• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

OcUK RTX4070 review thread

Soldato
OP
Zero surprises there, the leaks were bang on by the sounds of it. An interesting thing is that bang for buck is similar to 7900 XT according to Techpowerup graphs although technically I guess you could have worked that out before the review (I just didn't!)

Also interesting that it's on 5nm rather than 4nm like the 4090 - no wonder the it seems badly positioned by comparison, it's like a refresh behind.

TSMC 4N is an improved 5NM process. Just like TSMC 6NM is an improved 7NM.

Caporegime
Have we ever seen the price of last gen GPU's go up above original MSRP before and during the launch of next gen?

Nvidia are trying that out for size and i bet it will work.

Last edited:
OcUK Staff
Hi there

Those buying a 4070 please take note there are two types of 4070, 1x 8-Pin models and 1x 16-pin 12V models, the latter require the new connector and maybe boost a little higher in frequency, but also cost more been flagship OC models.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
AMD researchers will be reading this, give us and tech jurnalists something to cheer about, take the win, its right there.... don't do a 7900XT.

The need to get the Navi 32 based RX7800XT out. Make it a 16GB card and offer it at under £500. Apparently it has around 2/3 the shaders of Navi31 and that would place it around the RX6800XT/RTX3080 level at qHD:

Soldato
Taken from elsewhere but - ---

In the crowded market of tech, A man in leather stands tall, He sells graphics cards to the flock, The sheep answer his every call.

With promises of power and speed, He lures them with a silver tongue, Expensive cards that they don't need, But still, they fall for his con.

He counts his money with a grin, As he watches the sheep pay up, A greedy heart that's made of sin, He never seems to get enough.

But in the end, the truth is clear, He preys upon the naive and weak, A soul that's lost, consumed by fear, His greed, a treasure he cannot keep.

So let us all beware of him, This man in leather, a thief in guise, And make sure we don't fall for his whim, Or else we'll pay the ultimate price.

Last edited:
Caporegime
The need to get the Navi 32 based RX7800XT out. Make it a 16GB card and offer it at under £500. Apparently it has around 2/3 the shaders of Navi31 and that would place it around the RX6800XT/RTX3080 level at qHD:

Yeah tho i think it will be clocked higher.

also is it monolithic or still MCM?

Either way i don't think AMD can charge $600 for it, they may have wanted to but its also an oportunity to do it right, Nvidia are not going to drop the 4070 to $500, i think Jens would sooner stab himself in the eye with a pen.

Soldato
OP
Yeah tho i think it will be clocked higher.

also is it monolithic or still MCM?

Either way i don't think AMD can charge $600 for it, they may have wanted to but its also an oportunity to do it right, Nvidia are not going to drop the 4070 to $500, i think Jens would sooner stab himself in the eye with a pen.

MCM I think.

Last edited:
Soldato
What a shame, I'm in the market for a £600 new card.

If only it had more vram, a bigger bus and was a good bit faster :D
Likewise, but realistically is there anything else out, or about to release, worth considering around the same £500-600 price point?

I get that it’s more of an overpriced 4060 than an actual -70 series cards but in 2023 given the market right now it doesn’t seem unreasonably priced given the performance and feature set it has IMO.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Likewise, but realistically is there anything else out, or about to release, worth considering around the same £500-600 price point?

Well, not anymore. But it seems the only advantage we have at that price point is DLSS 3 and better power efficiency.

This sort of performance is already available for similar money.

This does obviously supersede anything in that orbit due to it being new and efficient, but it is still a bit rubbish.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Ah but if you go one generation further down the GTX 770 was a lemon, too.

It was.
The 4070Ti should have been the 4070 and the 4070 should have been the 4060ti basically.
Technically the AD104 is really a GA106 replacement. So the RTX4070TI should have been an RTX4060/RTX4060TI! But even the change you suggested would have at least improved VRAM by 50% and it shows you how greedy Nvidia have been this generation,especially with cratering RAM prices.

Back
Top Bottom