• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

OcUK RTX4080 16GB review thread

For people buying in the £5-700 price range the 4080 going from £650 to £1300+ is the equivalent of if the 4090 jumped gen over gen to an msrp of £2800 while the replacement ADA card at £1400 was no faster than a 3090.

This is what people at that end of the market are facing up to, £650 is not going to buy you anything much better than last gen which is why people are moaning.

It's not even just that. The 3080 was the same GA102 chip as the 3090 with a 320-bit memory bus but was less than half the price of the 3090. The 4080 is AD103 with 256-bit memory bus - it costs a **** load less than AD102 / 4090 to produce, but it's basically the same price at retailers. It makes absolutely no sense.

People defending these prices seem to be losing sight of the context of prices for last gen.
  • There was a lockdown through much of 2020 - 2021 and that meant people had spare cash and plenty of spare time. This drove demand in PC and next gen consoles
  • There was a chip shortage that drove down supply of said PC components and consoles.
  • There was a mining boom that also drove up demand significantly
All of these factors drove prices high due to demand easily outstripping supply. Hence why Nvidia and AMD could release £1k + GPUs and why retailers could name their price and also why scalpers were making a killing.

None of the above factors exist anymore, yet Nvidia (and to a lesser extent) AMD are still trying to price their GPUs like there is high demand and low supply. They want the gravy train to continue and every single person who buys a 4080 or 4090 are sending a signal to Nvidia saying, "I'm a mug and happy to pay these prices". Soon we will see the same with the 7900 XTX and 7900 XT release.

So demand just isn't there, and no matter how many delusional people (and shill reviewers) try to say the release of the 4090 and 4080 are a success, the facts say otherwise. I can go on to any decent retailer and get a 4080 or 4090 for not too much higher than the joke MSRP. They are in stock ready to add to basket and it is the same for a PS5, or Xbox X, or Steam Deck etc. Last year we had to use discord and stock checkers to source limited stock and that was down to a set of very unique circumstances.

Those circumstances just dont exist anymore, yet these GPUs are priced like they do.

Last edited:
Just having a look at sold prices for the 3080 FE and they are actually selling for £600+ 2nd hand so if you managed to get a £650 3080 2 years ago you only lose £50! ( i took a £600 hit on 3090 sale ) will then cost you £670 to upgrade to a 4080 , while its still less than ideal once all said and done that isn't too bad ( was £600 for my upgrade ) if you want more performance . Its not a justification for the price just an option you could take to make it a bit less harsh .

People defending these prices seem to be losing sight of the context of prices for last gen.
  • There was a lockdown through much of 2020 - 2021 and that meant people had spare cash and plenty of spare time. This drove demand in PC and next gen consoles
  • There was a chip shortage that drove down supply of said PC components and consoles.
All of these factors drove prices high due to demand easily outstripping supply. Hence why Nvidia and AMD could release £1k + GPUs and why retailers could name their price and also why scalpers were making a killing.

None of the above factors exist anymore, yet Nvidia (and to a lesser extent) AMD are still trying to price their GPUs like there is high demand and low supply. They want the gravy train to continue and every single person who buys a 4080 or 4090 are sending a signal to Nvidia saying, "I'm a mug and happy to pay these prices". Soon we will see the same with the 7900 XTX and 7900 XT release.

So demand just isn't there, and no matter how many delusional people (and shill reviewers) try to say the release of the 4090 and 4080 are a success, the facts say otherwise. I can go on to any decent retailer and get a 4080 or 4090 for not too much higher than the joke MSRP. They are in stock ready to add to basket and it is the same for a PS5, or Xbox X, or Steam Deck etc. Last year we had to use discord and stock checkers to source limited stock and that was down to a set of very unique circumstances.

Those circumstances just dont exist anymore, yet these GPUs are priced like they do.

Oh and shipping prices were mad too. I heard those have come down too.

Nvidia and AMD are just trying it on. Once the cards start gathering dust on shelf, prices will come down.

Correct me if I am wrong but do they not have a contract with TSMC to make x amount of these GPU’s? Therefore they will need to sell them and if that means even breaking even to sell it (won’t get that far) then they will do that.

Maybe so, but at 900/950 I think they'd *fly* out!

For a while yea, but after a few months that would slow down also. Question is will it continue to fly out for the remainder of the products life cycle. I would not be interested at that price. Only GPU I would pay £900 for is a 4090 and even that would be pushing it as I don’t even need the performance.

This. Nvidia are just hoping that people are too stupid to realise that times have changed. Thinking that if people paid they exceptional prices then they'd be will to do it again. Whilst they are some silly/rich/impatient people out there it does seen like lot of people are waking up to Nvidia's shenanigans.

Just one thing missing. Turing. It launched when there was no mining going on, and 2080Tis were well over £1500 for top end models. And that was pre covid, too.

I don't mean to be disrespectful but there are a lot of idiots on here. The 3080 was never £649. IT WAS A MARKETING TRICK!

The 3080 AIB consistently sold amongst many retailers for £1250+ for a period of 2 years. That is the market price (Supply and demand).
You are on the right track when you say that the MSRP was never real, I said so myself even at the time as it became clear it was simply too low vs demand even without Crypto, but at the same time you cannot ignore the fact that a) GPU mining HEAVILY skews the price for everyone; b) Demand also changed overall since 2020, because the pandemic tide had much higher demand than usual even absent crypto.
So a 3080 even if it sold for twice its MSRP was easily still a steal because overnight mining even for individual users meant you'd essentially get a free GPU (plus this was before the huge energy shocks of today). But that's no longer the market reality, so a $1200 4080 cannot compete on the current market.

Ultimately time will reveal everything (in the quarterly reports), and for now all the previous Q data shows very clearly that Nvidia overextended themselves and the prices cannot be justified as the gaming market has overall rejected them.

Just one thing missing. Turing. It launched when there was no mining going on, and 2080Tis were well over £1500 for top end models. And that was pre covid, too.

That GPU tier was created purely by Nvidia to milk the fools who had more money than sense. The fact they got away with it meant they could keep pushing the limits. Now Nvidia have decided that not just the very top mug edition GPUs should cost £1250 plus, but even the former mupper mid tier ones.

AMD of course got in on the act and they see no reason to be seen as the cheap brand. 20% markeshare at £1k+ is better than 30% of the market at £500 - £600.

Mining has been going on since 2009, Eth mining was started in 2015 and was 100% a thing during the Turing & Pascal era although Nvidia used the Ray Tracing thing to increase the price of the 2080Ti over the 1080Ti .

4090 is top - can get away with being silly price
4080 is high end, not mid or mid-upper - a lot of other hobbies have this level at over £1k (golf clubs, fishing rods, whatever)

Most other hobbies have gone through the same pricing increase shakeups, not saying it's nice but companies will be companies. Just check out carbon road bikes, there's 13 ranging from £10k - £14,500 at sigma sport right now
Prices should stabilise with consumer willingness fairly soon

Well
4080 is high end, not mid or mid-upper - a lot of other hobbies have this level at over £1k (golf clubs, fishing rods, whatever)

Most other hobbies have gone through the same pricing increase shakeups, not saying it's nice but companies will be companies. Just check out carbon road bikes, there's 13 ranging from £10k - £14,500 at sigma sport right now
LOL bikes are a joke.

4080 is not high end. High price, yes.

Back
Top Bottom