OcUK Health Seekers: Post your progress pics

Permabanned
Could get some cheap dumbells at some point as you said, store them under your bed for instance.

Get a door-frame gym...So you can do pull-ups / chin-ups / wide grip pull-ups which will work your back and lats.

Squats can be done with some dumbells, or hell, some bottles of water or a bag of sand :p

Again, with the door-gym things you can do push-ups and dips as well, which will work your tri's and chest if done correctly.

No it won't turn you in to Mr.Olympia, but it will get the ball rolling, and to be honest if you can get good at pull-ups for instance it's a good starting point, it's something I need to work on now in all fairness.

Good call on the pull up bar, my friend had one for a bit of time. Could crack 15 pull ups and around 20 chin ups. could manage 5 assisted one hand pull ups (gripping wrist with other hand).
Always had the fear of falling flat on my arse though!

This is my room for reference:

a3ORu.jpg

Associate
This is my room for reference:

East slope shared baby, dont knock it, I was in one two years ago (52A). Still at Sussex though, you should try scraping together the money and get down to the Falmer Sports complex, its 5 mins walk for you and if you hit that three times a week and eat properly you'll see a huge change.

Last edited:
Permabanned
East slope shared baby, dont knock it, I was in one two years ago (52A). Still at Sussex though, you should try scraping together the money and get down to the Falmer Sports complex, its 5 mins walk for you and if you hit that three times a week and eat properly you'll see a huge change.

Still waiting for student finance. You in your final year?

You share a bedroom.

Wow.

Room arrangement isn't the best in the world, but it's warm and 5 mins from lectures. Not to mention I'm paying £55 a week, no deposit, all bills/council tax + ultra fast broadband included. Swings and roundabouts really.

Associate
Yup, 3rd year History.

East Slope shared is a steal, at least £1000 cheaper over the year than any other accommodation meaning you really can enjoy yourself. Kind of makes you rue moving to a house in second (minimum most people find is £80-85pw not inc. bills) as its going to end up costing at least twice as much for the year.

When your loan comes in head down the FSC and sign up, £130 for the year, £150 for free use of the other sports facilities (tennis, squash etc). Provided you stick with it its only like £1 a session and the gym facilities are awesome.

If you check the schedule they actually open up B+H Albion's training facilities for at least a couple of hours a day under supervision so theres 4 racks, 4 benches, etc etc etc all available at once.

Couldn't recommend it enough.

Permabanned
I'm not first year so I know first hand just how expensive the area usually is. Compared to what I paid last year I've saving a FORTUNE. Less than £2k for the year, vs like £4.5k for last year. Downside is that I can't live with mates, but I guess I've only myself to blame (basically dropped out at the end of last year).

Still, only a few months to go then I'm done.

Will definitely get gym membership when I get some dosh.

Soldato
Seriously mate, don't bother wasting our time :) You'd rather go out drinking than spend £25 a MONTH on the gym. Your priorities are else where, I get that. So don't keep feigning interest to make yourself feel better :) You're the only one that can actually decide to do anything about it, yet I've seen plenty of posts about you going out drinking instead. Won't catch me pandering to your "I want to get fit, but I have no money" BS posts.

Edit: I like how the santa smilies make my post seem nicer than it actually is :) ho ho ho!

Caporegime
Seriously mate, don't bother wasting our time :) You'd rather go out drinking than spend £25 a MONTH on the gym. Your priorities are else where, I get that. So don't keep feigning interest to make yourself feel better :) You're the only one that can actually decide to do anything about it, yet I've seen plenty of posts about you going out drinking instead. Won't catch me pandering to your "I want to get fit, but I have no money" BS posts.

Edit: I like how the santa smilies make my post seem nicer than it actually is :) ho ho ho!

While I agree, everyone likes to have a bit of fun.

Naturally gym and excess drinking don't go well together, so it's up to him now really :)

Permabanned

0QZig.png

Very pointed.

As has been pointed out in another thread, I'm seeking to help address certain issues with my physique due to my desire to join the armed forces, not as a hobby or lifestyle.

Yes I've spent a fair amount on drink, but substantially less than my peers do (I predrink a lot heavier, I drink nearly spirits only, buy very savvily when it comes to drink etc). Why? Because it's the climate and culture I live in.

You would rather have me remain completely sober, not drink etc for the sake of buying a gym membership? The social interaction develops me as a person and helps build friendships amongst other things. ;)

So yes you're correct in one degree, but I disagree with you completely.

When my student loan kicks me and I don't have to be so black/white about what I do with my money, I'll be buying a gym membership, but as for what I've done this term (final year so this is the last "easy" term of uni), I have no regrets whatsover.

Permabanned
While I agree, everyone likes to have a bit of fun.

Naturally gym and excess drinking don't go well together, so it's up to him now really :)

Agreed. Excess drinking will stop to a greater degree in my last 2 terms of uni, so gym time will be a lot more useful then I hope.

But no harm trying to improve myself now...........albeit on a budget. :p

Caporegime
So....Get a door-gym, and start doing stuff.

If you're going for the army route, you probably don't want to me a hulk-a-maniac anyway to be fair :p

EDIT: No harm in trying to improve yourself now, i've been there with just a small bench and 30kg of dumbells, no, it won't turn you in to some monster, but it's a start. And it's better than nothing

Permabanned
So....Get a door-gym, and start doing stuff.

If you're going for the army route, you probably don't want to me a hulk-a-maniac anyway to be fair :p

EDIT: No harm in trying to improve yourself now, i've been there with just a small bench and 30kg of dumbells, no, it won't turn you in to some monster, but it's a start. And it's better than nothing

Haha, true, I wouldn't want to turn into someone massive, something I think my small frame would have hindered me with anyway. :p

I'm looking to swap a fair bit of the fat I'm carrying for strength not size. We'll see how it goes.

Posture is the most important out of it all though.

Permabanned
icecold has a mobility thread in here somewhere, so try and find that with regards to asking about posture :)

Yeah, he's a decent chap and has offered before to set me up with a posture improvement program, not to mention I'm going to see physiotherapy soon hopefully.

Soldato
As has been pointed out in another thread, I'm seeking to help address certain issues with my physique due to my desire to join the armed forces, not as a hobby or lifestyle.

Yes I've spent a fair amount on drink, but substantially less than my peers do (I predrink a lot heavier, I drink nearly spirits only, buy very savvily when it comes to drink etc). Why? Because it's the climate and culture I live in.

Surely if you want to improve your physique for the army that's an even bigger reason to get a gym membership than just as a hobby?

Nothing wrong with having a drink but you seem to moan a fair bit about not having gym access when you clearly could have it if it was a priority. Nothing wrong with your priorities as they are from a certain perspective but obviously things have to change to get where you want to be.

I'm aware i probably come across as hypocritical getting at you for complaining about money issues, the difference is i have £30 a week to live off, 90% of which gets spent on food. I made the gym and the gym lifestyle my priority because getting my goal physique is 2nd only to getting my goal job.

Permabanned
Surely if you want to improve your physique for the army that's an even bigger reason to get a gym membership than just as a hobby?

Nothing wrong with having a drink but you seem to moan a fair bit about not having gym access when you clearly could have it if it was a priority. Nothing wrong with your priorities as they are from a certain perspective but obviously things have to change to get where you want to be.

I'm aware i probably come across as hypocritical getting at you for complaining about money issues, the difference is i have £30 a week to live off, 90% of which gets spent on food. I made the gym and the gym lifestyle my priority because getting my goal physique is 2nd only to getting my goal job.

I was under the impression the army demanded more of an emphasis on cardiovascular fitness? This I haven't been neglecting, and I'm already under 10 mins for my 1.5 mile run.

The gym aspect is to help improve stamina as well as power capabilities. Looking better is also a nice benefit. Considering that people consider me of medium build already, cutting down on some of the fat + slight size improvement should see me standing out nicely. :)

Man of Honour
Yeah, he's a decent chap and has offered before to set me up with a posture improvement program, not to mention I'm going to see physiotherapy soon hopefully.
Did you see my post recently, asking if you had bought the equipment I suggested? If you can't afford it we will make do without :)

Permabanned
Didn't see that post. However, if you're going to the trouble of making me a guide, I'll find a way to get the cash for what is needed (for bands, rollers etc). :)

Thanks.

kai

kai

Soldato
So 2 months progress since my last post; to say i have been eating like a horse would be an understatement. i have kept good shape (i think) but added a little bit of mass.

Cardio has stopped alltogether now untill April/May where i will have 10 weeks of 2hrs a day cardio to drop any unwanted fat ready i have gained as i want to be in the best possible shape for a trip with the other half to Barbados. I would say i have lost a little defination around my abs and now holding a bit of water.

relaxt.jpg

And just for the hell of it, i bought a *** vest, this has not ventured out in public yet! i dont feel brave enough :( (my excuse it looks good on ASOS not so much in real life )

lolfni.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
So 2 months progress since my last post; to say i have been eating like a horse would be an understatement. i have kept good shape (i think) but added a little bit of mass.

Cardio has stopped alltogether now untill April/May where i will have 10 weeks of 2hrs a day cardio to drop any unwanted fat ready i have gained as i want to be in the best possible shape for a trip with the other half to Barbados. I would say i have lost a little defination around my abs and now holding a bit of water.

I would love to have a body like you! Great progress!

0QZig.png

Very pointed.

You would rather have me remain completely sober, not drink etc for the sake of buying a gym membership? The social interaction develops me as a person and helps build friendships amongst other things. ;)

So yes you're correct in one degree, but I disagree with you completely.

When my student loan kicks me and I don't have to be so black/white about what I do with my money, I'll be buying a gym membership, but as for what I've done this term (final year so this is the last "easy" term of uni), I have no regrets whatsover.

I'm sorry. I really struggle to understand how you can be so far in the red at uni. I know a guy who managed to sink £600 in freshers week last year. But apart from that, most people who go out, manage to spend under £20 a week on a night out, and it is perfectly possible to do it on under 10 if you pay attention. It's plenty affordable. The few people I know with that much debt are those who drink ridiculously excessively, and those are the ones that have probably put on half a stone of weight since coming to uni due to alcohol. And having seen them going out, they really don't need anywhere near that much alcohol to have a good time.

kd

Back
Top Bottom