• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

OcUK RX7800XT and RX7700XT review thread

Soldato
I know.

This is only a 7800XT by naming. TBH? I don't care about the naming. It's not a human lol. I care about price and performance, and it nails in both of those.

I think AMD are going to move away from big dies. Looks like they have already started this round. There's no point. Like they said, they have to charge for it, and no one wants to spend £1700 on a GPU. I know some do, but they don't want to.

Problem is even if they had called it a 7800 people would have still complained. They had a strategy set out with die sizes, and they have a naming strategy also.

People will just find anything they possibly can to complain about is the truth of it eh?

What if they called it 7700xt so slight increase in. msrp but larger uplift compared to 6700xt ? Would it come across better ?

Last edited:
Soldato
This is so true, I don’t understand why anyone would go for the 7700 over the 7800 at those prices

They want to max the sales of the 7800XT in the launch period.

7700XT exists to sell salvage dies, it they sold it lower then more buyers might think it's good enough and they don't sell the prime card.

Once the initial glut of launch sales flush through the 7700XT will drop. Personally expecting to see dips to £350 at black Friday to grab some volume in 2023 before a bounce back to high £3xx

AMD trying a Jenson....

Soldato
What if they called it 7700xt so slight increase in. msrp but larger uplift compared to 6700xt ? Would it come across better ?

Not really. The 7700XT exists too, and is also a huge uplift from the 6700XT.

To me they made one "mistake"* and that was the price of the 7700XT.

* Was not a mistake. It was completely deliberate. Why do I know that? well firstly they will want you to upsell to the more expensive card any way, but also their strategy seems to be "Release high, drop prices, people will buy more".

They have dropped price on EVERY 7000 series card launched so far. Impatience is not an excuse.

Soldato
This is so true, I don’t understand why anyone would go for the 7700 over the 7800 at those prices

Fell for it. That is exactly what they want you to think too. And having that guy say the same? bonus.

They want you to buy the 7800XT. It really is as simple as that. This week at least. Or maybe even the next, too. The pricing will change I can 100% guarantee it, once you have cleared out all of the people who think like you do dude. As in, "Oh sod it I will buy a 7800XT".

Did they need to do this? no, not really. But it seems they have, whether we like it or not. It's a shame, but then I guess in one regard it does make sense. IE, when the 7700XT becomes the price it inevitably will a LOT of people will say "Well I don't really NEED a 7800XT so I will buy a 7700XT". Which of course, is very true. If you game at 1080p why would you want to pay for a 1440p card?

Just give it time dude. Removing Starfield will be a £30 drop for starters.

Soldato
Not really. The 7700XT exists too, and is also a huge uplift from the 6700XT.

To me they made one "mistake"* and that was the price of the 7700XT.

* Was not a mistake. It was completely deliberate. Why do I know that? well firstly they will want you to upsell to the more expensive card any way, but also their strategy seems to be "Release high, drop prices, people will buy more".

They have dropped price on EVERY 7000 series card launched so far. Impatience is not an excuse.

7700xt could have just been the 7600xt

Yes I know the upselling , but with Nvidia not caring at all just seems if AMD was more aggressive they could really take some mindshare

Yes they dropped the price after few months do it out of the gate with the price drop we know what they are willing to go and still make profit

It's Common trend now what it will start people doing is not to buy on release

Last edited:
Soldato
7700xt could have just been the 7600xt

Yes I know the upselling , but with Nvidia not caring at all just seems if AMD was more aggressive they could really take some mindshare

Yes they dropped the price after few months do it out of the gate

It's Common trend now what it will start people doing is not to buy on release

FFS dude how many times? Really, do we need to keep going over this?

NAMING DOES NOT MATTER. PRICE DOES. That's it, done, finito on that topic. There is nothing wrong with the 7800XT in any area. It is a good card, good price, I don't care what the fudge they called it. The 7700XT is too expensive RIGHT NOW. That is it. Once it drops to £400 or less? it will be every bit as good as the 7800XT is at a step down.

Have you ever heard that joke "Call me whatever you like"? the name does not matter.

HWUB did a thing where they showed the $ to perf of the 7700XT at $400. It was insane, the best on the market. It will get there too, I absolutely assure you. This is literally week 1.

Soldato
FFS dude how many times? Really, do we need to keep going over this?

NAMING DOES NOT MATTER. PRICE DOES. That's it, done, finito on that topic. There is nothing wrong with the 7800XT in any area. It is a good card, good price, I don't care what the fudge they called it. The 7700XT is too expensive RIGHT NOW. That is it. Once it drops to £400 or less? it will be every bit as good as the 7800XT is at a step down.

Have you ever heard that joke "Call me whatever you like"? the name does not matter.

HWUB did a thing where they showed the $ to perf of the 7700XT at $400. It was insane, the best on the market. It will get there too, I absolutely assure you. This is literally week 1.

Disagree about names don't matter, will just leave it at that

Don't get confused we ain't getting played by either AMD or Nvidia we getting played by both just lesser extent with AMD so sorry if I can't praise them like yourself

Last edited:
Soldato

Let me teach you something about GPUs. Price and performance. That's it. Names don't mean a thing. I would bet you that when YOU look for a GPU you do so based on those two factors only. Even if you are buying a 4090. All you care about is how much it costs and how it performs.

I'm right aren't I?

Soldato
Let me teach you something about GPUs. Price and performance. That's it. Names don't mean a thing. I would bet you that when YOU look for a GPU you do so based on those two factors only. Even if you are buying a 4090. All you care about is how much it costs and how it performs.

I'm right aren't I?

You also said the 6800xt is faster than the 3080

Soldato

I'm right aren't I?

Na I'm used to buying what ever it's succeeding to have bigger uplift with similar pricing with the same tier naming

Last edited:
Associate

Don't get confused we ain't getting played by either AMD or Nvidia we getting played by both just lesser extent with AMD so sorry if I can't praise them like yourself

They don't matter to anyone with sense. Price and performance is all that matters. When I get a new card I want it to be at least double the performance of my current one and at a price that isn't stupid. The name isn't relevant.

Soldato
They don't matter to anyone with sense. Price and performance is all that matters. When I get a new card I want it to be at least double the performance of my current one and at a price that isn't stupid. The name isn't relevant.

Been buying pc hardware since the 3dfx voodoo 3 think I learnt some sense in that time

But let's not call them out with tier naming and parts it's supposedly succeeding previously

Last edited:
Associate
Been buying pc hardware since the 3dfx voodoo 3 think I learnt some sense in that time

But let's not call them out with tier naming and parts it's supposedly succeeding previously

nothing to call them out on. Its just a name. price and performance is all that matters. I can't even see the name of my GPU so WTF does it matter.

Soldato
nothing to call them out on. Its just a name. price and performance is all that matters. I can't even see the name of my GPU so WTF does it matter.

What card do you have and what card did you have previously if I may ask
Fair enough if you think it's nothing to be called out for while retaining same tier naming

7800xt Compute Units 60 to the 72 on the 6800xt

Didn't you in another post call them out for the dumb naming?

Soldato
They are dumb naming and it all stems from the real 7800 XT money grab (aka 7900 XT).

If I had a £450 - £500 budget, then the 7800 XT fits right in there at £480 and gives between 50% - 60% uplift against my previous 6700 XT that cost ~£460. Not only do you get a serious performance uplift, you get 4GB more VRAM. With that level of uplift they could call it the rainbow pride edition for all I cared.

When judged against its technically comparable predecessor on chip naming convention and price and against the Nvidia competition, the 7800 XT is a genuinely great GPU. Well if you are getting stuck up on the name, then take a step back and get real. I would understand if AMD tried to charge ~£600 for this, but they aren’t.

Associate
What card do you have and what card did you have previously if I may ask
Fair enough if you think it's nothing to be called out for while retaining same tier naming

7800xt Compute Units 60 to the 72 on the 6800xt

Didn't you in another post call them out for the dumb naming?
It is a but dumb but it really doesn't matter. I'm not "calling them out". Currently got a 5600XT and I used to have a 5700XT.

Soldato
If names didn't matter then why did Nvidia and amd move their entire stack up by one; what's the point of ******* off reviewers and hard core users if names don't matter

To Nvidia and AMD's marketing teams they clearly do matter otherwise they wouldn't be trying to trick people into buying lower tier cards for the same money as 3 years ago and the cards should have simpler names since it doesn't matter. 7700xt should be called AMD0001037

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom