the propensity for it to store fat. There is a bit of a dichotomy to this idea, as some of the foods that tend to help the storage of fat (carbs) cause insulin spikes, which, if used correctly can help enhance the anabolic effect of training. Insulin is an anabolic (not androgenic) hormone, and if manipulated carefully in your diet can promote muscle building. However, where a lot of people go wrong is by ignoring it's also negative effects, fat storage. Insulin is basically a hormone designed to shuttle things around your body, and reacts to glucose (which is what carbs are broken down into).

Anyway I digress.

So lean bulking is something which I've been trying to master for years - and am slowly getting the hang of it. It's been a bit of trial and error, and I've had varied results, however at the moment I seem to be heading in teh right direction.

I could very easily sit at 17st, be monsterously strong, and still look "pretty good"... but I'm just no interested in that any more, I like my functional strength, I also like my fitness. So whilst I can still lift big, I'm not bothered about being "big".

Its defo easier to lose fat and reveal muscle than it is to be a stick and build muscle.

Thanks for that mate, so what you are saying basically is that because I am probably eating a little too much then it will be easier to turn this into muscle rather than vice versa? :o

Man of Honour
OP
Fat doesn't turn into muscle. You just gain muscle mass and lose bodyfat. The more lean body mass you have the higher your body's propensity to burn fat or metabolise food. That doesn't mean to say you have to be any less careful about what you eat. It just means that your body's condition will help accelerate fat loss if you give it the opportunity To. :)

However, it'll be easier for you to drop the bodyfat and maintain a good level of muscle tone and lean body mass.

Though it is entirely feasible to add lean body mass whilst not putting on fat, but it's very very hard, and long tedious work - as most people are impatient and want to see quick results!

Permabanned
PRpuq.jpg

3 months 10 days between pics

Same pose, when I look at it, feels good man

Cardio with some bodybuilding work thrown, difference is clear, dont have any before pics of my legs so cant post them.

No Retreat, No Surrender

Also that is with drinking nearly every weekend in those 3 months and having cheat meals

I could look so much better but that dedication, its hard, damn hard.

Soldato
April time last year i was 15.2 stone at 5' 9" after few years of being a bum and playing wow! End of April this year i went down to 11 stone now i'm around 12 stone after going gym for nearly 3 months, i had 0 upper body before so can start seeing some progress not much tho cause im scared of eating a lot because of my habits, altho my diet is very good i just need to eat more :( i just wish i can hopefully start seeing some progress on my chest! my bench at the gym is pants :(

2vdjjsx.jpg
[/IMG]

Caporegime
Aye well done Cheets, a definite improvement :)

To be honest mate, if you want to go out every so often and have a drink, and have 'cheat' meals, do it, it's entirely up to you, as long as YOU are happy with the results you are getting then it's fair game I say :)

Back
Top Bottom