• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

OcUK RTX4080 16GB review thread

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Exchange rates and sales tax. In the UK we have VAT added to prices we see - so thats the price paid. In the USA, sales tax is based on each state, so it’s eah, most don’t added at the checkout process. Also, exchange rates ; right now its $1.18 to £1 , not the low est which was in September of $1.08 to £1, but not the average for the past year of $1.30 to £1.

Many do not know that US prices do not include VAT/Sales Tax which get added after. But even then their highest sales tax is like what, 7.5% is California? Where as some states like Alaska pay 0%.

What one has to do is take Dollar price, look at current exchange rate and adjust for that, then after that add VAT on top. Then you will get Gibbo saying, yeah but add shipping too so make sure you round up :p

Soldato
I really would like to know why they are so much more expensive outside the USA.

People around here think that its only the £ that has crashed in value against the $.....but every major currency has.

Putin's little war has spooked investors and when that happens they always run for cover by buying $ assets and cashing out of other currencies, which causes the drops.

Soldato
People around here think that its only the £ that has crashed in value against the $.....but every major currency has.

Putin's little war has spooked investors and when that happens they always run for cover by buying $ assets and cashing out of other currencies, which causes the drops.

But according to that video, the exchange rate doesn't explain it.

Soldato
But according to that video, the exchange rate doesn't explain it.

No, not all of it.

Costs to manufacture these things have undoubtedly risen over the last two years, just nothing like to the degree Nvidia have bumped up the price, which is mainly a cash grab based on Jensen's salty tears at missing out on all those 3080's, selling for at least double the MSRP, at the height of the mining craze.

Soldato
i love me some 50% more fps for 100% more money! wait a minute....
have-i-got.jpg

Soldato
*** Stock Watch Update ***

Ironic that the one brand I'd buy OCUK doesn't stock

The Colorful iGame with detachable programmable LCD screen would be perfect for displaying, ticker style, exactly how much I over paid for the damn thing!

Last edited:
Soldato
i love me some 50% more fps for 100% more money! wait a minute....
It *would* make sense if it was 50% more fps at 100% more money if it was released in the same gen/same year, but definitely not when the 50% performance increase comes from two or more years of natural progression and they want to charge insane amount from people for it.

Had mobile phones been like that, all our phones would have been like £5000 by now.

Associate
Exchange rate always used as an excuse for increases in price. Yet exchange rate has moved from 1.07 to 1.21 in last month. Will we see prices drop? Will we balls :) The rtx4080 does seem artificially high outside USA but these prices won't last given they are clearly not selling. Looks like fair amount in US returning the product to once they either a) realise its terrible price or b) realise they can't scalp.

These cards need to go sub £1000. But im happy for nvidia to be stubborn and take a major hit if I can still pick up 7900xtx for £1000 (that's expensive enough) . Nvidia need a bit of a reality check

Last edited:
Associate
It *would* make sense if it was 50% more fps at 100% more money if it was released in the same gen/same year, but definitely not when the 50% performance increase comes from two or more years of natural progression and they want to charge insane amount from people for it.

Had mobile phones been like that, all our phones would have been like £5000 by now.
it would only make sense to me if it was 100% more fps for 50% more money, nvidia got it backwards in their gred :D

Associate
Exchange rate always used as an excuse for increases in price. Yet exchange rate has moved from 1.07 to 1.21 in last month. Will we see prices drop? Will we balls :) The rtx4080 does seem artificially high outside USA but these prices won't last given they are clearly not selling. Looks like fair amount in US returning the product to once they either a) realise its terrible price or b) scalpers can't scalp.
exchange rates, war in "insert country", covid, suppoly issue, market issues, stock, scalpers, mining. there is nothing but an endless list of reasons for prices being to the moon regardless what month/year it is :D

Soldato
exchange rates, war in "insert country", covid, suppoly issue, market issues, stock, scalpers, mining. there is nothing but an endless list of reasons for prices being to the moon regardless what month/year it is :D
And with all that the companies' somehow managed to hit record breaking revenue/profit far beyond the previous years :rolleyes:

TNA

TNA

Caporegime

People are voting with their wallets though. Nvidia have sold over 125K 4090’s!
:cry:

The 4080 pricing is doing what it was supposed to do. To both help sell Ampere cards at almost full price and to make the 4090 look like good purchase. Once Ampere cards have sold and 4090 sales take a nose dive the 4080 will suddenly drop down a lot more than €100.

Associate
People are voting with their wallets though. Nvidia have sold over 125K 4090’s!
:cry:

The 4080 pricing is doing what it was supposed to do. To both help sell Ampere cards at almost full price and to make the 4090 look like good purchase. Once Ampere cards have sold and 4090 sales take a nose dive the 4080 will suddenly drop down a lot more than €100.
probably after amd launches its cards at the 1k+ price range suddenly nvidia drop 50-100 below to snipe sales :p

Associate
i think the true upgrade from the rtx3080 will be called the rtx4080ti even though it will be well overpriced it will be what the rtx4080 should have been a real leap forward . i will keep using my msi rtx3080 suprim x and not be conned now.

Soldato
i think the true upgrade from the rtx3080 will be called the rtx4080ti even though it will be well overpriced it will be what the rtx4080 should have been a real leap forward . i will keep using my msi rtx3080 suprim x and not be conned now.

I think the performance uplift from 3080 to 4080 16gb is really good gen on gen increase just the pricing is ridiculous,

I refuse to pay over £750 so will be sticking with the 3080 .

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom