*** Oculus Quest 2 Owners Thread ***

Soldato

Quite a reasonable cost especially if you pay for it annually as it’s only £5 a month. I could be tempted by that provided the monthly games are decent titles and not shovelware.

Unfortunately I worry it might go the same way as ps+ . it used to be a decent service but since Sony have added more expensive option tiers now the basic tier has turned into garbage now they have more expensive subscription options!

As others on here have said having owned a quest since the original launched I have quite a large games library so I suspect I’ll already own many of the titles they offer. That would somewhat reduce the value proposition if it turns out to be the case.

Last edited:
Associate
I'm still looking into Airlink options and I'm a little lost / stupid. My main Virgin Media Hub is sitting next to my PC and that is plugged into my PC via ethernet. I only have the one LAN port on my computer so how would I go about using a dedicated router for my Quest 2? I was looking at a Wi-Fi 6 USB dongle and using my PC as an access point but would my router cause interference?

Soldato
I'm still looking into Airlink options and I'm a little lost / stupid. My main Virgin Media Hub is sitting next to my PC and that is plugged into my PC via ethernet. I only have the one LAN port on my computer so how would I go about using a dedicated router for my Quest 2? I was looking at a Wi-Fi 6 USB dongle and using my PC as an access point but would my router cause interference?

That should be fine for the quest 2. What model of the Hub is it? The connection between your PC and the Router needs to be a gigabit connection. If you tell me what model of the hub it is, I should be able to find out. Also check the network cable between your computer and the hub. See does it say CAT 5e or Cat 5 on it.

Last edited:
Associate
That should be fine for the quest 2. What model of the Hub is it? The connection between your PC and the Router needs to be a gigabit connection. If you tell me what model of the hub it is, I should be able to fine out. Also check the network cable between your computer and the hub. See does it say CAT 5e or Cat 5 on it.

It's a Hub 3, it's rather terrible. Cable says CAT 5e.

Soldato
It's a Hub 3, it's rather terrible. Cable says CAT 5e.

Virgin Media hubs have a terrible tendency to connect at 2.4Ghz at all times. When you go to connect the Quest 2 to the hub are you given a 2.4Ghz network and 5Ghz network as options or do you just see one option to connect to? The hubs normally default at one option and then it decides what speed your device connects at.

What you should do is go into the settings in your Virgin MediaHub. Go into the Advanced settings, wireless, then into the security settings. There should be a 2.4Ghz section and a 5Ghz section. In each section there will be a Wifi network name (SSID) that you can change. What I would do is add 2g top the name that's already there in the 2.4Ghz section and add 5g to the name that's already there in the 5Ghz section .I would also change the password of the 5Ghz section to something different. Then apply changes. When you apply the changes try connecting your Quest 2 again. This time connect to the 5Ghz network (the one ending in 5g)

You will have to reconnect your other wifi devices like phone etc. I suggest you connect them to the 2.4Ghz network(the one ending in 2g)

If this sounds complicated, don't worry, it's pretty easy. I can find some kind of video guide and link it if you need help.

Last edited:
Associate
Virgin Media hubs have a terrible tendency to connect at 2.4Ghz at all times. When you go to connect the Quest 2 to the hub are you given a 2.4Ghz network and 5Ghz network as options or do you just see one option to connect to? The hubs normally default at one option and then it decides what speed your device connects at.

What you should do is go into the settings in your Virgin MediaHub. Go into the Advanced settings, wireless, then into the security settings. There should be a 2.4Ghz section and a 5Ghz section. In each section there will be a Wifi network name (SSID) that you can change. What I would do is add 2g top the name that's already there in the 2.4Ghz section and add 5g to the name that's already there in the 5Ghz section .I would also change the password of the 5Ghz section to something different. Then apply changes. When you apply the changes try connecting your Quest 2 again. This time connect to the 5Ghz network (the one ending in 5g)

You will have to reconnect your other wifi devices like phone etc. I suggest you connect them to the 2.4Ghz network(the one ending in 2g)

If this sounds complicated, don't worry, it's pretty easy. I can find some kind of video guide and link it if you need help.

I've just done that. After connecting to the 5G sadly the image and latency is pretty terrible. There are staggered black parts to the screen, as if it can't keep up. I feel like a better router is needed.

Last edited:
Soldato
I've just done that. After connecting to the 5G sadly the image and latency is pretty terrible. There are staggered black parts to the screen, as if it can't keep up. I feel like a better router is needed.

Just asking do you know what version of the Oculus Software you are on?

Have you changed anything in the Oculus debug tool?

Have you tried Virtual desktop?

EDIT: one more thing to check on the router. Make sure the channel width is set to 20/40/80Mhz. Sometimes it defaults to 20/40.

Last edited:
Associate
I assume I'm on the latest software and I've not touched the debug tool. I've heard of Virtual Desktop. Could that be better by any chance?

Soldato
I assume I'm on the latest software and I've not touched the debug tool. I've heard of Virtual Desktop. Could that be better by any chance?

Did you check the channel width on the hub? Just to be sure.

There is a problem at the moment with Airlink and the Current version of the Oculus software. Same sort of symptoms as to what you are getting. You could try Virtual desktop, If it works, then you know your problem is the Oculus software. If it doesn't work, then you know the problem is the hub. This will take less than two hours and you could return it and get your money back afterwards. Or keep it. Just make sure you buy it on the Quest 2.

Associate
Just had my first taster of augmented reality (though black and white passthrough) on the Quest 2. I have got the Tribe dj music making game.

Even with a black and white passthrough it seems a pleasant enough experience and what is possible with AR.

I can see good things ahead with AR.

Associate
melmac has given you some great info there. can u also check 1 thing for me please? what is the bitrate for airlink set at in the oculus debug tool? it if you've been using your Q2 wired it might be 500 Mbps and the Q2 can't do that wirelessly, set it to a max of 200.

Associate
Did you check the channel width on the hub? Just to be sure.

There is a problem at the moment with Airlink and the Current version of the Oculus software. Same sort of symptoms as to what you are getting. You could try Virtual desktop, If it works, then you know your problem is the Oculus software. If it doesn't work, then you know the problem is the hub. This will take less than two hours and you could return it and get your money back afterwards. Or keep it. Just make sure you buy it on the Quest 2.

The channel width is as you've suggested. So, Virtual Desktop seems to be the key. I've just run a game of Pistol Whip and it's perfectly playable and according to the app my latency is between 8 - 50 while playing a game. That's with me standing next to the router in the same room. I'll try another room next. Thank you for the help.

melmac has given you some great info there. can u also check 1 thing for me please? what is the bitrate for airlink set at in the oculus debug tool? it if you've been using your Q2 wired it might be 500 Mbps and the Q2 can't do that wirelessly, set it to a max of 200.

It's currently at 0. I'll try setting it to 200.

Soldato
The channel width is as you've suggested. So, Virtual Desktop seems to be the key. I've just run a game of Pistol Whip and it's perfectly playable and according to the app my latency is between 8 - 50 while playing a game. That's with me standing next to the router in the same room. I'll try another room next. Thank you for the help.

It's currently at 0. I'll try setting it to 200.

Leave it at 0 in the debug tool. Make the changes to the bitrate in the Oculus app itself when you start Airlink. The changes you make in the debug tool have no affect in Virtual desktop.

From what you are saying, it looks like you are having the same airlink issue as some other people on the Current Oculus software. If you haven't changed any settings in Virtual desktop, it's probably automatically changing the bitrate on the fly. You can fine tune things by turning off the automatic bitrate option and making changes yourself. I don't know if you plan to return virtual desktop or not. But it's a great program and will worth the price. There are some games it runs better than Airlink and some situations where it's way better than Airlink, like if you have an AMD GPU.

Associate
Leave it at 0 in the debug tool. Make the changes to the bitrate in the Oculus app itself when you start Airlink. The changes you make in the debug tool have no affect in Virtual desktop.

From what you are saying, it looks like you are having the same airlink issue as some other people on the Current Oculus software. If you haven't changed any settings in Virtual desktop, it's probably automatically changing the bitrate on the fly. You can fine tune things by turning off the automatic bitrate option and making changes yourself. I don't know if you plan to return virtual desktop or not. But it's a great program and will worth the price. There are some games it runs better than Airlink and some situations where it's way better than Airlink, like if you have an AMD GPU.

I fully intend to stick with Virtual Desktop, it runs great and saves me having to buy a router. Airlink is unplayable for me. The difference is night and day. Again, thank you.

Last edited:
Soldato
I fully intend to stick with Virtual Desktop, it runs great and saves me having to buy a router. Airlink is unplayable for me. The difference is night and day. Again, thank you.

Glad it's sorted and you have saved a few quid too :) Don't write off Airlink though, in some games it looks way better than Virtual desktop. When your headset receives the next update, give it a go again. I regularly switch between the two based on the games I am playing.

Associate
Glad it's sorted and you have saved a few quid too :) Don't write off Airlink though, in some games it looks way better than Virtual desktop. When your headset receives the next update, give it a go again. I regularly switch between the two based on the games I am playing.

With Airlink I didn't even get into a game. I turned it on and couldn't even hit the desktop button.

Soldato
With Airlink I didn't even get into a game. I turned it on and couldn't even hit the desktop button.

That's only because they messed it up with the latest update for some people. The problem has been fixed already and when the roll out the next update, Airlink should be back to normal. It's already been confirmed as fixed by people who have tried out the test version.

Associate
Is there something I can do to fix the somewhat blurry visuals? Be it native, Airlink / VD or cable I can never get a sharp picture. As an example Half Life: Alyx. When I look at my gun it's a little blurry and the instruments on my glove are the same. I've increased resolution via Oculus app and I've increased the bitrate when using a cable but sadly nothing seems to help.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom