• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

OcUK Ryzen 5 9600X and Ryzen 7 9700X review thread

Why is it so complicated? AMD obviously cut the TDP a lot last second, or boost behaviour and so performance is far below the original slides.

Turn PBO on and you get a massive jump in performance.

PBO doesn't change gaming performance so nope

But you know what does, disabling SMT. Zen5 is hungry for memory bandwidth so disabling SMT improves gaming performance by 5%

PBO doesn't change gaming performance so nope

But you know what does, disabling SMT. Zen5 is hungry for memory bandwidth so disabling SMT improves gaming performance by 5%

It does for non-gaming performance a lot. Techpowerup haven't done PBO only with the 9700X for non-gaming benchmarks. They've done it only with SMT off which immediately cripples them.

Previous Ryzen 7 chips had a 142W power limit when boosting.

Screenshot-2024-08-10-154323.png

Screenshot-2024-08-10-154806.png

And it does help lift gaming performance, it just won't match the 7800X3D which the slides never said.

Last edited:
i thought the slide in steves video said ryzen 7 5800x3d and the person doing the presentation mispoke.

Slide only said the 9700X was 12% faster than 5800X3D.

The person likely didn't misspeak, but shouldn't have claimed that its about a few percent faster than the 7800X3D. That was probably based on no evidence and BS. Especially given the 7800X3D is more than 12% faster than the 5800X3D.

In gaming the 7800X3D on launch was 18-20% faster than the 5800X3D.

or in newest review

7800X3D is 29% faster than the 5800X3D.

The 9700X is confirmed above as 11% faster than 5800X3D.

Last edited:
Or XT chips with the TDPs they should have launched with, assuming AMD aren't worried about silicon degradation.

Its got me wondering if AMD might release the 7600/7700 as 35w/45w CPU's if efficiency is really what they're aiming for, with the Ryzen 9's being for those that want the full power of Zen 5 in gaming and productivity as the TDP's of them are already announced as 120 and 170.

Ryzen 7's being efficient by default but have the option to use PBO/manual OC for more performance.

Will have to wait and see what they do with the non X chips whenever they show up.

I honestly like that they have gone for efficiency that has options for the user to make them faster, just getting sick of some of these reviewers complaining.

8 Packs review was decent and he didnt complain either.. well done 8 Pack!

Those Linux benchmarks though! Intel getting rinsed! :D

Its got me wondering if AMD might release the 7600/7700 as 35w/45w CPU's if efficiency is really what they're aiming for, with the Ryzen 9's being for those that want the full power of Zen 5 in gaming and productivity as the TDP's of them are already announced as 120 and 170.

Ryzen 7's being efficient by default but have the option to use PBO/manual OC for more performance.

Will have to wait and see what they do with the non X chips whenever they show up.

I honestly like that they have gone for efficiency that has options for the user to make them faster, just getting sick of some of these reviewers complaining.

I assume you mean derbauer?

We will almost certainly see 35watt Zen desktop parts.

Windows just ____ sucks, yet another reason to switch to Linux.
Out of interest, have you?

The worrying things is that it's not just one review site that got disappointing results. So is there a difference in the samples different reviewers got?
That's not good for us buying them if there's such a big difference (there's always been a silicone lottery but that usually affects OCing rather than out-of-the-box).
Maybe this explains the different results from PBO where it also seems results are mixed?

Went over the AMD PR 9700X slide deck again and added some more games from other sites not just CB (didn't find any others a 7900 XTX though).
Let's remind ourselves what AMD PR claimed vs the i7-14700K:
jpO2rif.png

Now what did I find?
BWCFVYk.png

that is so far away from:
Y7LKAvo.png

That we can only file AMD PR's slides as complete fiction.

All the credibility they build up with previous Ryzen launches is now totally gone.
The RDNA3 slides were equally total fiction.

What is hard to fathom is this: Zen5 is not a bad CPU and is competitive - for now - but why all the lies?

Plus, 22 months to stand still? ARM are not resting, and even Intel will sort themselves out some day so what does Zen 5 bring which Zen 4 did not bring already?

EDIT: somehow put the wrong claim against the wrong row. So went over the figures again in post #344 below (unfortunately this did mean there no longer are any 7900 XTX figures for what that is worth)

Last edited:
Went over the AMD PR 9700X slide deck again and added some more games from other sites not just CB (didn't find any others a 7900 XTX though).
jpO2rif.png

Now what did I find?
BWCFVYk.png

Y7LKAvo.png

All the credibility they build up with previous Ryzen launches is now totally gone.

What is hard to fathom is this: Zen5 is not a bad CPU and is competitive - for now - but why all the lies?

Plus, 22 months to stand still? ARM are not resting, and even Intel will sort themselves out some day so what does Zen 5 bring which Zen 4 did not bring already?

A few points to consider.

We’ve seen two chips from Zen5 out probably a 100 or more parts. Probably worth keeping that in mind.

ARM don’t sell CPUs. Hardware manufacturers, operating systems and software vendors have to first get behind the model. To even start down this road lots of money needs to change hands and lots of time need to committed. Im talking decades and eyewater sums. For any ARM designs to take off and compete, it will require some very optimistic wealthy backers prepared to take huge risks in the world most technically and challenging and demanding market.

How many of these click bait videos have they made in the last 24 hours? 4, 5? Yes this is getting stupid.
The last video they made was 2 days ago and it was the 9600X review video and how is this a clickbait video they provide some good analysis, make some valid criticism and suggest ways to improve.
He has a business to run and staff to pay at the end of day, if he can make some money calling out AMD on their mistakes then so be it. I watched the video and tbh there wasn't anything wrong or misleading with what's being said and probably reflects the feelings of what a lot of people are feeling right now.
They will call out all vendors if there's money to be made as they have and I thought it was a good video there's also a discussion started in the GPU forum about this as the points in the video echo what some posters feel about it.

jpO2rif.png

Now what did I find?
BWCFVYk.png

Y7LKAvo.png

I think part of the problem is when AMD mess up people still come out and dismiss any criticism, rubbish any negative reviews or try and switch the narrative like we saw with the efficiency claims before those were debunked.

Now we have people claiming these 6 and 8 core chips are for productivity and are not aimed at gamers yet AMD calls the 9700X a gaming cpu on its product page.

Yea. I have a 7800X3D so I'm not an intel fanboy. I'm very happy with the CPU. If I'm being honest, I've always been happy with whatever CPU I had (usually intel). At the end of the day, lower-resolution-graph-battles notwithstanding, I've found it's always been the GPU that decides what my PC gets up to.

But this seems like a very, very poor generation they've just released. Infact I'm a bit dumbfounded by it all if I'm honest. I just can't quite figure out what exactly is going on here. It's almost a regression? 2 years later and a node better? I don't follow this stuff at all. Was there some 11900k'esque shenanigans at play here? Some late-stage node desperation changes? Contract dispute?

Who are these CPUs for exactly? A gamer is going to find the bar graphs underwhelming. Anyone with rendering to do isn't going to get a 6 or 8 core in 2024.

And the truly disheartening thing is despite this mediocre lateral release, presumably the CPUs have no manufacturing damage, so you still have to recommend them over Intel, because quality control concerns trumps all performance disputes - overblown or not. Improbable or not. You just can't take that risk. What a mess

Back
Top Bottom