• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

OcUK Nvidia RTX series review thread

Caporegime
I will say it again, DLSS is clearly not on the level of native 4K as it's showing clear detail loss, and that's in a closed loop environment to boot, not actual gameplay. Expect to see visual gap widen as other forms of AA are used rather than the soft mess of TAA. It is much more comparable to lowering render scale by 10-20% (an option which is ubiquitous and not card dependent). The advantage of DLSS will have to be its 2x implementation.

DLSS would have been a big boon for budget gamers perhaps but it's noticeably missing there. Obviously for enthusiasts compromising on visual quality is against the ethos.

When AMD were lowering IQ in their drivers, there was absolute hell on! :D

Soldato
I will say it again, DLSS is clearly not on the level of native 4K as it's showing clear detail loss, and that's in a closed loop environment to boot, not actual gameplay. Expect to see visual gap widen as other forms of AA are used rather than the soft mess of TAA. It is much more comparable to lowering render scale by 10-20% (an option which is ubiquitous and not card dependent). The advantage of DLSS will have to be its 2x implementation.

DLSS would have been a big boon for budget gamers perhaps but it's noticeably missing there. Obviously for enthusiasts compromising on visual quality is against the ethos.

You seem to fundamentally not understand how youtube or DLSS work. Youtube do not support lossless compression - all uploaded videos are processed by youtube and include lossy compression.

DLSS is not upscaling TO 4K, its running at native 4K and THEN applying antialiasing on top.

Associate
Someone posted it here so I added it to the list - I haven't gone through all of the reviews due to time,so should I remove it then?
It felt more like an impression video than a review. It doesn't have any real benchmarking results and comparisons to other cards.

Have a look yourself when you get time and decide.

Soldato
DLSS is not upscaling TO 4K, its running at native 4K and THEN applying antialiasing on top.

That's not actually true.

1. DLSS X1 is running internally at 1440p and uses the trained AI to upscale to 4K as well antialias. This is what you can see running in the previously posted clip as the video commentators explain. Although it is virtually indistinguishable from native 4K, in some stills it looks as though you lose a minute amount of detail, but in others it actually looks far better than native 4K due to it handling transparency aliasing much more cleanly.

Ultimately, this mode provides a huge performance boost for barely any quality loss, and in some cases, actually improves the image.

2. DLSS X2 is as you describe. It runs internally at 4K (or the set resolution) and only uses the AI to perform ultra high quality antialiasing that is significantly better and faster performing than TAA. (No one has seen that running yet, apparently)

Personally, it's DLSS X1 that excites me the most as it could allow us to run raytraced games that look great on a 4K display at 60+ fps.

Last edited:
Associate
You seem to fundamentally not understand how youtube or DLSS work. Youtube do not support lossless compression - all uploaded videos are processed by youtube and include lossy compression.

That is actually not correct. It is a form of cheating like what the PS4 and Xbox One X use (checker boarding). Watch the DF video and they state some frames are rendered at 1440p. From what I gather not ALL frames but some.

Soldato
Laymans Q on DLSS - if a game gets new DLC or content will it have to go back to the NV supercomputer for reanalysis?

I can see no reason for that to be the case. Not unless the art style is so drastically different from the original game.

But potentially sending it back and reanalysing the game with the included DLC would allow DLSS to provide the best possible image quality under all circumstances.

Until we have a better understanding of the way it operates on a technical level, we can't be certain either way.

Associate
Did you actually watch the video? They said there weren't any clear noticeable artefacts and that they had to look extremely closely for them. The called DLSS phenomenally impressive https://youtu.be/MMbgvXde-YA.

Something I saw on Anand forums, which unfortunately the DF video doesn't do a side by side of, is that someone pointed out there's a difference between two cars when comparing TAA and DLSS. Notice anything different between the blue car in the last two photos? Sauce: Bit-Tech

Soldato
OP
Something I saw on Anand forums, which unfortunately the DF video doesn't do a side by side of, is that someone pointed out there's a difference between two cars when comparing TAA and DLSS. Notice anything different between the blue car in the last two photos? Sauce: Bit-Tech

The car looks different and the image looks a tad blurrier with DLSS on,but has better edges.

Soldato
That's not actually true.

1. DLSS X1 is running internally at 1440p and uses the trained AI to upscale to 4K as well antialias. This is what you can see running in the previously posted clip as the video commentators explain. Although it is virtually indistinguishable from native 4K, in some stills it looks as though you lose a minute amount of detail, but in others it actually looks far better than native 4K due to it handling transparency aliasing much more cleanly.

Ultimately, this mode provides a huge performance boost for barely any quality loss, and in some cases, actually improves the image.

2. DLSS X2 is as you describe. It runs internally at 4K (or the set resolution) and only uses the AI to perform ultra high quality antialiasing that is significantly better and faster performing than TAA. (No one has seen that running yet, apparently)

Personally, it's DLSS X1 that excites me the most as it could allow us to run raytraced games that look great on a 4K display at 60+ fps.

All DLSS is doing is cutting down on detail to get the FPS up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y_usUAXRnGg

Stop at 20 seconds and look at the girls face.

Back
Top Bottom