• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

OcUK Ryzen 5 9600X and Ryzen 7 9700X review thread

his (correct) point is that if you get almost no additional performance, Zen4 is currently better value

incoming price cuts are in the air
if 9700X cost the same as 7700X, nobody would have a problem recommending it

But the 9700X has significantly more performance.

Will we ever know how they ended up with the claims in the slides ? No one seems to match them
could it be an intern doing for example handbrake benchmark and reading results wrong? instead of 9700X being 42% faster than 14700K it actually took 42% more time to run. And bigger number better, right?

Last edited:
his (correct) point is that if you get almost no additional performance, Zen4 is currently better value

incoming price cuts are in the air
if 9700X cost the same as 7700X, nobody would have a problem recommending it

The great thing about that is when the 9700X gets a price cut so will the 7700/X :D

woop woop...

Last edited:
If it's still in stock

Oh... they will be in stock for the next year and more, they aren't going to stop making them because they still make them for EPYC and a lot of those wont meet binning for that, its why they are still making Ryzen 5000, they are never short on stock despite how well they sell, because they always have new batches of them that don't bin to EPYC.

AMD have a lot of chips they need to offload, they are becoming a problem of their own success.

Last edited:
Oh... they will be in stock for the next year and more, they aren't going to stop making them because they still make them for EPYC and a lot of those wont meet binning for that, its why they are still making Ryzen 5000, they are never short on stock despite how well they sell, because they always have new batches of them that don't bin to EPYC.

AMD have a lot of chips they need to offload, they are becoming a problem of their own success.

Makes me even less to jump on AM5 with this release,

Probably will at some point but will likely be going through the used market

AMD confirmed the 9700x is 5% on average faster than the 7700x across 23 games , if you can believe that :D

Which is disappointing, but you what? If as a result of that they get cheap enough its a win for us because no matter which way you cut it they are still very good chips, its just about price, and if they get cheaper it may even end up as a win for AMD because cheap AMD CPU's is a loss for Intel.

Who's buying 8 cores for workloads? It's marketed as a gaming chip
I will probably be one
Except my "workloads" is just browser/IDE/desktop stuff. Looking for responsiveness.
And since in browser benchmarks 9700X shows fair and square 14-25% improvement, that works for me.

But I hope some more exploration is done about whats holding Zen5 back
Some is power limit - but PBO doesn't always help, and ruins any claims about improved efficiency
Some is memory starvation. Same IOD, same bandwidth -> same peak performance as 7700X.
Games will probably show a solid improvement from tuned DDR5-6400 memory. But that would apply to 7700X as well

Pbo
I will probably be one
Except my "workloads" is just browser/IDE/desktop stuff. Looking for responsiveness.
And since in browser benchmarks 9700X shows fair and square 14-25% improvement, that works for me.

But I hope some more exploration is done about whats holding Zen5 back
Some is power limit - but PBO doesn't always help, and ruins any claims about improved efficiency
Some is memory starvation. Same IOD, same bandwidth -> same peak performance as 7700X.
Games will probably show a solid improvement from tuned DDR5-6400 memory. But that would apply to 7700X as well

You telling me you notice the difference in browser? Other then numbers in the benchmarks ? I was more thinking video / photo editing etc the heavy stuff

Unless it's some old CPU with HDD and low ram I don't think you should feel the difference from modern CPUs from past few years or more

Oof bad data from Steve. Prices have dropped launch to launch.
Only if you're gullible and fall for the marketing, thankfully most people can see through it and don't forget the 7000 65w parts also came with the box cooler which added an extra bit of VFM.

Screenshot-832.png

Screenshot-833.png

Back
Top Bottom