• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

OcUK RTX4080 16GB review thread

90 tier got £100 increase while 80 tier got increase of £620 so yeah

Even £900 is over priced stop being conditioned . Suddenly £900 seems fair because it's priced at £1269 it's not

qpVdv39.jpg
I am not being conditioned i am saying what i think its worth considering the performance on offer and that is £900 in my opinion , in your opinion its £700 ..... both of us are wrong as the card cost from £1269 and that's again if you get lucky and manage to snag one at that price, no amount of arguing or bickering about it will change that :cry:As i put in my post above if you think it is too expensive then vote with your wallet and don't buy the thing but they are selling regardless of what we think of the price :)

I am not being conditioned i am saying what i think its worth considering the performance on offer and that is £900 in my opinion , in your opinion its £700 ..... both of us are wrong as the card cost from £1269 and that's again if you get lucky and manage to snag one at that price, no amount of arguing or bickering about it will change that :cry:As i put in my post above if you think it is too expensive then vote with your wallet and don't buy the thing but they are selling regardless of what we think of the price :)

Of course I ain't buying I ain't an idiot

90 tier got £100 increase while 80 tier got increase of £620 so yeah

Even £900 is over priced stop being conditioned . Suddenly £900 seems fair because it's priced at £1269 it's not

Stop justifying because the performance is higher so all the lower stacks get price hike as well ? We always had performance increases, CPUs are staying around the same while increasing performance every generation

qpVdv39.jpg
Let's not forget it's also on a very cut down die for an 80 class and only got an uplift of +50% over the 3080, while the 4090 which went up just $100 gained +75% over the 3090. So despite the almost doubling of the price the consumers are not even getting the full benefit of the TSMC N4 gains and seeing the same performance scaling because nvidia is making further profit there also with the small dies.

I think £900 is a fair price considering the performance it offers . 3080 for £650 were a dream for most unless you were very lucky, you will still struggle to find a new 3080 today for £650! The 3080 is a great card ( i had one ) but certainly has its limits if trying to play in 4K

This sounds conditioned to me. Of course it offers better performance than a the 2 year old 3080. The only reason 3080s were near impossible to find for £650 was due to the shortages. The 4080 should be around £700 imo and the 3080s definately should be a lot less then £650 at this point in their life cycle!

This sounds conditioned to me. Of course it offers better performance than a the 2 year old 3080. The only reason 3080s were near impossible to find for £650 was due to the shortages. The 4080 should be around £700 imo and the 3080s definately should be a lot less then £650 at this point in their life cycle!
Its all down to market manipulation due to a lack of competition but I think now especially with this launch that consumers have finally had enough and are starting to turn their back on Nvidia.

I don't mean to be disrespectful but there are a lot of idiots on here. The 3080 was never £649. IT WAS A MARKETING TRICK!

The 3080 AIB consistently sold amongst many retailers for £1250+ for a period of 2 years. That is the market price (Supply and demand).

In essence Nvidia ran a lottery every 4-6 weeks where someone if they were fast enough at a random release time could WIN a FE card for the reduced price of £650, to keep interest and demand high. Many people who didn't win in frustration and FOMO (fear of missing out) bought the £1250+ cards that they otherwise wouldn't have. In addition to which, the Nvidia website had directed consumers to their sole authorised reseller which quickly became out of stock but had alternative AIB cards available at the substantially higher price.

Anyone who has academically studied Business Management will recognise this as a PPD - "Promotional Prize Draw".

This is not BS - the 2080 was released in 2018 with a UK MRSP of £749. Does anyone in their right mind think Nvidia would release a vastly superior card with many new technologies 2 years later for £100 less, at a time when there was unprecedented demand for chips during a pandemic, supply chain issues and a cryptomining boom?

People need to smell the coffee and realise the 4080 at £1350 is a £100 increase over the true market price of £1250 for the 3080, some 7% which was in line with general inflation at time of release.

I am not saying the 4080 is good value, I am saying it is not unreasonable given pricing history and context. As I say above it is down to supply and demand. If people dont buy them (which seems to be the case) prices will fall.

Last edited:
don't mean to be disrespectful but there are a lot of idiots on here. The 3080 was never £649
I have an invoice that proves you wrong on the 2nd statement so I guess your first statement is true for at least one person

From the time I decided I wanted a 3080 it took me 2 weeks to acquire one at MSRP, in April 2021. So no it was not anything like trying to win a lottery. I woke up one Saturday morning, popped on the website and it was listed in stock, clicked buy, got it that Monday.

I'd also had multiple opportunities to buy one at around £800-900 that week as well, so no idea where you are getting this invented £1250 from, I'm guessing eBay listings, which you have no idea they were selling at that price or not.

Last edited:
I don't mean to be disrespectful but there are a lot of idiots on here. The 3080 was never £649. IT WAS A MARKETING TRICK!
I did, I was lucky and got my Gigabyte Eagle for £649 delivered. This though is the only reason I paid £1300 for a Palit 4080. I think £650 every 2 years is worth it for my hobby, I still have the same CPU and same storage.
Also, I sold that Eagle for £700 yesterday.
Hopefully in 2/3 years I can sell this card for half of what the next gen is worth and carry on.
But if I paid £900+ for my 3080 it would still be in my pc.

Its all down to market manipulation due to a lack of competition but I think now especially with this launch that consumers have finally had enough and are starting to turn their back on Nvidia.

I suspect a much bigger issue is they don't have the disposable income to waste on something like a graphics card, which has only been made worse by being nearly double the SRP of the previous generation.

The 3080 AIB consistently sold amongst many retailers for £1250+ for a period of 2 years. That is the market price (Supply and demand).

In essence Nvidia ran a lottery every 4-6 weeks where someone if they were fast enough at a random release time could WIN a FE card for the reduced price of £650, to keep interest and demand high. Many people who didn't win in frustration and FOMO (fear of missing out) bought the £1250+ cards that they otherwise wouldn't have. In addition to which, the Nvidia website had directed consumers to their sole authorised reseller which quickly became out of stock but had alternative AIB cards available at the substantially higher price.

Anyone who has academically studied Business Management will recognise this as a PPD - "Promotional Prize Draw".

This is not BS - the 2080 was released in 2018 with a UK MRSP of £749. Does anyone in their right mind think Nvidia would release a vastly superior card with many new technologies 2 years later for £100 less, at a time when there was unprecedented demand for chips during a pandemic, supply chain issues and a cryptomining boom?

People need to smell the coffee and realise the 4080 at £1350 is a £100 increase over the true market price of £1250 for the 3080, some 7% which was in line with general inflation at time of release.

I am not saying the 4080 is good value, I am saying it is not unreasonable given pricing history and context. As I say above it is down to supply and demand. If people dont buy them (which seems to be the case) prices will fall.

I signed up to the alerts and got 3080 Fe for £649 + £11 postage , alternative was £1k + for AIB's which I was never gonna pay for not sure if that makes me an idiot ?

Interesting they are trying to sell 4080 for around the same price the scalpers did last time during peak covid/ mining guess what both are over now

Last edited:
Let's not forget it's also on a very cut down die for an 80 class and only got an uplift of +50% over the 3080, while the 4090 which went up just $100 gained +75% over the 3090. So despite the almost doubling of the price the consumers are not even getting the full benefit of the TSMC N4 gains and seeing the same performance scaling because nvidia is making further profit there also with the small dies.

+50 performance uplift from the previous generation is nothing to moan about it's impressive what isn't is the pricing

The crypto price you mean, since that ship sailed prices have been £700-800 range which what most AIBs raised their prices to before the boom.

I wonder if it's naive to suppose that NVIDIA are just out of touch. It's very possible that the pricing is a simply a tactic to both sell their remaining stocks of 3000 series and to destroy the scalpers. I mean any scalper thinking they can make money out of a 4080 is in for a rude and expensive awakening. The 4090 is just too expensive to scalp, there isn't the market for them. The 4080 is overpriced already, so no scalper is going to make money out of those. All NVIDIA have to do is wait until they have sold their 3000 stocks then they can reduce the price of the 4080 to match the 7900XTX and they are win win. It's still overpriced but the gamers think they are getting a bargain, and they undercut AMD. Everything is wonderful. I mean it is well known they have ordered too many 4000 series GPU's. Sooner or later they must reduce prices.

Last edited:
I suspect a much bigger issue is they don't have the disposable income to waste on something like a graphics card, which has only been made worse by being nearly double the SRP of the previous generation.

That won’t be the case for everyone. I have the disposable income, I just refuse to pay silly moneys for it. The card I have does the job anyway. My peen is fine, so I don’t need e-peen either to compensate. Happy to skip a gen :D

Back
Top Bottom