• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

OcUK RTX4080 16GB review thread

It's called sarcasm lmao

I thought Brits had a good sense of humour :cry:

giphy.webp

They should've packaged the 7900XT with 16GB of VRAM and released it as that 7800 XTX - maybe not for $599 but $799 tops. Like the 4080, it seems to exist solely to make the next card up look more attractive. Like Intel, AMD had a wide open goal this time round and flubbed it.

I would not have got it at $799 either, not with a weak ass sterling anyway. Sweet spot for me and many would be in the £600-£650 range. That's still a lot of money and more than a PS5.

People only want AMD to be cheaper so Nvidia will drop their prices and then they will just go and buy an Nvidia card. AMD cant win.

That maybe the case for some, but not for all. Many here would go AMD if similar price for performance. I really do not think it is a case of AMD cannot win. They had like 50% market share at one point. But it has been a while where they neither have the top end card of the generation nor compete on price. What do you think is going to happen? They keep losing market share.

I am sure many thought AMD would not win against Intel either. They either need to have better products or price more aggressively on certain sku's. I am not saying they should sell every single card in their range for minimum profit. Just target one card and keep profits low on it to gain market share and mind share.

TBH, people give of about nvidia having mindshare and all the comments on people locking themselves into the nvidia ecosystem (even though that ecosystem is arguably better than what amd have, not to mention, usually on the market first with wanted features....) imo, amd fans are just as bad, if not worse, as in, they will defend everything and not apply the same arguments/attacks against amd when they are attacking nvidia for the same reason e.g. just look at the 7900xtx and 7900xt, it is clear they have done exactly the same move of shifting tiers about and upping the prices but those people don't bat an eyelid when it comes to amd doing the same move (don't forget, amd are able to make their gpus for cheaper with this chiplet design as well, what happened to them savings being passed onto the customers? Has anyone got the margins figures for these gpus?) Then look at what has happened with the cpu space, intel are now considered the better bang per buck for the new cpus.... However, with nvidia and intel, they're "scum", "people should boycott nvidia" etc. People act like amd are on their last legs and only worth a couple of million when reality is, they are in a VERY good position and arguably a much better position than nvidia, remember, nvidias sole focus is the desktop gpu space, amd have their fingers in lots of pies..... This is where amd have masterfully convinced their fans they are the "peoples champion" and the "good guys", same way amd have somehow managed to convince people that closed source is "bad!" when reality is, it's not bad and has many advantages over open source approaches but this last bit is largely down to most people not working in tech/development industry for themselves and so can only listen to amds PR.

As it is right now, having looked at 4080 reviews, it looks like a great gpu (especially the power efficiency, uses less power than a 3080) but price is too much, I could easily afford it but it's the principle of paying 1+k for it, technically it would be 800 after selling the 3080 on but still doesn't sit right with me. That and you just know a ti will drop next year... I've said it before that rdna 3 is a fantastic gpu all round and so was rdna 2, only reason I won't go back is I like RT and dlss, that and they will also be 1+k here.....

Yeah, can't argue with that.

The 4080 should have been no more than $799 and even at that price which would mean £900 here I would not have got one. As you say, it is not that I cannot afford it. For me it is simply the case of I can't justify it as there is nothing on the horizon that my 3080 Ti cannot deal with to my satisfaction. Let's be honest, there is a good chance next gen 4080 performance will be £500 at most, probably less. It is on such a small die that I cannot see why not other than Nvidia being greedy and AMD not bringing the competition. Not only will it be that price in the form of a 5060 Ti or something, it will be more efficient.

If I were you I would pick up a used 3080 Ti or 3090 and skip a gen. Nvidia won't be dropping prices any time soon. I mean what are you other options? A well over priced 4070 Ti? Sticking with you 3080? I mean come on, will 10GB be enough for the next 2 years? Hahaha :D:cry::p

Last edited:
Yeah, can't argue with that.

The 4080 should have been no more than $799 and even at that price which would mean £900 here I would not have got one. As you say, it is not that I cannot afford it. For me it is simply the case of I can't justify it as there is nothing on the horizon that my 3080 Ti cannot deal with to my satisfaction. Let's be honest, there is a good chance next gen 4080 performance will be £500 at most, probably less. It is on such a small die that I cannot see why not other than Nvidia being greedy and AMD not bringing the competition. Not only will it be that price in the form of a 5060 Ti or something, it will be more efficient.

If I were you I would pick up a used 3080 Ti or 3090 and skip a gen. Nvidia won't be dropping prices any time soon. I mean what are you other options? A well over priced 4070 Ti? Sticking with you 3080? I mean come on, will 10GB be enough for the next 2 years? Hahaha :D:cry::p

I will be missing this generation. Maybe NVIDIA will get some sense next time. I happen to think that even AMD are overpriced too. I have reached a crisis point when a "mere" graphics card goes over £1000!!

Last edited:
I will be missing this generation. Maybe NVIDIA will get some sense next time. I happen to think that even AMD are overpriced too. I have reached a crisis point when a "mere" graphics card goes over £1000!!

Yep. AMD might be more competitive, but they are still over priced. These companies just want to maximise their profits for shareholders. They could be pricing the cards much lower and making a profit still.

Your maths is way off there $1199 has become £1269, so $799, would be £845 using the same conversion rate, so still a crap deal. £699-729 would be the correct price at most.

Says way off, shows £55 difference.. I am sure anything but an FE or clown edition will cost that much extra ;)

@Nexus18

Even though I have a 3080 TI, guess what game I fancy buying and playing now?

Will 12GB be enough though?

Anyway, this is slowly heading off topic. Better bow out before posts start getting deleted :p:D

Conclusion? 4080 great card, Crap price.

£55 is way off, or would you be happy to overpay by £55 on every £845 you spend? But I guess you are talking £55 in Nvidia GPU pricing, where you can't even get a GT1030 for that anymore. ;)

As I said, that £55 would be gobbled up by most cards that are not FE or clown edition. So not way off.

You want to know what is way off? Nvidia wanting £1300+ for a 4080 and £1600+ for a 4090. That's what's way off ;)

And as shown FE cards are now among the best you can buy, so why would you pay more for something the same or worse? Heck the 4080 has a 4090 cooler on it.

Tell that to many who buy non FE cards, but anyway, yes £55 is way off. You gonna be OK m8? :cry:

So why is the Asus GeForce RTX 4080 Strix Gaming OC 16GB GDDR6X PCI-Express Graphics Card just £100 less than the 4090 FE card.
Total Absurd BS. And why are they more expensive than the Founders version, offering absolutely no performance advantage.

Sorry, my bad, you're paying hundreds more for the privilege of actually having a better chance to have one.

Last edited:
That maybe the case for some, but not for all. Many here would go AMD if similar price for performance. I really do not think it is a case of AMD cannot win. They had like 50% market share at one point. But it has been a while where they neither have the top end card of the generation nor compete on price. What do you think is going to happen? They keep losing market share.

I am sure many thought AMD would not win against Intel either. They either need to have better products or price more aggressively on certain sku's. I am not saying they should sell every single card in their range for minimum profit. Just target one card and keep profits low on it to gain market share and mind share.

id say its the case for the vast majority of people, especially when Radeon still seem to have the 'Driver issues' myth looming over them.

Radeon came in with the perfect RX470/480 for mid range gaming, and im guessing the 1060 outsold it by a lot.

Obnoxious GeForce RTX 4080 scalper prices close in on double Nvidia's MSRP of US$1,199 on launch day​

Numerous variants of the GeForce RTX 4080 graphics card have found their way into the hands of unscrupulous scalpers, with prices on eBay already skipping past the US$2,300 mark. Nvidia launched the GeForce RTX 4080 with a starting price of US$1,199, which has already been perceived as a high price to pay for the relative performance.

The 4080 is at a stupid price and is therefore a stupid card. Spending absolute premium money (BEYOND premium money - not that long ago you could have paid £1,269 and got a free mobo, RAM, CPU, maybe even a case and some haribo with your gpu) to get a card which is not absolute premium is stupid.

I normally try to be pretty level headed and flesh out arguments, but there don't seem to be any good reasons to purchase the 4080 at anything like the prices set. It is (subject to actual benchmarks) making the upcoming 7900XT and XTX seem like good prices AND THEY WILL BE A THOUSAND POUNDS.

The 4090 is also a ridiculous price, but at least it is a pinnacle card - I don't agree, but I can understand that as a top of the line product. The 4080 is like a badge of more money than sense. DLSS 3 will have to absolutely take off overnight before it comes close to making any kind of sense as far as I can tell, but even if this does happen it strengthens arguments for potential 4070 and 4060s (which will presumably be priced accordingly).

Back
Top Bottom