OcUK Health Seekers: Post your progress pics

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
That's fair enough. Just wanted to know as it helps people understand the lift you are doing much better. 60kg is really impressive, how many reps do you do?

Soldato
Yes you can't call it Military Press, that's a very strict movement ;)
Chicco, I'm curious about the DB press. Do you have a flat back and keep the line of moment in line with your body?
Reason I ask is because it's common practice for most people to have their back curved a bit and the DBs come out a bit in front of the body. Basically it allows chest/triceps to be used more.

Doing it strict I can do 34-38kg DBs, with the form mentioned above I can do 45kgs.
I'm not trying to take anything away from your lift as 60kg is immense either way. But I think it's important to understand how you do your lift so people can't put things into perspective. Abit like saying you did 140kg military press blew people's minds.

Differences between then?

See in bold :p

Man of Honour
Err why? I have very strong shoulders. Quite simple really.
I didn't mean any offence! More than anything I just like seeing videos of peoples lifts.

I suspected you had less than strict form, which you've agreed is the case. This is all well and good if all you really care about is aesthetics*, but it makes for crappy strength comparisons. It's the same as someone saying they squat "x" but the don't go anywhere near parallel, because it isn't standardised it's impossible to compare it.

If you don't care about that stuff then that's that, I'm not going to try and make you :)

I was having a discussion with my flatmate the other day on a similar topic: how many people can military press their seated DB press numbers, or even single arm push press their DB press numbers? Probably not many, based on 99% of people using a lot of chest and back rest in the lift.

If you're worried about injury then that should be the first thing you address. From the sounds of things you would benefit from some DIY internal and external rotation mobility work (not the same thing as rotator cuff exercises).

*although I would actually argue that strict form improves proportioning.

Associate
Err why? I have very strong shoulders. Quite simple really.

Mate, you must have been training long enough to know why this is hard to believe. For someone of your size, you should take it as a given that people will find it hard believe you dumbbell press the 60s. I can't see why you're surprised by this. It's very impressive.

Anyway it's actually annoying when people try and call you out, I'll be going to the Muscleworks meet so you guys can see for yourself.

If I were pressing the 60s, I'd expect, if not want, peolpe to call me out. Absolutely no offense is intended, this should be obvious given the context. Again, impressive. I'd love to see a video as for one, it would be cool to see someone pressing two dumbbells that each nearly weigh the same as the lifter!

(obligatory smiley) :)

Man of Honour
OP
I can do a 50kg dumbell snatch... Does that count?! :p

60kg shoulder press is beyond my dreams. Push press yeah, but anything else... no chance. My shoulders just don't work well in the plane of motion :(

BB I can just about do 70 maybe 80kg standing with strict form and no push press....

Jealous.

I'm weak.

Caporegime
I can do a 50kg dumbell snatch... Does that count?! :p

60kg shoulder press is beyond my dreams. Push press yeah, but anything else... no chance. My shoulders just don't work well in the plane of motion :(

BB I can just about do 70 maybe 80kg standing with strict form and no push press....

Jealous.

I'm weak.

Did you not do a heavier hang clean and press at the last meet? Or whatever it was :p

EDIT: Power Clean then :o

http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showpost.php?p=21097954&postcount=732

Last edited:
Man of Honour
I make it my mission now in the gym if I see anyone doing them to give them advice not to. Whether they listen or not is up to them but its held me back so much I don't want anyone else to go through the same drama
They're a horrible exercise. I'm on a similar mission, but these days I pick and choose more carefully who I give advice to. Similarly with lower backs with deads and squats, but it's rare to actually see people doing those!

Back
Top Bottom