• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

OcUK RX7800XT and RX7700XT review thread

Soldato
Nvidia are far worse can't stand them, but for some AMD are immune to any sort of criticism yes they are providing better deals from this sh#t show of a generation but let's not pretend they ain't also playing us

Absolutely agree. I thought the 7900 XT and even XTX release prices were a total joke. The fact they renamed the true 7800 XT replacement was not my problem though. It was that they increased the price by almost 40% from $650 to $900, and the performance about the same. So we got literally zero price/perf increase.

The ONLY reason AMD priced it like this was to sell the 7900 XTX. They are doing the same with the 7700 XT to sell the 7800 XT. The only positive is that at least the 7700 XT and 7800 XT do provide a decent price/perf increase over last gen.

Like I said, beating Nvidia on price/performance is such a low bar, that AMD only look better by default.

Associate
Nvidia and AMD play us in different ways. AMD is in the naming, and the absolute wealth of different cards on the market. Try working through that lot. 6600 sir? A 6600XT is better? 6650XT sir? What about a 6700XT? 6750? 6750XT? 6800? 6800XT? 6900XT? 6950XT?

Nvidia just outright lies to us what the card is actually capable of.

Soldato
The 4070 is a piece of #### compared with the RX 7800XT.

Another one with AMD tainted specs on. For someone so vocal in support of AMD you never seem to back that up with a Radeon purchase, weird that.

Fact is people like me buy Nvidia over AMD because of the quality features and software, that's a preference. I wouldn't swap my 4070 for any current Radeon until they get the quality of features at or above nvidia. I prefer to use RT, DLSS and frame gen, something the Radeon can't compete in. You could say the 7800xt is a piece of **** compared to the 4070 in that area. Not to mention the 4070 below is 50% faster using 80 watts less.

fekJEIf.png

Nvidia and AMD play us in different ways. AMD is in the naming, and the absolute wealth of different cards on the market. Try working through that lot. 6600 sir? A 6600XT is better? 6650XT sir? What about a 6700XT? 6750? 6750XT? 6800? 6800XT? 6900XT? 6950XT?

Nvidia just outright lies to us what the card is actually capable of.

Not like AMD didn't publish bogus 7900 series benchmark numbers that were debunked by reviews. Both companies are in it together to screw the consumer, no one should be defending either of them.

Last edited:
Soldato
It’s like being given a choice between a punch in the face from AMD, or running kick in the nads by Nvidia.

Ooh a punch in the face please, thanks AMD.

They are both bad but AMD are simply the least bad choice.

Last edited:
Associate
Honestly, let's put it in a simpler way.
Hi, I'm your average gamer. I'm upgrading from a GTX 1060/RX 580 and I'd like a new card.
I'm looking to either double my performance for less than 300€ or quadruple it for around 600€. What is the best option?

Soldato
Another one with AMD tainted specs on. For someone so vocal in support of AMD you never seem to back that up with a Radeon purchase, weird that.

Fact is people like me buy Nvidia over AMD because of the quality features and software, that's a preference. I wouldn't swap my 4070 for any current Radeon until they get the quality of features at or above nvidia. I prefer to use RT, DLSS and frame gen, something the Radeon can't compete in. You could say the 7800xt is a piece of **** compared to the 4070 in that area. Not to mention the 4070 below is 50% faster using 80 watts less.

fekJEIf.png

Not like AMD didn't publish bogus 7900 series benchmark numbers that were debunked by reviews. Both companies are in it together to screw the consumer, no one should be defending either of them.

Humbug just likes to complain endlessly; I'm not convinced if he bought a 7800xt he'd stop complaining, he'd just find something new to complain about. I think he's mad because he doesn't have money for an upgrade and yeah I get it, that sucks but if you have other priorities in life then maybe pc gaming isn't for you and you should focus your time elsewhere, and but that doesn't mean you have to write 10 posts a day complaining about it and if you maybe worked some overtime or got a second job, then you'd have less time to complain here but you'd probably have enough for a 7900xtx, just an idea

Last edited:
Associate

fekJEIf.png

Features only matter to those that have and continue to play games that incorporate those features.

some of the biggest games on PC and mostly on only PC as well don't even have DLSS or RT, how is a 4070 better here?

Most of the reviewers don't even benchmark PC only games which is ironic to F.

WoW has so many effects and has demanding settings that is worth being benchmarked for, ( WoW even has some limited RT features as well ).

Heres the thing though in your argument, if you want RT, you are inclined to use DLSS or the equivalent which in turn makes the game overall worse since the degradation is very noticeable at every point in a scene, especially in motion and more apparent in highframe rates when you turn off motion blur, sharp fast moving images really show off the flaws of DLSS so to me features like that are not a positive but a negative.

Soldato
I see the 7800XT is doing very well on user benchmark. Not representative of real world performance I know, but it is one of the first things you see whilst comparing GPU's.

One if not the most useless "benchmarking" websites in existences. Useless benches, lots of worthless opinions, but...

...very very very good at search engine optimisation.

Associate
Humbug just likes to complain endlessly; I'm not convinced if he bought a 7800xt he'd stop complaining, he'd just find something new to complain about. I think he's mad because he doesn't have money for an upgrade and yeah I get it, that sucks but if you have other priorities in life then maybe pc gaming isn't for you and you should focus your time elsewhere, and but that doesn't mean you have to write 10 posts a day complaining about it and if you maybe worked some overtime or got a second job, then you'd have less time to complain here but you'd probably have enough for a 7900xtx, just an idea

Probably best you read your posts back to yourself in future before hitting the reply button.

Soldato
Whether it was 7700xt or 7800 non xt it was always going to cost you £480. Had AMD priced this on the 6800xt price point i would see what all the fuss was about but they didn't. The uproar should be about why the 7900xt came in priced well above the 6800xt price point and there was uproar at the time of release. It's called 7800xt because of that move as 7900xt straight to 7700xt leaves a gap in the naming.

Pretty much the shady antics were all done at the high end renaming.
I disagree strongly, the fact they called it a 7800 XT and priced it at £480 makes it worse, they're trying to convince *people that they're getting more for less, that they're getting a generational improvement over the 6800 XT for the price of a 6700 XT,

*Keeping in mind that we're not talking about people who may not have the time and/or knowledge to understand what they're buying, that we're talking about people who see two products and understandably think bigger number equals better.

Soldato
OP
nope, take your radeon tinted glasses off.

4070/ti is above every rdna2 and 3 gpu in the steam survey, so buyers prefer it over anything radeon,

zBNkDYX.png

6YkhINW.png

fekJEIf.png

You paid nearly £600 for an RTX4070 with no free game(from a £370 RTX3060TI also with no free game). You spent weeks single handedly defending a £600 RTX4070 in the locked RTX4070 thread.

This a £480 card with a copy of a £60~£70 game.Could it be better or cheaper? Maybe. However, weeks ago Nvidia was trying to palm off the 16GB RTX4060TI for the same money.

The reality is someone gets an RX7700XT or RX7800XT at RRP,and want Starfield they are not paying massively over what an RTX3060TI/RX6700XT RRP is.

Now its time for Nvidia to drop the RTX4070 pricing and/or include a game too. That will push AMD pricing down. If not,this is the best we will get.

Last edited:
Soldato
I disagree strongly, the fact they called it a 7800 XT and priced it at £480 makes it worse, they're trying to convince *people that they're getting more for less, that they're getting a generational improvement over the 6800 XT for the price of a 6700 XT,

*Keeping in mind that we're not talking about people who may not have the time and/or knowledge to understand what they're buying, that we're talking about people who see two products and understandably think bigger number equals better.
The reality is you are getting a big jump in performance at this price bracket. If people buy without reading reviews then they deserve to be duped as thats called being stupid. Thing is they will still be getting the best card at this mid end price point no matter the name so they cant lose. There is no lose in buying the 7800xt as its the best price/performance card this generation.

Caporegime

fekJEIf.png

If we're going to be cherry picking slides.....

Overall its faster, its got more VRam and its cheaper.

The 4070 is a piece of ####.

T7wUmcw.jpg

6T8RRtN.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
OP

They called it that because they messed up their naming with the RX7900XT. The pricing increase happened with the RX6700XT which was $480,but at least the pricing has stayed around the same level. So you are still getting that same Navi second tier chip for around the same as last generation.

Also you might want to look at the actual improvement:

TPU put it at 47% over the RX6700XT and the RTX4070 is 45% over the RTX3060TI(which is slightly slower than an RX6700XT in their charts). One charged $500 and the other $600 and Starfield is a useful addition(the RX6700XT came with no games at launch). The RX7700XT is 27% faster than an RX6700XT:

The RTX4060TI is 9% faster than an RTX3060TI.

The RTX4070 pricing is even worse,because not only is it a rebrand of the RTX4060TI,Nvidia has pushed 70 series pricing upto 70TI level.

The RTX4060TI has basically screwed over pricing this entire generation. Now if Nvidia drops RTX4070 pricing downwards, perhaps things will start getting back to where they were before the Pandemic in 2019.

But if Nvidia doesn't care,then this is the way things are going to look! :(

Last edited:
Caporegime
The RX 6700XT was overpriced at $479, i'll agree with CAT on that.

The RX 7700XT is 10% faster than the $500 3070 with 50% more VRam, i think it should be a bit cheaper, maybe $430, but its not bad at $450.
Compare that to the 4060Ti 8GB which is a piece of #### because its slow and only has 8GB and the 16GB one which is still slow and now also overpriced.

AMD changed the naming for this gen so the none XT is now XT and XT is now XTX, ok fine..... i get that not having any letters after the numbers causes people to have a mental block and think they are buying something crap, its still missleading.

The 6800 was $579, IMO a reasonable if not great price for that, the 3070Ti was slower and $600 and 8GB, the 3080 $700 and 10GB.

The 7800XT is $80 cheaper (16%) and 20% faster, its also 7% faster than the 4070 with 4GB more VRam and 15% cheaper.

AMD have broken this #### cycle of #### GPU's for #### loads of money.

WBYo3QZ.png

Last edited:
Soldato

The RX 7700XT is 10% faster than the $500 3070 with 50% more VRam, i think it should be a bit cheaper, maybe $430, but its not bad at $450.
Compare that to the 4060Ti 8GB which is a piece of #### because its slow and only has 8GB and the 16GB one which is still slow and now also overpriced.

AMD changed the naming for this gen so the none XT is now XT and XT is now XTX, ok fine..... i get that not having any letters after the numbers causes people to have a mental block and think they are buying something crap, its still missleading.

The 6800 was $579, IMO a reasonable if not great price for that, the 3070Ti was slower and $600 and 8GB, the 3080 $700 and 10GB.

The 7800XT is $80 cheaper (16%) and 20% faster, its also 7% faster than the 4070 with 4GB more VRam and 15% cheaper.

WBYo3QZ.png

enough for you to upgrade now ?

Soldato
The reality is you are getting a big jump in performance at this price bracket. If people buy without reading reviews then they deserve to be duped as thats called being stupid. Thing is they will still be getting the best card at this mid end price point no matter the name so they cant lose. There is no lose in buying the 7800xt as its the best price/performance card this generation.
7800XT like performance for the 7800XT price has been available for the best part of a year now so you’re not really getting anything new except a bit better RT, slightly less power consumption and the RDNA driver based FG that’s coming out next year. You also lose a bit of performance in some titles due to the reduced cache so it’s not all good news.

WBYo3QZ.png
Tbf the 4070 is a joke of a card, I mean what 70 class card couldn’t beat the previous gen 80 in the history of Nvidia cards going back 2 decades and they even wanted more money for it. GTX 1060, 2060, 3060ti all were closer to previous gen 80s than the 4070 and all cost under £400 so that level of performance has seen prices increased by 50% this gen for Nvidia and 25% for AMD.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom