*** Oculus Quest 2 Owners Thread ***

Soldato
Yeah it's a great game! You play with a HOTAS? That plus vr really elevates it beyond on a screen with a controller!

Dual sticks for me. I bought a hotas and a stick, tried the hotas, tried the hotas as just a stick and second stick, decided that dual stick was better and picked up a second. In the end, with bargains all round, and reselling the hotas, I ended up spending about £5 for 2x thrustmaster t16000 sticks.

EDIT - Not played for a while though, been enjoying ME legendary edition too much. 2nd playthrough now, after that, maybe back to squadrons.

Associate
Dual sticks for me. I bought a hotas and a stick, tried the hotas, tried the hotas as just a stick and second stick, decided that dual stick was better and picked up a second. In the end, with bargains all round, and reselling the hotas, I ended up spending about £5 for 2x thrustmaster t16000 sticks.

EDIT - Not played for a while though, been enjoying ME legendary edition too much. 2nd playthrough now, after that, maybe back to squadrons.
Oooh cool! Probably even more immersive for Squadrons with dual sticks then!! I haven't played for ages either, not since they added the B-wing and Tie Defender so excited to try them out.
Yeah I love Mass effect but not wanting to pay full price for remasters of games I've played MANY times before haha

Soldato
You get almost all the DLC (think just one is missing), I got it from cdkeys for £25. Can't argue with that.

Currently house hunting, and trying to always keep in mind space for VR :D.

Associate
Xbox controller, that's a top vr game, I prefer it to that Tomb Raider Star Wars game, can't recall the name ?
Oh wow do yourself a favour and try and get yourself a cheap HOTAS, it changes the feel of it entirely! And then try and play Flight Sim with it as well, a fantastic experience!
Ah you're referring to Jedi Fallen Order which I also love, honestly EA have been on a roll with their star wars games lately which I can't believe I'm saying haha

Permabanned
Oh wow do yourself a favour and try and get yourself a cheap HOTAS, it changes the feel of it entirely! And then try and play Flight Sim with it as well, a fantastic experience!
Ah you're referring to Jedi Fallen Order which I also love, honestly EA have been on a roll with their star wars games lately which I can't believe I'm saying haha

Ok, I'll look into a HOTAS, but squadron is better than Fallen Order to me, the last 2 stages of the Fallen Order are great, that's how I'd like the game to be. I just felt too much Tomb Raider filler stuff was in the earlier parts.

What HOTAS would you vouch for?

Associate
Ok, I'll look into a HOTAS, but squadron is better than Fallen Order to me, the last 2 stages of the Fallen Order are great, that's how I'd like the game to be. I just felt too much Tomb Raider filler stuff was in the earlier parts.

What HOTAS would you vouch for?
Fair enough, I enjoyed the whole thing but I understand why you'd like the last stages the best!
I have the Thrustmaster T.Flight HOTAS X personally and that serves me very well in Squadrons and Flight Sim! You can definitely spend way more on a HOTAS but I'm not sure you need to unless you're going to become a hardcore sim player. If you get one I hope you love playing Squadrons with it :)

Permabanned
Fair enough, I enjoyed the whole thing but I understand why you'd like the last stages the best!
I have the Thrustmaster T.Flight HOTAS X personally and that serves me very well in Squadrons and Flight Sim! You can definitely spend way more on a HOTAS but I'm not sure you need to unless you're going to become a hardcore sim player. If you get one I hope you love playing Squadrons with it :)

Does the T.Flight HOTAS X work with other games in VR? Is it responsive? Is it a pain to setup? :p

Associate
Does the T.Flight HOTAS X work with other games in VR? Is it responsive? Is it a pain to setup? :p
I've only tried it with Flight Sim 2020 and Squadrons tbh and I did have to do some tweaking for Squadrons but I believe everyone does to some degree. Didn't have to tweak much for flight sim but again took a while to get used to where all the buttons were and what I was doing but that's more me not being used to using a HOTAS and flight sim controls. I'll say it's harder learning in vr because obviously you can't see all the buttons haha but once you're used to it it becomes very intuitive and immersive!!
So for your last question I'd say it does take some setup but is very worth it :)

Permabanned
I've only tried it with Flight Sim 2020 and Squadrons tbh and I did have to do some tweaking for Squadrons but I believe everyone does to some degree. Didn't have to tweak much for flight sim but again took a while to get used to where all the buttons were and what I was doing but that's more me not being used to using a HOTAS and flight sim controls. I'll say it's harder learning in vr because obviously you can't see all the buttons haha but once you're used to it it becomes very intuitive and immersive!!
So for your last question I'd say it does take some setup but is very worth it :)

Thanks , sounds like your enjoying the HOTAS VR setup

Associate
Thanks , sounds like your enjoying the HOTAS VR setup
Just fired Squadrons back up again for the first time in months while everyone else was watching footie haha even after months away I got back into the swing of things with the HOTAS nice and quickly and LOVE the B-wing and Tie Defender! So would highly recommend still

Permabanned
Just fired Squadrons back up again for the first time in months while everyone else was watching footie haha even after months away I got back into the swing of things with the HOTAS nice and quickly and LOVE the B-wing and Tie Defender! So would highly recommend still

I like how the vr let's you see the full cockpit, vr in that game gives more than 4k

Associate
I like how the vr let's you see the full cockpit, vr in that game gives more than 4k
Yeah it's incredibly immersive being able to sit in the cockpits and actually look around! It does help that they're very detailed and the Quest 2 is a pretty huge resolution bump over my Rift S that I was using while playing it before! And being able to view the ships in the hanger you get a real sense of scale for them in vr vs a flat screen

Soldato
That sense of scale was a huge thing for me. It does make me pine for a freespace 2 VR mod though. That game took sense of scale in space battles to a new level. Command ships that took minutes to fly the length of, huge battles with beam weapons that were larger than your ship, and could disintegrate you in a second, and yet still balanced enough (probably through some basic trickery) to make it feel like your actions had a huge impact on the outcome of the battle.

Soldato
That sense of scale was a huge thing for me. It does make me pine for a freespace 2 VR mod though. That game took sense of scale in space battles to a new level. Command ships that took minutes to fly the length of, huge battles with beam weapons that were larger than your ship, and could disintegrate you in a second, and yet still balanced enough (probably through some basic trickery) to make it feel like your actions had a huge impact on the outcome of the battle.

The reason the ships seemed big was in reality your spaceship's speed was about 30mph! But it did have an enormous sense of scale. You felt like a minnow compared to the capital ships knocking chunks out of eachother.

Soldato
The reason the ships seemed big was in reality your spaceship's speed was about 30mph! But it did have an enormous sense of scale. You felt like a minnow compared to the capital ships knocking chunks out of eachother.

Yeah I know, but even so, it was impressive. Memories have stuck with me for ages. Chasing an enemy fighter then suddenly them getting vapourised by a beam that you have to dodge.

Soldato
Went round another couples' house for a barbecue last night. The boyfriend is a gamer and had an Occulus Quest 2. Let me try it as I've been curious about VR but not experienced it yet.

First thing I did this morning was go out and buy one myself :D Really is an amazing experience. I've spent the last hour and a half in my living room playing PistolWhip. I only stopped because the battery ran out and it shut down mid level.

I'm dripping with sweat, so I'm hoping that an added bonus is that I might lose a bit of beef while gaming now :D

Any suggestions for essential games? As well as having Pistolwhip, I've got SuperHot and BeatSabre on my list to try. Interested to see if there's anything else I shouldn't miss.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom