• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

OcUK Ryzen APU review thread

HeX

HeX

Soldato
Doesn't seem to be anything wrong with the APU's themselves, non of what he just talked through is a hardware issue, it's all various software that hasn't been updated to function correctly with the new hardware. Developers need to start taking AMD seriously again and getting updates/patches/BIOS out before product launches.

Soldato
Doesn't seem to be anything wrong with the APU's themselves, non of what he just talked through is a hardware issue, it's all various software that hasn't been updated to function correctly with the new hardware. Developers need to start taking AMD seriously again and getting updates/patches/BIOS out before product launches.
He was also talking about the asrock board having quite poor options.
I think AMD need to rein this sort of thing in.

HeX

HeX

Soldato
As I said, developers need to start taking them seriously and allocating time to getting stable fully featured BIOSes out in time for launch. Some board partners have managed it fine, others are lacking. AMD have no control over this, and the same thing happened with Ryzen launch because board manufacturers are used to AMD not being competetive or in demand for the last decade, so they've got used to not being too bothered about AMD product launches.

Soldato
As I said, developers need to start taking them seriously and allocating time to getting stable fully featured BIOSes out in time for launch. Some board partners have managed it fine, others are lacking. AMD have no control over this, and the same thing happened with Ryzen launch because board manufacturers are used to AMD not being competetive or in demand for the last decade, so they've got used to not being too bothered about AMD product launches.
Whilst they cannot control the likes of asrock etc, the vega launch was also a mess.
Infact a lot of releases lately are a mess, I wish they would get it right first time instead of rushing.

Soldato

Not necessarily, wasn't the memory compat issue with Ryzen when it launched down to AMD dont they maintain AGESA.

Associate
I think the Intel Hades Canyon is what other geezer wants , intel cpu + powerful vega gfx , sadly tho not likely to be released to the public. Only problems are price £700 and power draw (2x 240 power bricks iirc)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rOTKgvPUXN8
Otherwise I think thses look fine a do-it-all media gaming browsing Nuc .. except for the price of 8gb of 3600mhz memory

Soldato
This is a really impressive customer service from AMD. Intel make you buy a whole new motherboard, whilst AMD will send you a CPU so that you can update and use an existing motherboard.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Just realised these have fewer PCI-E lanes. So not a good option to build for an HTPC system with the option of dropping in a GPU further down the line?

Associate
Back
Top Bottom