• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

OcUK Ryzen 5 9600X and Ryzen 7 9700X review thread

I will probably be one
Except my "workloads" is just browser/IDE/desktop stuff. Looking for responsiveness.
And since in browser benchmarks 9700X shows fair and square 14-25% improvement, that works for me.

But I hope some more exploration is done about whats holding Zen5 back
Some is power limit - but PBO doesn't always help, and ruins any claims about improved efficiency
Some is memory starvation. Same IOD, same bandwidth -> same peak performance as 7700X.
Games will probably show a solid improvement from tuned DDR5-6400 memory. But that would apply to 7700X as well

This is a little odd isn’t it. Very strong in some workloads and not so much in others. I have a hunch it’s something to do with predictions. I’ve seen it before where the performance increases after running similar work types repeatedly.

Last edited:
Only if you're gullible and fall for the marketing, thankfully most people can see through it and don't forget the 7000 65w parts also came with the box cooler which added an extra bit of VFM.

Screenshot-832.png

Screenshot-833.png

Or lack the ability to think objectively.

Wouldn't that just drop the performance even more not like they are much ahead already
Not my point though, even the 7500F is a 65w part so basically its starting to look like AMD have done an Nvidia with their 4000 GPU's.. changed the stack.

I do feel like the 9950X is gona come out strong though (same TDP and same clock speeds). Should see the real gains in this chip.

Last edited:
core count and TDP is sort of the only thing you can use to compare different chips, reviewed blind with no identifiers the reviews would have been interesting and likely would have got to this realisation sooner.

In fact, get HUB or GN to take all of their data, remove the identifers, review THEN add the names back and (using current price) see where they all sit, over to you Steve(s)

Last edited:
Something was said about them improving the x3D chips so does that mean they'll get a bigger than usual boost for games? Or is it marketing nonsense again from AMD?

Either way though it's not really going to do anything for Windows/Applications.

Zen 5 is a complete failure in performance vs zen 4.
And in terms of efficiency since the 7700 is basically the same.

As a relatively out of touch pc hardware person...

Haven't cpus been marginal gains in gaming for years now? I've been seeing some of this ryzen drama on YouTube but was under the impression that a cpu isn't ever going to blow you away outside of productivity tasks.

Seems to me there's a bunch of hype about nothing and it's likely since significant gpu releases are long overdue and hardware channels just want some excitement out of a boring as hell cpu release.

Not my point though, even the 7500F is a 65w part so basically its starting to look like AMD have done an Nvidia with their 4000 GPU's.. changed the stack.

I do feel like the 9950X is gona come out strong though (same TDP and same clock speeds). Should see the real gains in this chip.
Don't forget AMD did that with their GPUs also, 7900XTX was in reality just the successor to 6900XT and the actual 7900XT we did get should have been the 7800XT, because of all the naming shenanigans the 7800XT ended up no faster than the 6800XT so this tactic is not new from AMD.

I still don't think we'll see much from the 9900X and 9950X, the PBO data we have from the 9600X and 9700X when not power limited isn't very impressive.

Haven't cpus been marginal gains in gaming for years now? I've been seeing some of this ryzen drama on YouTube but was under the impression that a cpu isn't ever going to blow you away outside of productivity tasks.

Seems to me there's a bunch of hype about nothing and it's likely since significant gpu releases are long overdue and hardware channels just want some excitement out of a boring as hell cpu release.
Gaming gains on AMDs chips have usually been around 20% for the past 3 generations so this is the first for a while that its been so poor.

Last edited:
Without digging too hard, I'd though I'd use the TPU 720P score for Zen 1, 1+, 2, 3, 4, and 5:
YZLngMo.png

where I had to go to the 5800X review as the 1700X is no longer in the current set
Or using Passmark (usually super easy to find but only 9600X scores for now)
DMGPCl0.png

As I said no 9700X figures for passmark yet, and 9600X vs 7600X is also slightly better with the TPU 720 figures where it is 103.945% (192.3 /185).

So for home users and gamers, this was by far the worst Zen release. Zen 6 had better be very good!

EDIT:

Gaming gains on AMDs chips have usually been around 20% for the past 3 generations so this is the first for a while that its been so poor.
Snap! There you go. Ignoring the refresh Zen 1+ (2700X), the average was +28%

Last edited:
Also if anyone is wondering why toms hardware shows big PBO gaming gains for the 9000 CPUs it’s because the stock tests were done with 5600mhz ram while the 7000 series were running just 5200mhz, the 9000 PBO were done with 6000mhz.

The 7000 were never tested with PBO and 6000mhz ram.

If you compare a cpu from when Ryzen started to the best today you might triple average fps in specific scenarios but in 4K it is much less important because the GPU is taking so long to draw frames the cpu barely matters. On average you get a good gain by having a modern cpu.

This particular launch is boring but we've had really good gains towards gaming performance from AMD forcing more than 4 cores into mainstream which initially didn't matter for games but once they existed, game devs got comfortable making games to take advantage. Now the hot sauce for gaming is 3D V Cache which sticks a big chunk of expensive memory on the cpu to store and recover little bits of game data much faster than alternatives for a fps boost *despite* having a lower clock speed than a cpu without 3D V Cache. This usually does nothing for productivity tasks as they don't usually benefit from constantly checking many little bits of data as games do. It is used in expensive server cpus for specific workloads but for most people it's just really good for games.

I still don't think we'll see much from the 9900X and 9950X, the PBO data we have from the 9600X and 9700X when not power limited isn't very impressive.
We'll soon see with what the reviews show us on Wednesday.

Guess I'll be sticking with my 5800X3D no matter what they do.. will upgrade GPU first and then wait for Zen 6 :)

If you compare a cpu from when Ryzen started to the best today you might triple average fps in specific scenarios but in 4K it is much less important because the GPU is taking so long to draw frames the cpu barely matters. On average you get a good gain by having a modern cpu.

This particular launch is boring but we've had really good gains towards gaming performance from AMD forcing more than 4 cores into mainstream which initially didn't matter for games but once they existed, game devs got comfortable making games to take advantage. Now the hot sauce for gaming is 3D V Cache which sticks a big chunk of expensive memory on the cpu to store and recover little bits of game data much faster than alternatives for a fps boost *despite* having a lower clock speed than a cpu without 3D V Cache. This usually does nothing for productivity tasks as they don't usually benefit from constantly checking many little bits of data as games do. It is used in expensive server cpus for specific workloads but for most people it's just really good for games.

I feel most people who I would consider a hardware enthusiast would be pc gaming at least 1440p or 4k by now. Unless everyone is a 240hz 1080p competitive fps gamer, I just can't see what is exciting about cpu releases.

My 5600x is seemingly still capable and I've had it since April 2021.

Guess it's a good job these things aren't setting the world on fire cos it saves me fomo :)

I feel most people who I would consider a hardware enthusiast would be pc gaming at least 1440p or 4k by now. Unless everyone is a 240hz 1080p competitive fps gamer, I just can't see what is exciting about cpu releases.

My 5600x is seemingly still capable and I've had it since April 2021.

Guess it's a good job these things aren't setting the world on fire cos it saves me fomo :)
CPUs can still play an important role even at the high end when using heavy RT and upscaling.

Back
Top Bottom