OcUK Health Seekers: Post your progress pics

Soldato
Stats Ksanti?

You're lean enough just to go full retard on a bulk and make outrageous gains, good luck

5'10, c. 60kg, no clue on body fat.

Haha I'm not sure I quite want to go full retard, if there's one thing the internet's told me it's to never go full retard. Maybe 80% retard? In any case, got dumbbells at home now and holidays coming up so should be able to hopefully make some serious gains by september :)

Soldato
Not with dumbbells at home you won't.

*unless you're talking all the increments up to 30+kg

:(

I'm trying to stick to stuff I can do at home otherwise the time drain that going to the gym will be may well end up just totally killing off my motivation/commitment. There's a gym at school but it's really small and constantly full so it would be a waste of time. I guess after summer this year I could get an LA membership as there's one near both home and school so when I'm at school during the week I could go as well as in weekends/holidays?

Of course, I'm not looking to get massive, it wouldn't suit me at all. Just stop being so damned weedy.

Man of Honour
The DBs you have are most likely going to be very limiting in terms of potential effect on your physique.

That goal of yours won't be built by doing bicep curls and pressups.

Caporegime
The DBs you have are most likely going to be very limiting in terms of potential effect on your physique.

Give the guy a hand on a routine then? :p

He may not get to where he really wants to be, but for the time being he can do a fair whack with DB's and BW :)

Soldato

Dumbbells are a little more versatile than just curls, aren't they? I realise that I will eventually need more weight if I decide I want to get properly big, and maybe different equipment, but in the meantime I can still kill my arms on 7.5kg DBs fairly easily, and when I need more weight I can just buy more weight, surely?

Caporegime
Dumbbells are a little more versatile than just curls, aren't they? I realise that I will eventually need more weight if I decide I want to get properly big, and maybe different equipment, but in the meantime I can still kill my arms on 7.5kg DBs fairly easily, and when I need more weight I can just buy more weight, surely?

Your first line confused me...but nevermind :p

What he's saying is, a set of DB's aren't going to get you a majorly impressive physique, and doing Bicep curls aren't going to do anything to your core, your shoulders, your back, legs, chest or anything else.

You need to get a proper routine setup that works every muscle group, not just your arms :)

Soldato
Your first line confused me...but nevermind :p

What he's saying is, a set of DB's aren't going to get you a majorly impressive physique, and doing Bicep curls aren't going to do anything to your core, your shoulders, your back, legs, chest or anything else.

You need to get a proper routine setup that works every muscle group, not just your arms :)

The first line was just saying it seemed like he was saying all you can do with DBs is bicep curls (hence the pushups and bicep curls comment). I know you need a reoutine, of course I wasn't planning to just do curls and expect core out of that. I thought he was saying that DBs weren't really gonna help at all regardless of what I did. I have an idea of what I'm gonna do as a routine, though no idea what the names of each thing is really haha.

How about something like this? This doesn't really leave room to really kill something then give it half a week to recover (ie to split core, arms+back, legs)as it puts it all together, though :/
http://www.menshealth.co.uk/building-muscle/abs-workout/the-six-week-six-pack-159988

Soldato
They are, but as pointed out you're going to be very limited unless you have every increment up to at least 30kg. It's not that you can just buy more weight, you will need the extra weight from the start, for example you'd be hitting 30kg doing bent over rows in no time.

If you absolutely had to, you can get an awful lot done with DB's, providing you have enough. 7.5kg is too little to do any worthwhile chest work from the start, it's a decent starting point for lateral/front raises so you can get some kind of shoulder work done though.

Bottom line, you need an appropriate amount of weights from the beginning otherwise you will be severely handicapped.

Caporegime
Well, first up, go read up on some exercises and what they are :)

Might be worth posting in the Gym Ratz thread to ask for a routine with your DB's, and explain that you will be joining up to a gym eventually, but you want something to get your started etc

Soldato
Bottom line, you need an appropriate amount of weights from the beginning otherwise you will be severely handicapped.

Yeah the ones I have at the moment are a 20kg set. Do spinlock dumbell weights have a standardised holde diameter? i.e. could I buy just any 8x5kg discs to make up the weight, or will they be brand specific?

Yeah I haven't really been killing my chest or arms with the 7.5kg it's been mostly front and side raises (I think that's what they're called at least) that have been hard.

Thanks for the help though, guys. I'll post up in Gym Ratz to try and sort something out :)

Caporegime
Yeah the ones I have at the moment are a 20kg set. Do spinlock dumbell weights have a standardised holde diameter? i.e. could I buy just any 8x5kg discs to make up the weight, or will they be brand specific?

Yeah I haven't really been killing my chest or arms with the 7.5kg it's been mostly front and side raises (I think that's what they're called at least) that have been hard.

Thanks for the help though, guys. I'll post up in Gym Ratz to try and sort something out :)

You can do some floor chest presses with the 7.5's, they should hit the chest if done correctly, you could also do DB flyes with the 7.5's with strict form.

Hell, the 7.5's are bad enough for me on flyes :p But thats more due to my shoulder

Soldato
If anything kills your motivation it will be not seeing gains, which may well happen if you don't get your arse down the gym :p

Touche. Okay game plan is to kill it as much as I can for summer, then if I'm not happy with how things have gone I'll get a gym membership on top of MOAR WEIGHTS :)

Soldato
You can do some floor chest presses with the 7.5's, they should hit the chest if done correctly, you could also do DB flyes with the 7.5's with strict form.

Hell, the 7.5's are bad enough for me on flyes :p But thats more due to my shoulder

*googles flyes* /That/'s what they are. Yeah I did those and with strict form that was really hard at the wide end.

Alright what I did today was
15 side-to-side pushups
15 DB flyes
15 chest presses
15 front raises
15 lateral raises (didn't quite manage all of these to the top)
15 shoulder presses
15 squats
15 bicep curls either side

I know I need to turn that into an actual routine with lower reps and splitting into sets as well as splitting groups but I was just seeing how the extra weight felt, and if my skin thing flared up without antihistamines and with the new weight.

Last edited:
Soldato
Go and look in the sticky thread and find the beginners guide to bodybuilding. It's a solid routine to start out.

Don't use the excuse of making the trip to the gym could sap your enthusiasm because if you have that kind of concern now then you won't make it past 4 weeks doing the routine at home.

Check out the form and mobility discussion thread in the section as this is especially good for beginners to pick up the correct form from the start.

Any advice or question you have either ask in the gym rats thread , form thread, or supplements thread. There is a lot of good knowledge around and a lot of helpful people :)

Suprised it hasn't been mentioned yet either but make sure you fix your diet otherwise your training time could be a total waste :)

Back
Top Bottom