• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

OcUK RTX4080 16GB review thread

Some competitors were pricing "today only" and "Black Friday deal" from Day 1 yet strangely look the same terrible price as everyone else. The regulators need to come down on these tech companies which includes Ocuk as some dodgy practices been going on last few years with regards to savings and offers. It's not right. As someone pointed out I'm glad there has been some sanity and most refusing to pay these obscene prices. Stay strong peeps x

sparta-hold-them.gif

people on these forums have about as much backbone as a jellyfish when it comes to holding back on nvidias scalped prices

The irony is that many will look at the reference and cheaper AIB 7900 XT at ~£950ish and the 7900 XTX at £1050ish and think, "hmmm not too bad".

So by the time the 7800 XT and 4070 come out at £750 - £800 and offer ~15% - 25% more performance than the 6800 XT or 3080, they will think "this is cheap".

That maybe the case for some, but not for all. Many here would go AMD if similar price for performance. I really do not think it is a case of AMD cannot win. They had like 50% market share at one point. But it has been a while where they neither have the top end card of the generation nor compete on price. What do you think is going to happen? They keep losing market share.

I am sure many thought AMD would not win against Intel either. They either need to have better products or price more aggressively on certain sku's. I am not saying they should sell every single card in their range for minimum profit. Just target one card and keep profits low on it to gain market share and mind share.

Also they need to start focussing on what they can do to differentiate themselves from nvidia, always just following in nvidias footsteps (which doesn't give them the "leader & premium" brand image they want) e.g. of the top of my head, I don't care for most of things below but it's just examples

- freesync was what 1-2 years later? Not to mention getting it on par with gsync with having better ranges on monitors, LFC etc.
- RT
- FSR 1 several months later then fsr 2 a couple months later
- Frame generation/fluid motion, out of nowhere announced but no sign of it landing till next year and probably later in the year at that....
- Their Nvidia Reflex competitor announced after how long nvidia having this?
- shadowplay and nvenc, how long did amd take to catchup on recording/streaming capability and arguably still are not there yet iirc?
- RTX voice, think amd released their competing solution just recently or is it still in the works?

Only thing I can think of amd having "first" and doing better with is SAM i.e. resize bar but then nvidia enabled it on their end quickly after... Given amd have full access to the chipset as well, it's no surprise they see more of a benefit on all hardware. When it comes to "drivers/feature set", the main thing that people always refer to is "amd cp looks better", which it is by a hundred miles but how often do people use the driver control panel? :cry: That and the sharpening slider by amd, which is very good but nvidia have 2 methods of sharpening too, that and redux/sweetfx would do better than both, personally I don't like sharpening though as can notice the artifacts it creates.

Maybe with the 7800xt 7700xt, which will be the main gpu for most people, they will be very aggressive in pricing and have a 3080 type of gpu but as they have shown on plenty of occasions now, they will just follow whatever nvidia do.

Yeah, can't argue with that.

The 4080 should have been no more than $799 and even at that price which would mean £900 here I would not have got one. As you say, it is not that I cannot afford it. For me it is simply the case of I can't justify it as there is nothing on the horizon that my 3080 Ti cannot deal with to my satisfaction. Let's be honest, there is a good chance next gen 4080 performance will be £500 at most, probably less. It is on such a small die that I cannot see why not other than Nvidia being greedy and AMD not bringing the competition. Not only will it be that price in the form of a 5060 Ti or something, it will be more efficient.

If I were you I would pick up a used 3080 Ti or 3090 and skip a gen. Nvidia won't be dropping prices any time soon. I mean what are you other options? A well over priced 4070 Ti? Sticking with you 3080? I mean come on, will 10GB be enough for the next 2 years? Hahaha :D:cry::p

Still waiting to pick up grims 3090 for £350 and a half eaten ham sandwich :p ;) :D

I'm good for now, like you, there isn't much on the horizon atm but portal rtx, cp rt overdrive, atomic heart will probably make me want a 4080 or even 4090 :cry: And still waiting on all these games where supposedly 10gb isn't enough.... :p

In all honesty though, I wouldn't be surprised if nvidia drop prices if rdna 3 does outsell ada, didn't nvidia do this once before, was it with the 780/ti?

• Haha
Reactions: TNA
Also they need to start focussing on what they can do to differentiate themselves from nvidia, always just following in nvidias footsteps (which doesn't give them the "leader & premium" brand image they want) e.g. of the top of my head, I don't care for most of things below but it's just examples

- freesync was what 1-2 years later? Not to mention getting it on par with gsync with having better ranges on monitors, LFC etc.
- RT
- FSR 1 several months later then fsr 2 a couple months later
- Frame generation/fluid motion, out of nowhere announced but no sign of it landing till next year and probably later in the year at that....
- Their Nvidia Reflex competitor announced after how long nvidia having this?
- shadowplay and nvenc, how long did amd take to catchup on recording/streaming capability and arguably still are not there yet iirc?
- RTX voice, think amd released their competing solution just recently or is it still in the works?

Only thing I can think of amd having "first" and doing better with is SAM i.e. resize bar but then nvidia enabled it on their end quickly after... Given amd have full access to the chipset as well, it's no surprise they see more of a benefit on all hardware. When it comes to "drivers/feature set", the main thing that people always refer to is "amd cp looks better", which it is by a hundred miles but how often do people use the driver control panel? :cry: That and the sharpening slider by amd, which is very good but nvidia have 2 methods of sharpening too, that and redux/sweetfx would do better than both, personally I don't like sharpening though as can notice the artifacts it creates.

Maybe with the 7800xt 7700xt, which will be the main gpu for most people, they will be very aggressive in pricing and have a 3080 type of gpu but as they have shown on plenty of occasions now, they will just follow whatever nvidia do.

Still waiting to pick up grims 3090 for £350 and a half eaten ham sandwich :p ;) :D

I'm good for now, like you, there isn't much on the horizon atm but portal rtx, cp rt overdrive, atomic heart will probably make me want a 4080 or even 4090 :cry: And still waiting on all these games where supposedly 10gb isn't enough.... :p

In all honesty though, I wouldn't be surprised if nvidia drop prices if rdna 3 does outsell ada, didn't nvidia do this once before, was it with the 780/ti?

So what your saying is you are hoping for AMD to force Nvidia to lower their prices so you can buy an Nvidia GPU? :p:cry:

Some competitors were pricing "today only" and "Black Friday deal" from Day 1 yet strangely look the same terrible price as everyone else. The regulators need to come down on these tech companies which includes Ocuk as some dodgy practices been going on last few years with regards to savings and offers. It's not right. As someone pointed out I'm glad there has been some sanity and most refusing to pay these obscene prices. Stay strong peeps x
I've been keeping my eye on 8tb hard drives recently. They have been typically £150 across several retailers for Seagate Barracuda in the last month.

Today I saw a "Today only early black Friday special" for £160 from a major comp retailer. They had actually increased the price by £10 and claimed it to be on early Black Friday discount.

I am sure this happens on many other products it's just that I had noticed this because I had been specifically watching prices of 8tb drives.

There are trading standard laws on sales and discounts but crafty retailers get around it by not using the word "Sale", but use words such as "Today only" and "Black Friday".

Also funny that almost all retailers have withdrawn 5850x3d from sale or increased the prices in the last 10 days so they can sell them at the correct price of £350 and claim that they are on huge discount on Black Friday

Last edited:
Yes rumple9, I've noticed some recent prices increases in last week (not necessarily here but certainly at a competitor) or so and I bet come black Friday they will drop back to where they were but bragging about "Black Friday special". You have to keep your eye on it and keep a track of price/dates as otherwise you get screwed over on a sale that's simply not as good as it first seems

Last edited:
Yes rumple9, I've noticed some recent prices increases in last week (not necessarily here but certainly at a competitor) or so and I bet come black Friday they will drop back to where they were but bragging about "Black Friday special". You have to keep your eye on it and keep a track of price/dates as otherwise you get screwed over on a sale that's simply not as good as it first seems

A good tip is to look at UK Partpicker because it has 120 day price history graphs on specific components for various retailers

@Gibbo, I hope those 4080s rot on shelves mate, a company your size in the UK should be pushing back against the manufactuer, and not trying to knowingly peddle dogshiet to your "valued" customers
You suggest OCUK don't stock them ? Its not their fault Nvida took the **** with the price , yes OCUK have to put their bit on top as would any company but to not stock a new gpu that has just come out is a suicidal move in business terms regardless of the price ... if people think it is that bad then vote with your wallet but looks like some of their " valued " customers think the price is ok as they have less stock now then they did at release yesterday so they are selling . Personally i think the 4080 is at least £250 to expensive for what it offers but some obviously think the price is ok and are willing to pay it which is why OCUK and every other place that sell gpu's want a bit of the pie.

You suggest OCUK don't stock them ? Its not their fault Nvida took the **** with the price , yes OCUK have to put their bit on top as would any company but to not stock a new gpu that has just come out is a suicidal move in business terms regardless of the price ... if people think it is that bad then vote with your wallet but looks like some of their " valued " customers think the price is ok as they have less stock now then they did at release yesterday so they are selling . Personally i think the 4080 is at least £250 to expensive for what it offers but some obviously think the price is ok and are willing to pay it which is why OCUK and every other place that sell gpu's want a bit of the pie.

£250 too expensive ? That would make it £1000 Think you need to take off some more It's almost like people have become conditioned the 3080 Fe was £649

If anything it should be around £700-£750

Last edited:
£250 too expensive ? Think you need to take off some more It's almost like people have become conditioned the 3080 Fe was £649

If anything it should be around £700-£750
I think £900 is a fair price considering the performance it offers . 3080 for £650 were a dream for most unless you were very lucky, you will still struggle to find a new 3080 today for £650! The 3080 is a great card ( i had one ) but certainly has its limits if trying to play in 4K

I think £900 is a fair price considering the performance it offers . 3080 for £650 were a dream for most unless you were very lucky, you will still struggle to find a new 3080 today for £650! The 3080 is a great card ( i had one ) but certainly has its limits if trying to play in 4K

90 tier got £100 increase while 80 tier got increase of £620 so yeah

Even £900 is over priced stop being conditioned . Suddenly £900 seems fair because it's priced at £1269 it's not

Stop justifying because the performance is higher so all the lower stacks get price hike as well ? We always had performance increases, CPUs are staying around the same while increasing performance every generation

qpVdv39.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom