• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

OcUK RTX4080 16GB review thread

Can someone explain to me eli5 why a 4080 is better than a 3090 even tho the 3090 has more memory and more cuda cores? Is it just clockspeed? Would an OC 3090 ti beat a 4080?

I'm talking about productivity/brute strength not just gaming fps

Last edited:
Toms hardware is reporting that U.S retailers got sold out within minutes

Just looked at New York Microcenter - seems there is stock in their stores so not sold out. Plus the AIB'S start at $1199 (£1006), add 4% sales tax so £1046, as opposed to the £1350+ in the UK

Can someone explain to me eli5 why a 4080 is better than a 3090 even tho the 3090 has more memory and more cuda cores? Is it just clockspeed? Would an OC 3090 ti beat a 4080?

The actual board designs across the 3090 Ti, 4090 and 4080 are very similar (you could think of them as a v1.0, v1.1, v1.2) - also, all three cards use the same GDDR6X VRAM (the 4080 has a slower bus than the 3090 Ti/4090) - where the 40-series differs is in the silicon - it was fabbed on a smaller node than the 3090 Ti, can pack in way more transistors and has increased cache.

Whereas the GA102 in the 3090 Ti is a full-fat, unrestricted (Ampere) die, the AD102 in the 4090 is a (slightly) cut-down version of the Ada die - the 4080 is substantially cut down - these cutbacks are why the 4080 is slower than the 4090 (that, and the fact that the 4080 has cut down power delivery).

Even though the 4080 is slower than the 4090, the smaller process and increased clock speed/cache bring it up to (actually, about 20% faster than) the 3090 Ti - also, changes to Ada's ray tracing architecture deliver efficiency improvements over Ampere's design.

Yes, you could overclock a 3090 Ti to bring it closer to the 4080 (I've done it myself) but at increased power draw on what is already a 450w card. You can of course, OC the 4080 too.

The 3090 Ti has two real advantages over the 4080 - price (£100 cheaper than the 4080 Founders Edition - hundreds cheaper than the AIB cards) and that 24 GB VRAM buffer - it'll always be slower overall than the 4080 though (possibly not in some specific compute or memory-bandwith specific scenarios but I don't have any examples I could give you).

Last edited:

Clockspeed, cache and IPC.

Though it's not a major difference. There aren't many reviewers who put productivity benchmarks in their day one reviews but I did find a few benchmarks. I didn't see any where the 4080 is slower because it has less vram but that doesn't mean there won't be some outlier somewhere

And the result is that the 4080 is a little bit better than the 3090ti in productivity; it's not a major difference and if you can find a 3090to for cheaper than a 4080 then get the 3090ti unless you care that the 4080 uses 200w less than the 3090to and will reduce the power bill

Last edited:
Clockspeed, cache and IPC.

Though it's not a major difference. There aren't many reviewers who put productivity benchmarks in their day one reviews but I did find a few benchmarks. I didn't see any where the 4080 is slower because it has less vram but that doesn't mean there won't be some outlier somewhere

And the result is that the 4080 is a little bit better than the 3090ti in productivity; it's not a major difference and if you can find a 3090to for cheaper than a 4080 then get the 3090ti unless you care that the 4080 uses 200w less than the 3090to and will reduce the power bill

Yea but how? 24GB is more than 16GB?

You said this not so long ago? :cry:

The rtx4090 has more than double the 3080's VRAM and would you believe it, check out the benchmarks, it has more than double the performance too. Coincidence? I think not

I6AmJed.jpg

Sad, but true for the majority.

Going to take a lot from AMD to get their mindshare back up. They should have gone more aggressive with pricing after Nvidia’s own goal imo. They just need to make a 3080 type card. For example they can release a 7800 XTX 16GB for $599 that has performance close to a 7900 XT which should be not be far off 4080 and certainly better than a 3090 Ti. Some will laugh, but I don’t think that is impossible or much to ask.

Such card would give many people a reason to upgrade. They just need to get out of this we are a premium brand mindset. They won’t ever beat Nvidia like that unless they can consistently beat them in every metric and have the best card money can by for multiple generations, only then can they pull that off.

Just look at the CPU’s, they only started to up their prices once they actually dominated in everything. Now they lost their lead, but still want the high prices and no surprise their new CPU’s are not selling as well. They need to hurry and get the 3D Cache versions out as soon as possible and to take the lead again or their sales will get even worse as mindshare goes back to Intel.

Going to take a lot from AMD to get their mindshare back up. They should have gone more aggressive with pricing after Nvidia’s own goal imo. They just need to make a 3080 type card. For example they can release a 7800 XTX 16GB for $599 that has performance close to a 7900 XT which should be not be far off 4080 and certainly better than a 3090 Ti. Some will laugh, but I don’t think that is impossible or much to ask.
They should've packaged the 7900XT with 16GB of VRAM and released it as that 7800 XTX - maybe not for $599 but $799 tops. Like the 4080, it seems to exist solely to make the next card up look more attractive. Like Intel, AMD had a wide open goal this time round and flubbed it.

Last edited:

Such card would give many people a reason to upgrade. They just need to get out of this we are a premium brand mindset. They won’t ever beat Nvidia like that unless they can consistently beat them in every metric and have the best card money can by for multiple generations, only then can they pull that off.

Just look at the CPU’s, they only started to up their prices once they actually dominated in everything. Now they lost their lead, but still want the high prices and no surprise their new CPU’s are not selling as well. They need to hurry and get the 3D Cache versions out as soon as possible and to take the lead again or their sales will get even worse as mindshare goes back to Intel.
People only want AMD to be cheaper so Nvidia will drop their prices and then they will just go and buy an Nvidia card. AMD cant win.

TBH, people give of about nvidia having mindshare and all the comments on people locking themselves into the nvidia ecosystem (even though that ecosystem is arguably better than what amd have, not to mention, usually on the market first with wanted features....) imo, amd fans are just as bad, if not worse, as in, they will defend everything and not apply the same arguments/attacks against amd when they are attacking nvidia for the same reason e.g. just look at the 7900xtx and 7900xt, it is clear they have done exactly the same move of shifting tiers about and upping the prices but those people don't bat an eyelid when it comes to amd doing the same move (don't forget, amd are able to make their gpus for cheaper with this chiplet design as well, what happened to them savings being passed onto the customers? Has anyone got the margins figures for these gpus?) Then look at what has happened with the cpu space, intel are now considered the better bang per buck for the new cpus.... However, with nvidia and intel, they're "scum", "people should boycott nvidia" etc. People act like amd are on their last legs and only worth a couple of million when reality is, they are in a VERY good position and arguably a much better position than nvidia, remember, nvidias sole focus is the desktop gpu space, amd have their fingers in lots of pies..... This is where amd have masterfully convinced their fans they are the "peoples champion" and the "good guys", same way amd have somehow managed to convince people that closed source is "bad!" when reality is, it's not bad and has many advantages over open source approaches but this last bit is largely down to most people not working in tech/development industry for themselves and so can only listen to amds PR.

As it is right now, having looked at 4080 reviews, it looks like a great gpu (especially the power efficiency, uses less power than a 3080) but price is too much, I could easily afford it but it's the principle of paying 1+k for it, technically it would be 800 after selling the 3080 on but still doesn't sit right with me. That and you just know a ti will drop next year... I've said it before that rdna 3 is a fantastic gpu all round and so was rdna 2, only reason I won't go back is I like RT and dlss, that and they will also be 1+k here.....

Last edited:
Reactions: TNA
Back
Top Bottom