*** Oculus Quest 2 Owners Thread ***

Soldato
Is there something I can do to fix the somewhat blurry visuals? Be it native, Airlink / VD or cable I can never get a sharp picture. As an example Half Life: Alyx. When I look at my gun it's a little blurry and the instruments on my glove are the same. I've increased resolution via Oculus app and I've increased the bitrate when using a cable but sadly nothing seems to help.

Alyx is supposedly very good with optimization, but the 2070 is not going to be able to drive a really high quality experience. Should be a good one though. It's also going to be effected by the quality of the decoding on the headset. I find the VD presets pretty useful most the time, what do you haev it on?

Associate
Is there something I can do to fix the somewhat blurry visuals? Be it native, Airlink / VD or cable I can never get a sharp picture. As an example Half Life: Alyx. When I look at my gun it's a little blurry and the instruments on my glove are the same. I've increased resolution via Oculus app and I've increased the bitrate when using a cable but sadly nothing seems to help.
Alyx has something called dynamic resolution, the game automatically changes your resolution to suit the power of your pc meaning it may turn blurry if it thinks it's best for the performance of the game, but you can disable this by adding this line to the games launch options :

-console -vconsole +vr_fidelity_level_auto 0 +vr_fidelity_level 3

Last edited:
Associate

Make sure the eye spacers are the correct distance apart for your eyes, and try and get used to keeping your eyes centred and looking with your entire head. There's only a small sweet spot for focus.

However there will always be a bit of blurriness, you're not going to get crystal clear sharp visuals like a desktop monitor.

Soldato
Getting the eye spacing right is one of my few bugbears; My IPD is 64 so it's just off the middle one but guestimating where that is by pushing just off the middle is a pain as it invariably moves at some point. They really needed to have more settings to accommodate the wide variety of distances.

Soldato
Getting the eye spacing right is one of my few bugbears; My IPD is 64 so it's just off the middle one but guestimating where that is by pushing just off the middle is a pain as it invariably moves at some point. They really needed to have more settings to accommodate the wide variety of distances.

There are 3D printed spacers available that can lock the Q2 IPD setting to something other than three defaults. The size pictured expands the IPD beyond the normal range.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4627924

Soldato
My GPU is struggling in flight sim today. The 40fps its reading on display just felt so jerky, Im obviously getting reprojection or something. I have settings on roughly medium but I don't want to sacrifice sharpness if I can help it. Its making the experience difficult to enjoy - there is so much potential there for this game to look amazing but my 3070 can't deal with it.

Soldato
There are 3D printed spacers available that can lock the Q2 IPD setting to something other than three defaults. The size pictured expands the IPD beyond the normal range.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4627924
Thanks. I have prescription inserts so don't think that particular one would work and neither of the links on the page work anymore either. I'm sure there are probably similar items on there so will take a look later.

Soldato
I haven’t used my Quest 2 a great deal. Really rate it and enjoy using it but busy life means it’s not played daily or even weekly. Anyway, what I’m getting at is it hasn’t had much physical use but picked up the official case by its handle the other day and it just came cleanly off. Looks like it’s sort of snapped/torn cleanly out of the top of the case.

Is this a common issue and if so is there any kind of replacement process? I like the aesthetic of the case but it’s really badly designed from a longevity view point.

Soldato
My GPU is struggling in flight sim today. The 40fps its reading on display just felt so jerky, Im obviously getting reprojection or something. I have settings on roughly medium but I don't want to sacrifice sharpness if I can help it. Its making the experience difficult to enjoy - there is so much potential there for this game to look amazing but my 3070 can't deal with it.
i read to take down all shadows and reflections to probably minimum but to keep the detail higher , that improves the experience.

Last edited:
Associate
Having a few stuck pixels on a previous Quest 2 which was replaced, I am having a issue with a red dot sometimes on the present headset in the left lens., exiting the app that I am in, takes me back to the home environment, and the red dot is still there.

Luckily a restart of the Quest fixes this until it happens again. Anyone else experienced the same thing?

Soldato
Having a few stuck pixels on a previous Quest 2 which was replaced, I am having a issue with a red dot sometimes on the present headset in the left lens., exiting the app that I am in, takes me back to the home environment, and the red dot is still there.

Luckily a restart of the Quest fixes this until it happens again. Anyone else experienced the same thing?
That shows it's recording. You must be activating the recording or casting option.

Soldato
Ha! you just had me questioning myself. Had a look and there's the red circle in the top right of both 'screens'
As you know it can be turned off during recording if you don't like it.

Associate
The recording dot is present in both lenses, so I think this maybe a different issue.
Just manually activated the cast option and the red dot seems very similar to the problem I thought I had.
So hopefully it was the casting option I had activated, but I don't remember doing so, don't think there is any any shortcut way to do so, is there? it does require a few steps.

Soldato
Hi all just trying to optimise quest 2 for new 7900 xt GPU via link.

When I enter link, I only get the white grid void place, not oculus link home environment any more. Anyone know what's gone wrong?

But, the grid is crystal sharp and the view of pc desktop in front of me is stable, sharp and clear.

However when I enter MSFS the grid void place becomes poor quality, shimmering and lower resolution. The MSFS game window (the settings/start up window) appears to be poorer quality than the oculus link desktop window.

Soldato
Trying to methodically test some settings out.

Testing encoding with Aircar.

1.2 render resolution in Oculus app, and 1.2 also set in the game with all settings on max. Im getting an easy 80 fps with 50% performance headroom.

H264. Bit rates as low as 20-50 are noticeable in the headset. Above 100 the gain is very small and I can't perceive any difference really above 150-200.

I switch to H265 and reboot. Its unplayable, screen tearing all over the place, stuttering. Screen basically torn in half is what Im seeing. Tried bitrates from 20 to 200, makes no difference.

H265 is supposed to be a newer, more efficient encoding, and 'meant' to be better on AMD cards. Can anyone help with why H265 is not working on my set up?

Soldato
Trying to methodically test some settings out.

Testing encoding with Aircar.

1.2 render resolution in Oculus app, and 1.2 also set in the game with all settings on max. Im getting an easy 80 fps with 50% performance headroom.

H264. Bit rates as low as 20-50 are noticeable in the headset. Above 100 the gain is very small and I can't perceive any difference really above 150-200.

I switch to H265 and reboot. Its unplayable, screen tearing all over the place, stuttering. Screen basically torn in half is what Im seeing. Tried bitrates from 20 to 200, makes no difference.

H265 is supposed to be a newer, more efficient encoding, and 'meant' to be better on AMD cards. Can anyone help with why H265 is not working on my set up?

Just to answer a question you had in your previous post. There is no home environment anymore. Meta are going to replace it with something else. Not sure what.

About H.265. How are you switching to H.265?

Have you got the latest drivers from AMD? The ones with the VR Fix?

Have you changed any settings in the Oculus Debug tool?

Back
Top Bottom