• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

OcUK RX7800XT and RX7700XT review thread

Caporegime
7800XT like performance for the 7800XT price has been available for the best part of a year now so you’re not really getting anything new except a bit better RT, slightly less power consumption and the RDNA driver based FG that’s coming out next year. You also lose a bit of performance in some titles due to the reduced cache so it’s not all good news.

Tbf the 4070 is a joke of a card, I mean what 70 class card couldn’t beat the previous gen 80 in the history of Nvidia cards going back 2 decades and they even wanted more money for it. GTX 1060, 2060, 3060ti all were closer to previous gen 80s than the 4070 and all cost under £400 so that level of performance has seen prices increased by 50% this gen for Nvidia and 25% for AMD.
ButButBut.... Nvidia's marketing tentacles.

nope, take your radeon tinted glasses off.

4070/ti is above every rdna2 and 3 gpu in the steam survey, so buyers prefer it over anything radeon,

zBNkDYX.png

6YkhINW.png

Soldato
7800XT like performance for the 7800XT price has been available for the best part of a year now so you’re not really getting anything new except a bit better RT, slightly less power consumption and the RDNA driver based FG that’s coming out next year. You also lose a bit of performance in some titles due to the reduced cache so it’s not all good news.
While you are correct this has been the norm for just about every Gpu release i have known in the mid range. You could always get last gen's high end for a decent price as they want them all gone. When last gen high end is gone then it's current gen that matters. So comparing current gen with new features the 7800xt is still the best in the segment. One of the reasons the 7800xt is so late to market is due to AMD trying to clean out all the old stock.

Caporegime
I know tech jurnoes are still trying to push the "but you can get a 6800XT for the same money so you have to consider that" no you don't...

What a load of old ####! Lets just be sensible for a moment here and actually consider the 6800XT vs the 7800XT.

You are not buying this https://www.overclockers.co.uk/sapp...ddr6-pci-express-graphics-card-gx-39c-sp.html

Over this https://www.overclockers.co.uk/sapp...6-pci-express-graphics-car-gra-spr-00766.html

Unless you are a monumental idiot, and you're not, so all these tech jurneos still trying to find some angle to ram a "but" in there edgeways can shut the #### up.

Last edited:
Associate
you’re not really getting anything new except a bit better RT, slightly less power consumption and the RDNA driver based FG that’s coming out next year. You also lose a bit of performance in some titles due to the reduced cache so it’s not all good news.
This is funny because the highlighted is exactly what people use to justify paying more for ADA gpus but you are spinning it as a negative for the 7800xt vs 6800xt. We all wish gpus were cheaper but the 7800xt offers a reasonable price/performance(without being EOL) and may drop in price as we move towards holiday sales at the end of the year.

Last edited:
Associate
The only thing the 7800 XT does is give me the confidence to repaste my current card knowing that in the unlikely event I ruin it, I can get a virtual like for like replacement for under £500, not something offered by any other card this generation!

Oh, and I was impressed by the overclocked performance TPU managed to get out of the Nitro+, an additional 15% is decent in terms of recent GPUs.

Last edited:
Caporegime
This is funny because the highlighted is exactly what people use to justify paying more for ADA gpus but you are spinning it as a negative for the 7800xt vs 6800xt. We all wish gpus were cheaper but the 7800xt offers a reasonable price/performance(without being EOL) and may drop in price as we move towards holiday sales at the end of the year.

if you take the 7800XT you're getting 20% more for 16% less, a 35% better price to performance ratio vs last gen, even the 7700XT which we all agree is not quite as good value offers 28% better performance at a 6% discount, so about the same +35%.

The 4060Ti offers a 9% performance boost over the 3060Ti for the same money.

The 4060Ti 16GB is just a joke and the 4070 gives you 22% more for 20% more money while the 4080 offers 50% (yeah nice) for 71% more money (nvm)

Why are these people even in this thread? I haven't looked but are they in the Nvidia thread complaining, at all? Because this isn't the place to be if you're #### off with watch's going on because its all going on with Nvidia.

Caporegime
Agreed, but mostly on the 7700 XT as they end up languishing in warehouses because the daft AMD pricing. Still a decent GPU considering the performance.

Its actually selling quite well, not as well as the 7800XT but still solid, both first batches sold out everywhere, and they were healthy supply batches.

Last edited:
Soldato
The only way I would recommend a 6800 over a 7700 XT, or 6800 XT over a 7800 XT would if they had very good EOL discount sales. 10% cheaper than the newer gen at least IMHO.

Associate
if you take the 7800XT you're getting 20% more for 16% less, a 35% better price to performance ratio vs last gen, even the 7700XT which we all agree is not quite as good value offers 28% better performance at a 6% discount, so about the same +35%.

The 4060Ti offers a 9% performance boost over the 3060Ti for the same money.

The 4060Ti 16GB is just a joke and the 4070 gives you 22% more for 20% more money while the 4080 offers 50% (yeah nice) for 71% more money (nvm)

Why are these people even in this thread? I haven't looked but are they in the Nvidia thread complaining, at all? Because this isn't the place to be if you're #### off with watch's going on because its all going on with Nvidia.

Most of the people i've seen complaining have a 4080/4090, they are just trying to justify their spending habbits.

The 7800xt and 7700xt are decent value for what they are replacing considering how overpriced cards have been in the last few years.

Soldato
OP
Most of the people i've seen complaining have a 4080/4090, they are just trying to justify their spending habbits.

The 7800xt and 7700xt are decent value for what they are replacing considering how overpriced cards have been in the last few years.

Now AMD has made the first move,Nvidia can reduce the price of the RTX4070 and/or include some games. That is how it should work.

After all the RTX2070 first came out,then the RX5700XT came out,then Nvidia tweaked the range after that.

Last edited:
Soldato
You paid nearly £600 for an RTX4070 with no free game(from a £370 RTX3060TI also with no free game). You spent weeks single handedly defending a £600 RTX4070 in the locked RTX4070 thread.

This a £480 card with a copy of a £60~£70 game.Could it be better or cheaper? Maybe. However, weeks ago Nvidia was trying to palm off the 16GB RTX4060TI for the same money.

The reality is someone gets an RX7700XT or RX7800XT at RRP,and want Starfield they are not paying massively over what an RTX3060TI/RX6700XT RRP is.

Now its time for Nvidia to drop the RTX4070 pricing and/or include a game too. That will push AMD pricing down. If not,this is the best we will get.

I genuinely don't feel that is going to happen.

Really, I think Nvidia are 100% done with PC gaming.

Let's move away from things like naming and pricing for a while.

Starfield has no official DLSS. The one thing people forgot to actually do was ask Nvidia why. As it happens, and was pointed out by Bethesda and I quote "Nvidia have not approached us". I have heard that basically? they did not want to pay for Bethesda to add it. Whereas AMD? did.

Now let us move onto the last like, "big" title before that.

DLSS is not functional at all. Nothing. Is any one missing the memo here? let me point it out for you. Nvidia are not approaching game companies, and they are not offering up help or even 1p in support. Nothing, zero, nada. As a company who pimped RT and DLSS to get people to buy GPUs they should also have been prepared financially to make them happen. But, like a lot of things they have pushed over the years? they have not followed on with the support.

Then, let us move onto what you get with an Nvidia GPU now. A few free skins for a crap game. That is it. All that money, and that is all you get. It's pathetic. Talk about a cop out. I mean, even before Starfield AMD were giving out Dead Island 2. Which was also a £60 game and has not dropped much in price since. Before that? it was The Last Of Us. Before that? something else big. I know because I have bought several AMD codes now and activated them on my various cards.

Yet Nvidia are just not bothered it seems.

Which leads me onto my point. If they are not bothering to approach game devs and willing to offer up the money needed to court them? I would avoid like the clap. Honestly this one time? I actually hope I am wrong and y'all with Nvidia cards are not now ginger headed step kids. Sadly with their actions of late? that is exactly how it feels.

Going back to the fanboy joke? last AMD GPU I bought was a 7990 at a massive discount. Every single one since then was Nvidia, as I always preferred them. It is only since mining and the fact they clearly didn't give a crap about us AND have not even tried to make amends? I have moved onto AMD. However the sole reason I ended up with three AMD GPUs? all based on the price and the freebies included.

Soldato
I really hope Nvidia isn't allocating dev resources away from gaming. It only means this crap market we have is going to be normalised! :(

Well you can't get away from the facts. Like I have said, everything under the 4080 is pathetic, and the 4080 and 4090 are pathetic prices.

I also said that they can now charge 30k for a couple of lumps of silicon. And they can. Their sole focus is and has been AI now. That is where they will become something else other than a gaming based company (which has always had serious limitations). I also think this is why Lisa Su and AMD continually keep going on about being gaming focussed, and releasing cards that are affordable (if a bit more boring). Like I also said, and was correct on, they could have competed with the 4090. However, they also said "£1700 GPUs said no one ever". All they are doing now is making gaming GPUs.

BTW if I paid £1700 for a GPU and then had to pay some dude for DLSS I would be seething.

Last edited:
Soldato
It’s actually selling quite well, not as well as the 7800XT but still solid, both first batches sold out everywhere, and they were healthy supply batches.
Again it is surprising especially as the 6800 has been available for that price or less for almost a year now and does come with more vram, bandwidth and cache so why didn’t all the people who rushed out to buy a 7700XT just buy a 6800 months ago?

Back
Top Bottom