*** Oculus Quest 2 Owners Thread ***

Soldato
Yeah I was looking at them, £250 over budget and out of stock everywhere. Would love one though.

Oculus a waste of time then?

No, the Oculus isn't a waste of time. It's great. But, if you are a serious sim gamer, the G2 is worth spending the money on.
What are the specs of your PC?

Yeah I was looking at them, £250 over budget and out of stock everywhere. Would love one though.

I play racing games pretty exclusively on it and they look amazing. Compared to how they looked in my CV1 this just blows it away.

Soldato

Definitely not a waste of time!. Sure for cockpit stuff the G2 has an edge but to totally write off the quest 2 as a PCVR device is utter crazy . I have both and sure whilst I will almost always use my G2 for cockpit stuff (because I can) the quest 2 is still capable and over all if I HAD to keep only 1 device it would probably be the quest 2 as I like most forms of VR.
I played racing games in my CV1 and never struggled..... And the quest 2 is a significant step up over the CV1. (I would say they quest 2 image quality is closer to the G2 than it is the CV1)

Soldato
No, the Oculus isn't a waste of time. It's great. But, if you are a serious sim gamer, the G2 is worth spending the money on.
What are the specs of your PC?

Yeah fairly serious sim racer, pc is 3700x 16gb ram RTX 2080ti, is the new oculus better than the s version I had?

Last edited:
Soldato
Yeah fairly serious sim racer, pc is 3700x 16gb ram RTX 2080ti, is the new oculus better than the s version I had?

Yeah, it's better. And your system should have no problem running it.
You will need a USB cable to connect to your computer. Some are good, some are bad. The Link Cable from Oculus themselves is great but expensive. Just make sure you ask here before buying one. Getting one that can recharge the battery while you play is important.

Don't get me wrong, the Quest 2 is amazing, and I love mine. But a lot of what it's really good at is wasted on Sim Racing. With the Reverb G2, it will be great for Sim Racing right now, but, it will get even better when you upgrade your GPU. I would ask advice in the Reverb G2 thread before settling for the Quest 2.

Soldato
Right I've cancelled the Oculus for now, think I'll wait for the G2 to come back into stock. I mainly play ACC which is a hog in VR. might as well get a new GPU while I'm at it:D

Associate
I got mine yesterday and I had a great 2/3 hours beat sabre session. Was great fun!

I could have gone on for longer but the battery just died on me, do you not get a notification in game? What is the general consensus on the best setup to use.

Virtual desktop or a direct link? i like the idea of it charging as you play, i could also leverage the power of my 3090 with games like ALYX. Is the cable that intrusive?

Thanks!

Soldato
I think the multiplier number is different for different framerate settings, but the resolutions are the same. That is the max resolution still.
Thanks for the response what do you mean the multiplier is different for different frame rate settings? You mean the refresh rate?
I dont get why others have a higher multiplier than me, the most i can get is 1.5 it seems.

Also I thought it was possible to use finger tracking with Pokerstars VR, any idea how to activate it?

Soldato
I got mine yesterday and I had a great 2/3 hours beat sabre session. Was great fun!

I could have gone on for longer but the battery just died on me, do you not get a notification in game? What is the general consensus on the best setup to use.

Virtual desktop or a direct link? i like the idea of it charging as you play, i could also leverage the power of my 3090 with games like ALYX. Is the cable that intrusive?

Thanks!

I have VD, no not that type, and a link cable. VD, no not that type, is great for short burst gaming but I had a few hours or so in Elite Dangerous today via a link cable where if on battery the headset would have died.

VR and ED go hand in hand, it’s a great VR experience.

Soldato
When my halo head strap arrives I am hoping I can attach my battery somehow and I was thinking super strong velcro. I have a good, smallish, 10000mAh power bank that I currently use in a pocket plugged in for extended wireless play.

Soldato
Folks... coming back to setting the resolution via the link cable....

So if I set it in the Oculus software does that mean doing it in games also multiplies it further?

Also I have been informed that the max resolution is a 1:1 to the original res of the Oculus Quest 2, why scale it back then if you dont run at 1:1?

Soldato

So if I set it in the Oculus software does that mean doing it in games also multiplies it further?

Also I have been informed that the max resolution is a 1:1 to the original res of the Oculus Quest 2, why scale it back then if you dont run at 1:1?

I still don't understand why yours doesn't go up to 1.7x. Have installed a few Quest 2's now and on all of them it's 1.7x.

The Render resolution is not super sampling. For games, the render resolution is the starting point. So if you apply SS in games, it's applied to whatever Render Resolution you have selected.

As for 1.7x been the native resolution, one of the Oculus developers explained it. Lots of technobabble. But it's basically down the barrel distortion curvature of the Lenses and needing a higher resolution to counter act it. See here.

https://twitter.com/volgaksoy/status/1328145529042137088

Soldato

This may be a bit of an explanation.

Back
Top Bottom