*** Oculus Quest 2 Owners Thread ***

Soldato
It the Oculus version and yes am starting it from the Game TAB

It got be started from the game tab as it not available as Quest software..

I know it's not on the Quest. But, do you know you can start the Oculus PC software and Steam VR from inside virtual desktop?

The reason I asked was it the Oculus Version or the Steam Version is that Steam sometimes defaults to theatre mode when starting some VR games/experiences. It's exactly what you describe, a big 2D screen.

And No, you don't need the Sidequest App anymore for Virtual Desktop. But, SideQuest might be worth installing and trying out anyway as there are some nice games/experiences available.

Soldato
I know it's not on the Quest. But, do you know you can start the Oculus PC software and Steam VR from inside virtual desktop?
Yes am starting it from inside the virtual desktop

I got no idea why it not working like it should..

I notice you can't enable Rift mode even when it connected by wireless it says no cable connected

Soldato
Yes am starting it from inside the virtual desktop

I got no idea why it not working like it should..

I notice you can't enable Rift mode even when it connected by wireless it says no cable connected

Ok, just did a quick search of through Virtual Desktop experiences and there are some people who can't get Google Earth to work with Virtual Desktop when using the Oculus Version. But it works fine in Steam for nearly everyone. So give the Steam Version of Google Earth a try.

Did you try another PCVR game to test Virtual Desktop or Just Google Earth?

Soldato
Ok, just did a quick search of through Virtual Desktop experiences and there are some people who can't get Google Earth to work with Virtual Desktop when using the Oculus Version. But it works fine in Steam for nearly everyone. So give the Steam Version of Google Earth a try.

Did you try another PCVR game to test Virtual Desktop or Just Google Earth?
Just Google earth i haven't tried anything else yet

I give the steam version a try

Soldato
Steam Version works fine for me.

Virtual Desktop is great, I think you should try some more games/experiences before writing it off.

Yep.. I said the same as melmac earlier. Use the Steam version, its great.

VD is not perfect, but its a great step in the right direction....

Want to give HL Alyx a try tonight.

FPS games and VD is a must...

Soldato
Steam Version works fine for me.

Virtual Desktop is great, I think you should try some more games/experiences before writing it off.
Yep.. I said the same as melmac earlier. Use the Steam version, its great.

VD is not perfect, but its a great step in the right direction....

Want to give HL Alyx a try tonight.

FPS games and VD is a must...
Thanks guys the steam version working great :)

Think i give it a day or 2 before i try HL Alyx as i have a bit of a headache now from either the stock strap or face foam

I really can't wear this thing for long before it get too uncomfortable

Last edited:
Associate

Got it too tight?

Adjust the top strap so it sits in the vertical sweet spot and takes the weight. Adjust the back strap so it doesn't flop about when you move your head. Doesn't need to be clamped on like a facehugger. Or eat lots of pies to soften your natural face gasket.

Going back to your earlier issue, you can get different results using VD, launching from the oculus app or going through steamVR. Examples - PCars 2 I get no sound if launched from the app. Fine in VD or started through the steam home thing. Bridge crew and saints and sinners default to vive wand controls unless I use VD. These are probably solvable but I go with easy.

Soldato

Think i give it a day or 2 before i try HL Alyx as i have a bit of a headache now from either the stock strap or face foam

Google Earth is pretty cool in VR.

If you are having a bit of headache, are you sure you set your IPD right? What is your IPD? Another thing that could be causing you issues is that you might be allergic to the Stock foam. There is a thread here about getting a replacement for free from Oculus. But, in my experience, the stock foam of all the headsets isn't great and if you want get decent comfort levels you should think about replacing it.

Are you using the Stock strap? Or did you buy a different one? If it's the stock strap, make sure the top strap is taking the weight of the headset. Don't overtighten the back strap. It's like @newuser said above, it doesn't need to be clamped tight like a facehugger. :)

Again, the stock strap is probably something you will end up replacing. There are some DIY mods you can do on the Stock strap. IF you google "Head Strap Foam Pad for Oculus Quest 2" that should give you some ideas. Or you can buy something ready made from VR Cover. Of course the other option is to buy another headstrap like the Elite One from Oculus.

Soldato
No worries bud, melmac is the resident Q2 expert, all I know about Q2 and VD comes from him (and other members on here)! :)

Resident Q2 Expert, haha, no way :) All I am doing is sharing what I have learned from trying things out myself. I would definitely be double and triple checking any advice I give :p

But thank you Padawan.:D

Associate

Yeah the strap the Quest 2 comes with is not very comfortable at all. I ordered a new strap off Amazon for about £30 that has padding and a dial on the back for tightening/loosening. Highly recommended.

Soldato
New features incoming

Guardian intrusion detection
- when something invades your guardian boundary you will be notified in some way :cool:
Desk tracking - map a desk/table into VR

Associate
so got VD working great, launches my steam games no problem at all and my oculus from the VD games menu. Apart from thrill of the fight! everytime i launch it just says unable to launch title. if i launch via steam inside vd it works..... just not from games menu. any ideas?

Soldato
Tried Alyx for first time, had to buy Virtual Desktop and set it up but was pretty straight forward. It's completely blown my mind and kind of ruined all other VR games for me.

Soldato
so got VD working great, launches my steam games no problem at all and my oculus from the VD games menu. Apart from thrill of the fight! everytime i launch it just says unable to launch title. if i launch via steam inside vd it works..... just not from games menu. any ideas?

Probably better off asking on the VD Discord (the dev is on most days) :)

Soldato
Tried Alyx for first time, had to buy Virtual Desktop and set it up but was pretty straight forward. It's completely blown my mind and kind of ruined all other VR games for me.

Just got my quest few days ago it's brilliant, so you only need virtual desktop? plus easy to setup wireless too?

Hope my specs play Alyx well as i got that too. xD

Soldato
Back
Top Bottom