OcUK Health Seekers: Post your progress pics

How can you possibly know what your body needs when dieting? exact nutrient macros etc, your every day job? calorie exp do you take tht into account? such as walking up the stairs to the toilet, or going to the shops etc all burns cals, inc resting cals.

experimentation?

I've done bog standard calorie counting and not worried about macros but now I put more thought into what I eat and when I eat. Some people (myself for example) can't get away with eating loads of carbs whenver they want.

I believe, and I'm sure a lot of people on here do to, that macro ratios and timings are important. If nobody beleived that we wouldn't bother with pre/intra/post workout shakes. It is all down to the individual concerned though. Some people can eat what they want and stay lean, some people can't.

Obviously I'm not just talking about getting from being fat to being thin (that's easy enough), I'm talking about leaning out and retaining muscle.

All this counting is really not needed unless you are dieting for a show really. But im pretty shredded and follow no set diet really, just swap things in and out and I count absolutely nothing. Circa 14.5-15 stone 7-8% body fat.

Strongly disagree. Let's face it mate, you're hardly atypical of new comers to the sport or even intemediates. Kudos to your gains, physique and strength and all, but let's not go giving completely inaccurate advice based on your results.

Here bloody here. It's just another calorie control lifestyle. It's not "special" I've already proved this to be the case, and the author argues against himself in his own research.

Just eat sensibly, train hard, be happy, sleep well. And most of all, BE COMMITED AND PATIENT!!!!! That's all you need.

You need to CHOOSE a lifestyle and STICK TO IT!

If you're able to eat 3 meals a day and get all the calories and nutrients you need - GREAT! If you're happier eating 6 smaller meals a day, and still get all your calories and nutrients - GREAT! If you can't eat breakfast and/or have little time for steady meals a day and the IF style routine suits you then - GREAT!

Ultimately, all it comes down to is getting the right nutirents and calories. However the IF author even suggests himself that training fasted isn't the best idea - it's not. anybody with a modicum of understanding of biology can tell you that.

If you want to get leaner, eat less than you expend. If you want to stay lean, build more muscle as it'll use more calories and improve metabolic functions.

You can try all sorts of short term "diets" - however, for long term you need a LIFESTYLE choice that you can stick to. It just works - it's sustainable, easier, and it merges into your day to day life rather than disrupting it.

Good post.

A very vague comment really without much meaning unless you know what a decent plan is.

Eh?

A decent diet plan can obviously vary hugely from person to person as you are no doubt aware.

Things like eating healthy, eating good carbs and not 'bad' carbs, eating enough so you get the required calorie intake for maintaining current mass / gaining mass.

lifestyle or not, I find IF a lot easier to stick to when on a cut.

Yes, training fasted is silly (i don't do that) but I have no problem getting my vegetables in.

However, If I were to go for my 2000-2500 calories in 6 meals a day I would be constantly craving food and just be hungry all the time. I don't lack willpower but it is hard to stick to when I burn 3500+ daily.

But now I simply not eat until 1-2pm and skip breakfast, my pre bed casein keeps from from feeling hungry and just have lunch like everybody else, have a snack around 4:00, banana and coffee at 5:15, gym at at 6 o clock, protein shake afterwards, then dinner and pre bed protein.

I'm just skipping breakfast and obviously eat clean but I don't think I would have managed to stick to it with the classic "bodybuilding" approach.

But for size gaining - you can obviously do a lot better than IF.

Just so you know, I'm not trying to rub anyone up the wrong way here. I appreciate I'm new around here so not sure what the vibe is like.

Hehe, ahhh the vibe is fine buddy, we all like a bit of banter :D It's a good discussion.

Questions are good mate, ask and take in as much as you can really, I'm learning every day.

duvet, when Steedie said that, he solely meant the protocol in which you eat within. E.G what timings you eat to; he's not referencing the actual macros/nutrients of the food in that statement.

IF recommends eating in two sessions. Traditional eating protocols recommend (roughly) every 2.5 hours. I believe he's suggesting it doesn't matter what protocol you use, the miitgating factor in whether you'll lose weight or not is whether you're in a calorie deficit.

lifestyle or not, I find IF a lot easier to stick to when on a cut.

Yes, training fasted is silly (i don't do that) but I have no problem getting my vegetables in.

However, If I were to go for my 2000-2500 calories in 6 meals a day I would be constantly craving food and just be hungry all the time. I don't lack willpower but it is hard to stick to when I burn 3500+ daily.

But now I simply not eat until 1-2pm and skip breakfast, my pre bed casein keeps from from feeling hungry and just have lunch like everybody else, have a snack around 4:00, banana and coffee at 5:15, gym at at 6 o clock, protein shake afterwards, then dinner and pre bed protein.

I'm just skipping breakfast and obviously eat clean but I don't think I would have managed to stick to it with the classic "bodybuilding" approach.

But for size gaining - you can obviously do a lot better than IF.

Clearly that lifestyle works for you :) So it's something you've integrated into your life. :)

Macros don't even matter, for us wanting to keep muscle it does

But if you were someone who just wanted to lose weight, whether you ate 2000 calories of McDonalds, or 2000 calories of super clean food, if you're in a calorie deficit, you'd lose weight

Obviously I'm not encouraging that though

Macros don't even matter, for us wanting to keep muscle it does

But if you were someone who just wanted to lose weight, whether you ate 2000 calories of McDonalds, or 2000 calories of super clean food, if you're in a calorie deficit, you'd lose weight

Obviously I'm not encouraging that though

Yeah, I just automatically assume everyone wants to keep muscle! But yeah, for those that are obese or whatever and are just concerned with dropping weight asap then calorie deficit is what's important.

We need a separate diet/nutrution thread. We've thoroughly raped this one!

Back
Top Bottom