• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

OcUK RX7800XT and RX7700XT review thread

Soldato
If names didn't matter then why did Nvidia and amd move their entire stack up by one; what's the point of ******* off reviewers and hard core users if names don't matter

To Nvidia and AMD's marketing teams they clearly do matter otherwise they wouldn't be trying to trick people into buying lower tier cards for the same money as 3 years ago and the cards should have simpler names since it doesn't matter. 7700xt should be called AMD0001037

Because that will be why the 4070 and 4070ti and all below them have been universally panned by reviewers and buyers. The names would not matter if the prices were correct.

There is no getting around it is there? you may up your names but unless people are completely dumb then you won't get away with it.

However, in this case? we've been over it. AMD are going to release less SKUs now. Which is good right? every one complains about how many CPUs there are that are similar and offer similar performance yet at difference prices? it just causes confusion.

Look, I am not saying this is how it went down at AMD because no one knows, but let's say they decided after the 6000 series and their enormous dies that they were going to just go back to gaming GPUs. Evident by the fact they did not release a tank to compete with the 4090. That fair enough? OK, let us now assume then that they wanted a smaller gaming focussed product stack. If they had named this "branding appropriate" as a 7800 people would have whined "Waaah, where is the XT then? AMD need to release another card!!!" which is the last thing they wanted to do.

This is a 7800XT. AMD decided it was going to be, and that is what it is. It costs considerably less than the 6800XT, so the price is very good. The performance is around the same, so that is very good considering the 6800XT was £170 or so more.

Whether we like it or not? the 40 series cards are also what Nvidia released them as. And, that is why they stink so bad. However, the prices also stink.

BTW something else to ponder. Nvidia have basically given up on PC gaming. They can now make $30k from a couple of lumps of silicon so why would they want to sell them for 20 times less? for what? gaming?

As such AMD know this. So there is no point trying to go broke in a pointless peeing the highest competition. As such yeah, this round the naming may seem a bit strange. I repeat - who ****** cares man? THE PRICE is what is important.

US guy - Gotta have the Nike swoosh.
Me -bah, Airwalks are fine.

Soldato
Because that will be why the 4070 and 4070ti and all below them have been universally panned by reviewers and buyers. The names would not matter if the prices were correct.
Then why did Nvidia rename the 4080 12GB to a 4070 Ti if names don't matter, why didn't they just reduce the price by $100.

Honestly the whole names don't matter thing is absurd, it's like saying words don't matter. Let's all start calling an orange an apple, let's all start calling a motorbike a car, let's all start calling a graphics card a horse.

Associate
Then why did Nvidia rename the 4080 12GB to a 4070 Ti if names don't matter, why didn't they just reduce the price by $100.

Honestly the whole names don't matter thing is absurd, it's like saying words don't matter. Let's all start calling an orange an apple, let's all start calling a motorbike a car, let's all start calling a graphics card a horse.

That isn't remotely the same thing.

Soldato

nope, take your radeon tinted glasses off.

4070/ti is above every rdna2 and 3 gpu in the steam survey, so buyers prefer it over anything radeon,

zBNkDYX.png

6YkhINW.png

Last edited:
Soldato

Because unlike the 7800XT which makes a modicum of sense the 4080 12gb did not. That would have meant two cards with exactly the same name, yet completely and utterly different. AMD have not released two cards with the same name. Yet :D

Associate
What isn't? Maybe you'd like to explain why it's not while you're at it instead of just expecting people to accept it simply because you said so.
calling an apple and orange would be like calling a cpu and gpu. They are fundamentally different things. Model name doesn't change the fact it is a GPU. I'm buying my next GPU for price and performance not because it has a certain name.

Soldato
That isn't remotely the same thing

nope, take your radeon tinted glasses off.

4070/ti is above every rdna2 and 3 gpu in the steam survey, so buyers prefer it over anything radeon,

zBNkDYX.png

6YkhINW.png

And? so even after being told they are not very good and far too expensive they bought them any way.

And you expect me to be surprised? that is how it has always been. Just because people are buying them does not make them good value. You basically have a 3080 and 3090 for the same price. What a deal !

Soldato
What isn't? Maybe you'd like to explain why it's not while you're at it instead of just expecting people to accept it simply because you said so.

Let me try this time, with some comparisons.

A
4070 Ti was $800 MSRP
3070 Ti was $600 MSRP

Nvidia have moved their pricing up 33% and gave an uplift in performance of 35% at 1440p. So complete price/performance stagnation from one gen to the next.

B
7800 XT is $500 MSRP
6700 XT was $480 MSRP

AMD have moved their naming up one tier, but the price is very similar. Not only that but the performance uplift is quite substantial. At 1440p you are getting 45% extra performance for a less than 5% increase in price. This gives a price/performance improvement of ~40%.

C
7800 XT is $500 MSRP
6800 XT was $650 MSRP

AMD have kept the same naming, but the price is 23% lower. The performance is the same. At 1440p according to TPU this gives a price/performance improvement of ~25%

Now you tell me which how these three scenarios are comparable?

This is what we mean by the name is irrelevant as long as the price/perf improves by a decent amount. The 7800 XT offers a price/perf improvement over the 6700 XT, 6800 and the 6800 XT.

I’m not saying AMD are perfect but you can’t claim what Nvidia did with the 4070 Ti and what AMD have done with the 7800 XT are comparable.

Last edited:
Soldato
IMO the 7700XT is priced not to clobber the warehouses full of 6750XT / 6800 cards; when they've shifted them it'll drop price. In Scott Herkelsmen 78D chess it probably made some kind of sense to launch it instead of holding it back another month or two.

Soldato
Because unlike the 7800XT which makes a modicum of sense the 4080 12gb did not. That would have meant two cards with exactly the same name, yet completely and utterly different. AMD have not released two cards with the same name. Yet :D
calling an apple and orange would be like calling a cpu and gpu. They are fundamentally different things. Model name doesn't change the fact it is a GPU. I'm buying my next GPU for price and performance not because it has a certain name.
Let me try this time, with some comparisons.
So in other words names do matter. :cry:

Soldato
So in other words names do matter. :cry:

Really you think the comparisons I showed prove you are right?

This is some really terrible levels of fallacy now. Your pathetic and childish trolling emoticon responses show you for the waste of time you are. Yet here I was mistakenly assuming your rational posting on the political forums showed you were capable of honest adult debate.

Last edited:
Soldato
Murphy wasn't around when the previously mentioned shenanigans were taking place. By several years :) Even if he was I doubt he'd go to the lengths of making a YouTube channel and posting utter FUD videos on it.

I mean the green bias to the point where it becomes obvious that rational discourse is impossible. For me it is the height of childish behaviour to simply reply to someone trying to have an honest debate, by leaving a daft emoticon.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom