• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

OcUK Ryzen APU review thread

Permabanned
So a couple of weeks in and I am very happy with the general performance. I have the Ram running at 2933 for daily use at tight timings which it seems happy with.
I have really struggled to get any extra speed out of the GPU - I think that might be down to thermals but I am not sure. Anything above 1300mhz just isn't stable for me - though I have launch day silicon also and I suspect that might be an issue.
I am running the system with a 1TB SSD and the whole thing is just super fast and responsive for everything I do daily.

Good to read. I'm interested to see what they'll do with these APU's in the future.

Soldato
They are limited when it comes to FPS and very graphically intense stuff - but for strategy/indi games they are great.

I think they have a really awesome general desktop chip here. You couldn't choose Ryzen for a workstation PC before now unless it was high end enough to have a discrete card. Now you can and they are a very attractive proposition.

Soldato
They are limited when it comes to FPS and very graphically intense stuff - but for strategy/indi games they are great.

I think they have a really awesome general desktop chip here. You couldn't choose Ryzen for a workstation PC before now unless it was high end enough to have a discrete card. Now you can and they are a very attractive proposition.

What are the like in windows and browsing, as snappy as Intel?

Soldato
I havnt had a new home PC for ages. Compared to the i5 with SSD I use at work it is quicker. I only typically ever have 6 or so tabs open on chrome, but reaction times on that are always just instant.

Soldato
Ok mobo came with updated bios. It might be going back because it can't run 4k 60 youtube content back smoothly, I mean WTF. The GPU decode is hitting 90+% and causing massive frame drops. Unless someone can come up with a solution it's going back.

Soldato
Drivers? Pretty sure all modern AMD GPUs (including the new Vega iGPUs) can decode that sort of stuff fine. My RX480 can do 2160p60 HEVC for sure. You might also try switching between VP9 and AVC/HEVC in YouTube's settings.

EDIT: Turns out Raven Ridge has a different video decoding engine to the discrete GPUs, which is less powerful. However, it should be able to handle what you're trying according to this:

fPP7QTzBFt4qbLYg.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
No Amazon and there was no sticker confirming raven ridge support. It's the same with all browsers but I think it's a bit better after installing fresh windows, around 80% use with 4K 60 video, forget 8K. The 1030 does it better but this is a tidy little package.

Soldato
Am also happy with R5 2400g, can play games at 1080P on mid to high settings, and it uses so little power and runs cool with cheap aio. Surpisnlgy quick CPU part in general. Keeps pace with all the quad core intel chips I have owned. For £149 surely this chip is a steal?

I do hope we get maybe a 6 core APU with better iGPU in the future, as I would like to bump up to higher settings etc in future games and really want to avoid the need to a DGPU from now on. AM really only playing 1 or 2 PC games atm so not a current concern. APU upgrade path would be great though.

Miners can have the DGPU's at the current prices thank you very much xD

Soldato
Just fired up portal 2 and WTF, it only plays it maxed out at 4k no AA at 60+ FPS. It's a keeper. I got a dodgy cooler with mine, bearing has gone and it's as loud as ****. Good job the Noctua AM4 mount kit is landing tomorrow.

Soldato
OP
No Amazon and there was no sticker confirming raven ridge support. It's the same with all browsers but I think it's a bit better after installing fresh windows, around 80% use with 4K 60 video, forget 8K. The 1030 does it better but this is a tidy little package.

Ah,OK - it could be the drivers,so it would not surprise me when they launch newer ones things improve in that regard.

Soldato
What are people's thoughts on these for home server / NAS duties? (Bear with me!)

Main limitation I'm finding with non APU Ryzen is that to add a decent NIC and HBA/RAID controller you obviously can't use the main x16 PCIE slot, as building a completely headless system is a non starter for me at least...

but with APU Ryzen, even though there are less lanes you can at that point use what would have been the GPU slot for a PCIEx8 storage card, and still have a x4 slot free for faster networking (and still retain 1 M2 x4 and USB 3.1???)

Am I completely off on this? Does anyone knows if the is correct? Or are the APUs more limited? I notice they still have the Virtualisation features and ECC listed on the specs at least :)

Really don't want to go E3 Xeon if I can help it

Soldato
What are people's thoughts on these for home server / NAS duties? (Bear with me!)

Main limitation I'm finding with non APU Ryzen is that to add a decent NIC and HBA/RAID controller you obviously can't use the main x16 PCIE slot, as building a completely headless system is a non starter for me at least...

but with APU Ryzen, even though there are less lanes you can at that point use what would have been the GPU slot for a PCIEx8 storage card, and still have a x4 slot free for faster networking (and still retain 1 M2 x4 and USB 3.1???)

Am I completely off on this? Does anyone knows if the is correct? Or are the APUs more limited? I notice they still have the Virtualisation features and ECC listed on the specs at least :)

Really don't want to go E3 Xeon if I can help it

Nah, that sounds like a winner. Sit it behind the TV and it can do media server duties too. Be a nice little low power setup too if done right.

Back
Top Bottom