• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

OcUK RTX4080 16GB review thread

I think £900 is a fair price considering the performance it offers . 3080 for £650 were a dream for most unless you were very lucky, you will still struggle to find a new 3080 today for £650! The 3080 is a great card ( i had one ) but certainly has its limits if trying to play in 4K
Nah rubbish. £650 was stupid. The 580, 680, 780, 980 were all like £400-£450. The whole range died off since then. £900 is mental. £650 was mental as it was back then. All rubbish.

Nah rubbish. £650 was stupid. The 580, 680, 780, 980 were all like £400-£450. The whole range died off since then. £900 is mental. £650 was mental as it was back then. All rubbish.
680 was a mid range part. No the past prices were not good either.

It is depenant on how much you are willing to lash out in one go, to me time is money, how much time do I have to graft with full control to afford?

Last edited:
This sounds conditioned to me. Of course it offers better performance than a the 2 year old 3080. The only reason 3080s were near impossible to find for £650 was due to the shortages. The 4080 should be around £700 imo and the 3080s definately should be a lot less then £650 at this point in their life cycle!
As I put above can sounds like what it wants to you. I offered my opinion on the price and I said what I think it's worth which is £900 . Why stop at it being £650 , sounds like the 3080 is conditioning your price , I am old enough to remember buying a voodoo 3 agp top of the range gpu for £180 , where have those prices gone?why is the 4080 not £180 like the voodoo 3 was ?

As I put above its what I think they are worth in todays market and where have all the top of the range £180 gpu gone? :cry:

680 was a mid range part. No the past prices were not good either.

It is depenant on how much you are willing to lash out in one go, to me time is money, how much time do I have to graft with full control to afford?
Okay so when were prices good? At some point you have to look at what prices were and pick a point where there was a good price. The 80 series prices for those generations were the lowest they had ever been though.

If you are saying the 80 series card was never priced well, then tbh no card has ever been priced well but you need to get to a point where you need to consider if you just shouldn't buy a PC then maybe because your statement would suggest PC gaming has never been good or priced okay etc.

I don't mean to be disrespectful but there are a lot of idiots on here. The 3080 was never £649. IT WAS A MARKETING TRICK!

The 3080 AIB consistently sold amongst many retailers for £1250+ for a period of 2 years. That is the market price (Supply and demand).

In essence Nvidia ran a lottery every 4-6 weeks where someone if they were fast enough at a random release time could WIN a FE card for the reduced price of £650, to keep interest and demand high. Many people who didn't win in frustration and FOMO (fear of missing out) bought the £1250+ cards that they otherwise wouldn't have. In addition to which, the Nvidia website had directed consumers to their sole authorised reseller which quickly became out of stock but had alternative AIB cards available at the substantially higher price.

Anyone who has academically studied Business Management will recognise this as a PPD - "Promotional Prize Draw".

This is not BS - the 2080 was released in 2018 with a UK MRSP of £749. Does anyone in their right mind think Nvidia would release a vastly superior card with many new technologies 2 years later for £100 less, at a time when there was unprecedented demand for chips during a pandemic, supply chain issues and a cryptomining boom?

People need to smell the coffee and realise the 4080 at £1350 is a £100 increase over the true market price of £1250 for the 3080, some 7% which was in line with general inflation at time of release.

I am not saying the 4080 is good value, I am saying it is not unreasonable given pricing history and context. As I say above it is down to supply and demand. If people dont buy them (which seems to be the case) prices will fall.
I'd go with this as I wasn't lucky enough to get an FE until 13 months after launch, couldn't get near the buy button everytime there was a drop, at one point there was a 3 month wait for 80 FE drops, so when you react to a drop and they're sold out, they must only be selling 10 units or so at a time.

Said then that NV were going to want every penny from the 80's £1200+ shelf price and here we are, with most 80 FE owners now priced out the game and staying on their current GPUs.

As I put above can sounds like what it wants to you. I offered my opinion on the price and I said what I think it's worth which is £900 . Why stop at it being £650 , sounds like the 3080 is conditioning your price , I am old enough to remember buying a voodoo 3 agp top of the range gpu for £180 , where have those prices gone?why is the 4080 not £180 like the voodoo 3 was ?
Your last 2 cards were a 3090 and now a 4090 so it's not supprising £900 seems reasonable to you, would you have got one for £900 instead of a spending £1700 4090?

Read my post above , I got a 3dfx Voodoo 3 agp in 1999 for £180 . At the time it was the top of the range gpu you could buy .
Okay so you brought a card for £180 that was about $180 msrp in 1999. The US inlfation would suggest that in todays monies that would be $338 approx. Now you also brought when the exchange rate was around 1.6-1.7 not 1-1.15. So that puts the card around £350 in todays money without any other changes or consideration. If you look at £400 for the GTX780 and such then a RTX4080 would in my view be reasonably valued at around £500 ish. That is all that saying with the previous figures noted.

Suggesting it is worth double that almost though would just suggest you believe we were underpaying in previous generations then and we should be thankful?

Your last 2 cards were a 3090 and now a 4090 so it's not supprising £900 seems reasonable to you, would you have got one for £900 instead of a spending £1700 4090?
Yes would have happily paid £900 for a 4090 had one been available at that price but its not and I don't go around complaining about the price I paid . I wanted this level of performance and put my hand in my pocket to get it . If I for one second thought it was too expensive I wouldn't be buying it . So far all in my 4090 has cost me £600 after selling my 3090 for £1100 so not the end of the world price wise and will be similar for most upgrading depending on what you had previously. I have put many times I don't think the current msrp is a good move on the 4080 but also think the £650 is some kind of pipe dream as you still can't buy 3080 today for £650 . I also don't understand why the obscene amount of moaning goes on , it's very simple if you are not happy with the price don't buy the damn thing and keep what you have already got ... no amount of arguments will change the price :cry:
Okay so you brought a card for £180 that was about $180 msrp in 1999. The US inlfation would suggest that in todays monies that would be $338 approx. Now you also brought when the exchange rate was around 1.6-1.7 not 1-1.15. So that puts the card around £350 in todays money without any other changes or consideration. If you look at £400 for the GTX780 and such then a RTX4080 would in my view be reasonably valued at around £500 ish. That is all that saying with the previous figures noted.

Suggesting it is worth double that almost though would just suggest you believe we were underpaying in previous generations then and we should be thankful?
It would be about £350 in today's money, would love to pick up a top of the range card that cheap but unfortunately in the real world that isn't happening at all now. Gpu have got more expensive over the years like everything else has , I'm not suggesting anyone underpayed or should be thankful but I have stated what I think it is worth in todays climate going by the performance it has to offer but even at £900 I iam wrong as the card is from £1269 and are selling at that price point.

I have an invoice that proves you wrong on the 2nd statement so I guess your first statement is true for at least one person

From the time I decided I wanted a 3080 it took me 2 weeks to acquire one at MSRP, in April 2021. So no it was not anything like trying to win a lottery. I woke up one Saturday morning, popped on the website and it was listed in stock, clicked buy, got it that Monday.

I'd also had multiple opportunities to buy one at around £800-900 that week as well, so no idea where you are getting this invented £1250 from, I'm guessing eBay listings, which you have no idea they were selling at that price or not.

Yup I had to check my bill there to make sure only £650 was taken out.... :cry:

£650 was far more than what I was willing to pay given what I had got all my previous gpus for but knew what way the market was going, signed up to DC, had an alert a couple weeks later, bought without any issues first time. Looking at the market now and prices of old gen gpus, anyone who got a 3080 around launch time for £650 did very well.

Last edited:
I have put many times I don't think the current msrp is a good move on the 4080 but also think the £650 is some kind of pipe dream as you still can't buy 3080 today for £650 .

The point you don't seem to be getting is that the 3080 being above £650 still is all down to Nvidia. 2 year old tech should not be selling for more than rrp. Nvidia are just refusing to lower prices and a rinsing people with 4000 prices to keep 3000 series prices high.

Also what does a gpu that's also 25 years old have to do with today's prices? I had a 3dfx Voodoo 2 12mb card, do I win? :-p

Yes would have happily paid £900 for a 4090 had one been available at that price but its not and I don't go around complaining about the price I paid . I wanted this level of performance and put my hand in my pocket to get it . If I for one second thought it was too expensive I wouldn't be buying it . So far all in my 4090 has cost me £600 after selling my 3090 for £1100 so not the end of the world price wise and will be similar for most upgrading depending on what you had previously. I have put many times I don't think the current msrp is a good move on the 4080 but also think the £650 is some kind of pipe dream as you still can't buy 3080 today for £650 . I also don't understand why the obscene amount of moaning goes on , it's very simple if you are not happy with the price don't buy the damn thing and keep what you have already got ... no amount of arguments will change the price :cry:

It would be about £350 in today's money, would love to pick up a top of the range card that cheap but unfortunately in the real world that isn't happening at all now. Gpu have got more expensive over the years like everything else has , I'm not suggesting anyone underpayed or should be thankful but I have stated what I think it is worth in todays climate going by the performance it has to offer but even at £900 I iam wrong as the card is from £1269 and are selling at that price point.

Don't think anyone was expecting the 4080 to be £650 . £1269 is an insult and £900 is still too much

For people buying in the £5-700 price range the 4080 going from £650 to £1300+ is the equivalent of if the 4090 jumped gen over gen to an msrp of £2800 while the replacement ADA card at £1400 was no faster than a 3090.

This is what people at that end of the market are facing up to, £650 is not going to buy you anything much better than last gen which is why people are moaning.

Last edited:
The point you don't seem to be getting is that the 3080 being above £650 still is all down to Nvidia. 2 year old tech should not be selling for more than rrp. Nvidia are just refusing to lower prices and a rinsing people with 4000 prices to keep 3000 series prices high.

Also what does a gpu that's also 25 years old have to do with today's prices? I had a 3dfx Voodoo 2 12mb card, do I win? :p
I agree the 3080 should be on its last legs at this point being sold for a reduced price 2 years on but they haven't even hit msrp still after 2 years . It would be good if the old 3080 stock thread was still about and see how many actually got their £650 in a timely and orderly manner :D as i put previously had to be very luck to snag a £650 3080 ...

I used it as a reference to ask whats happened with the price of top end gpu ... they use to be £180 ( £350 todays money ) . No you lose , needed 16mb back in 99 to run the hi res pack in Quake 3 Arena :p

Don't think anyone was expecting the 4080 to be £650 . £1269 is an insult and £900 is still too much
Agree £1260 is a **** take for the card i have said this many times but i do think expecting it for £650 is a dream .. i could probably see a good price being £800 or so , do we agree ? meet me in the middle somewhere :cry:

For people buying in the £5-700 price range the 4080 going from £650 to £1300+ is the equivalent of if the 4090 jumped gen over gen to an msrp of £2800 while the replacement ADA card at £1400 was no faster than a 3090.

This is what people at that end of the market are facing up to, £650 is not going to buy you anything much better than last gen which is why people are moaning.
If the 4090 had jumped that much in price i can honestly say i wouldn't have one sitting in my pc and would happily of stuck with the 3090 for another 2 years or more , i agree the price hike is a slap in the face to those who have a 3080 currently and were extremely lucky to get one for £650 but for those who paid significantly more for their 3080 this price probably looks about the same as it was when the 3080 was at it peak and often selling for over £1000 :( The true cost of upgrading this gen for the 3080 owner is roughly £760+ to upgrade and that's taking into account you will probably get back £500 for your 3080 ( going rate 2nd hand ) . Performance wise a 4080 is a better card than the 3090 and will beat it in all benchmarks i have seen, i think the performance of the card is where it should be the issue is the price it cost this time .

for those who paid significantly more for their 3080 this price probably looks about the same as it was when the 3080 was at it peak and often selling for over £1000 :(
A price it reached because, at the time, these cards were literal money-printers. The value of these cards now lies solely in them being a luxury product for gamers and during a recession big-ticket items like this are going to make potential purchasers think long and hard about parting with their cash - and when they do, they want value for money - this ain't it.

A price it reached because, at the time, these cards were literal money-printers. The value of these cards now lies solely in them being a luxury product for gamers and during a recession big-ticket items like this are going to make potential purchasers think long and hard about parting with their cash - and when they do, they want value for money - this ain't it.
Unfortunately the fact they sold so well during mining is partly why the prices are so high now imo as many were willing to smash out over £1000 for a 3080 with the mindset of i will use it for gaming and do some mining to recoupe my cost, all that done was show Nvidia people were willing to part with that sort of cash for an 80 series GPU or even 90 . I remember the 3080 Stix actually selling for £2000 during the boom , absolutely mental but has partly lead to where we are now with prices . I did a bit of mining and recouped a nice amount of money on my 3090 , i also saved that money for a rainy day when i may need it to buy a gpu that is outside of my price range :cry:

Back
Top Bottom