*** Oculus Quest 2 Owners Thread ***

Associate
Depends if your Quest has been turned off - on turning mine on during the outage resulted in no apps being available. I imagine if your quest is just in standby then that'd be ok, but mine obviously failed some DRM check on boot.
Ah I see, not great and might prompt them to rethink the Facebook logon if enough people complain about this......but I doubt it haha

Soldato
well after 20 mins of trying, its finally booted up, fingers crossed !!!

Had it had a recent update? Mine borked after the most recent one, and I was only able to access the settings in the menu... no apps, no alternative home rooms. Took a number of reboots before it started working properly again.

Last edited:
Underboss
no updates for ages

my headset is a little odd, i have the VR cover facial interface, and if i move my headstrap slightly sometimes its enough for it to go "standby" when you pull your eyes away from the screens , and also going outside the stationary guardian on and off seems to throw a wobbly

im back working again now PHEW

Soldato
Would the quest 2 be the best option for getting into VR? The oculus is the only brand I've even heard of and the kids are bugging me to get VR! I take it that its PC only or can it be used on xbox one/series x also?

Soldato
Quest 2 is imo definitely the best entry into vr.....

It is a stand alone headset with no other hardware needed but it can also hook up to a gaming pc for pcvr too (either wireless if you have good WiFi or wired via usb3).

Xbox console does not support VR and playstation does support VR but that uses its one dedicated vr headset. PSVR is not a terrible entry into VR if you already have a PS4 or ps5 however personally I think quest 2 is better. Be aware you do need a Facebook account which puts some folk off

For PC VR you need a semi decent gaming PC. For quest 2 I would say ideally gtx 1070 performance minimum or better. (It will work with less but I would say at that point you are generally better sticking with the onboard compute in stand alone mode)

Soldato
Would the quest 2 be the best option for getting into VR? The oculus is the only brand I've even heard of and the kids are bugging me to get VR! I take it that its PC only or can it be used on xbox one/series x also?

Quest 2 is definitely the best current option. Maybe hold off for a short while since there's potential for a few VR announcements by the end of the month. So if it's for christmas, it's definitely worth waiting.

Q2 is standalone, which is really nice for kids too, since it basically means you can still use the PC :D. And it can be played anywhere.

Soldato
Quest 2 is definitely the best current option. Maybe hold off for a short while since there's potential for a few VR announcements by the end of the month. So if it's for christmas, it's definitely worth waiting.

Q2 is standalone, which is really nice for kids too, since it basically means you can still use the PC :D. And it can be played anywhere.
Ideally for xmas yes, how is the game library for the standalone? I saw a while back some guy fighting a skeleton with a sword and shield which looked really awesome and set the kids off on the path of wanting a VR set, that plus various arcade experiences! I take it the oculus just works with any steam game VR versions you might have? Out of interest what's the deal with requiring a facebook profile to use it?

Associate
Ideally for xmas yes, how is the game library for the standalone? I saw a while back some guy fighting a skeleton with a sword and shield which looked really awesome and set the kids off on the path of wanting a VR set, that plus various arcade experiences! I take it the oculus just works with any steam game VR versions you might have? Out of interest what's the deal with requiring a facebook profile to use it?

Yeah you can play PC Steam VR games on your Quest 2 wirelessly via Airlink/Virtual Desktop or wired with a link cable.

There are lots of decent native standalone games too.

Back
Top Bottom