*** Oculus Quest 2 Owners Thread ***

Soldato
Squadrons seems really weirdly optimised. Even on a 3090 I have performance issues sometimes.
The main thing is to turn down all the settings for the 2D mode, as for some reason the 2D and VR renders are completely separate, so it's effectively rendering the game twice, instead of just copying the pre-warped VR image from one eye, which what most VR games do.

If your game is showing 45fps then you're actually reprojecting, as the headset is halving the framerate and interpolating the frames. The Oculus version is called 'Asynchronous Timewarp' and it actually works very well, but you may notice some visual artefacts.

For flight and space sims I'm using an X52 Pro.

Thanks for the insights bud. I didnt know that the rendering was done separately on the screen, always assumed that it was a mirror image like other VR games. Quite poor really.

How are you measuring fps and what headset you got?

Im simply using ODT to measure. I have a 3080 and 10900KF, so not a bad system... but I do noticed the cross hair ghosting a little which I think is the reprojection you are refeerring to?

Anything else I can do to combat this?

Soldato
Thanks for the insights bud. I didnt know that the rendering was done separately on the screen, always assumed that it was a mirror image like other VR games. Quite poor really.

How are you measuring fps and what headset you got?

Im simply using ODT to measure. I have a 3080 and 10900KF, so not a bad system... but I do noticed the cross hair ghosting a little which I think is the reprojection you are refeerring to?

Anything else I can do to combat this?

I'm using an Index for PC VR (I also have a Quest 2, but its mostly used for native games).

For Steam VR headsets theres a paid program called FPS VR, which does all sorts of performance tracking, and attaches a diagnostic display to one of the controllers. This allows you to see the CPU and GPU load, frametimes, framerates, temps and other interesting data, so you can work out how a game is doing and how any quality adjustments are affecting the game's performance.

I'm not sure if that works on Oculus headsets, but Oculus provide the Oculus Debug Tool which provides a HUD with similar info which you should be able to find in the Oculus Home software install folder.

Another thing to check is to make sure that in Steam VR that you're not setting more than 100% super sampling in both the global settings and the individual app settings, as these are cumulative! I was wondering why I was getting poor performance when I realised my supersampling wasn't 150%, it was 225%!
For Oculus Link, set your Steam VR SS to 100%, and let the Oculus Quality settings handle the resolution, as the SteamVR supersampling will stack with that too.

Associate
I use a Quest 2. Depending on the game I use FPSVR (works fine on Q2) or ODT. My version of Squadrons is from the epic store and I think I used ODT.

As above, 2D game settings at min. In Oculus app I have the rendering or whatever it is called at 1.2 (2070 Super). Steam games are set to 100% as the steam setting stacks on top of that Oculus setting.

Then I adjust the in game settings until I get decent visuals and performance.

Associate
I've had great success playing HL: Alyx wirelessly with Virtual Desktop. 5Ghz wired extender in the same room.
I only have wifi5. Whilst it ran really nicely over wifi with virtual desktop graphically, the latency over wifi6 made me sick. I'm sensitive to motion sickness anyway so I don't know if I'd have had the same issue with wifi6. I decided just to go wired and refund VD.

Soldato
I'm using an Index for PC VR (I also have a Quest 2, but its mostly used for native games).

For Steam VR headsets theres a paid program called FPS VR, which does all sorts of performance tracking, and attaches a diagnostic display to one of the controllers. This allows you to see the CPU and GPU load, frametimes, framerates, temps and other interesting data, so you can work out how a game is doing and how any quality adjustments are affecting the game's performance.

I'm not sure if that works on Oculus headsets, but Oculus provide the Oculus Debug Tool which provides a HUD with similar info which you should be able to find in the Oculus Home software install folder.

Another thing to check is to make sure that in Steam VR that you're not setting more than 100% super sampling in both the global settings and the individual app settings, as these are cumulative! I was wondering why I was getting poor performance when I realised my supersampling wasn't 150%, it was 225%!
For Oculus Link, set your Steam VR SS to 100%, and let the Oculus Quality settings handle the resolution, as the SteamVR supersampling will stack with that too.

Thanks for your explanation bud.
Does FPS VR give a different FPS reading to say that of ODT? (I guess ODT only gives either 45hz or 90hz due to the whole reprojection/Asynchronous thing.

My Oculus App is set to the maximum 1.7x (5XXX x 27XX) which is what I understand as the standard resolution 1:1 of the Quest 2 @ 90Hz.

Steam VR is set to 100% for sure... but I didnt understand what you mean by the "let oculus setting handle the resolution... " do you mean the oculus app to automatically set the resolution rather than me forcing it to 1.7x?

I use a Quest 2. Depending on the game I use FPSVR (works fine on Q2) or ODT. My version of Squadrons is from the epic store and I think I used ODT.

As above, 2D game settings at min. In Oculus app I have the rendering or whatever it is called at 1.2 (2070 Super). Steam games are set to 100% as the steam setting stacks on top of that Oculus setting.

Then I adjust the in game settings until I get decent visuals and performance.

I didnt realise the game was also available on the Epic store... blimey.
Do you see much difference between FPSVR and ODT? Which is better?

I was wondering with a 3080 I would be able to run this max with everything on ultra but it doesnt seem like it. I mean the game runs smooth but as mentioned above I do see some of the "reprojection" kicking in (noticeable from the cross hairs displaying twice as I move my ship around..).

I can see you have set your Oculus app to 1.2 so I guess that makes sense in context of my setting of 1.7. What setting on VR do you set it too?

Is there anyway to disable the onscreen rendering as it seems to eat resources also...

Associate
I do t recall what my in game settings are, but 1.7 is your problem. Nothing, not even a 3090 can run at 1.7. A 2700 Super can do 1.2, a 2080ti can do 1.3, 1.4 at a push, and you are looking at about 1.5 with a 3080.

You can improve visuals a bit by bumping up the bit rate in the debug tool from 125 to 200, maybe as high as 250, before you start running into performance issues. But definitely get back down from 1.7.

Soldato
I do t recall what my in game settings are, but 1.7 is your problem. Nothing, not even a 3090 can run at 1.7. A 2700 Super can do 1.2, a 2080ti can do 1.3, 1.4 at a push, and you are looking at about 1.5 with a 3080.

You can improve visuals a bit by bumping up the bit rate in the debug tool from 125 to 200, maybe as high as 250, before you start running into performance issues. But definitely get back down from 1.7.

Thanks for the input zero. Im surprised that you say 1.7 is my problem since thats what I am playing most games these days and a lot of people online seem to be running 1.7x in other games (with 3080/3090) since this is the "standard" 1:1 resolution, am I mistake (rather than oversampling).

Or are you just speaking solely about Squadrons?

I have my bit rate at 200 in the ODT, I did bump it to 250 at one point but the visual advantages are minimal.

Associate
Yeah. I know it's not native. But nothing can really run the Q2 or G2 at native. You need to run below native to get decent performance. If you are able to get most games running at native at 90 rather the reprojection then I'm impressed. I've not seen that being the norm on this forum. VR is just so super intensive. You should try it at 1.5 with your 3080 - you might find that you get things looking prettier with higher in game settings despite the drop from native.

Soldato
Yeah. I know it's not native. But nothing can really run the Q2 or G2 at native. You need to run below native to get decent performance. If you are able to get most games running at native at 90 rather the reprojection then I'm impressed. I've not seen that being the norm on this forum. VR is just so super intensive. You should try it at 1.5 with your 3080 - you might find that you get things looking prettier with higher in game settings despite the drop from native.

I will upfront and honest that I cannot say with hand on my heart that other games are not reporjecting, but most games I am playing are a few years old (e.g. Roborecall, Pokerstars VR, Elite Dangerous).

But most of these seem to be running at 90Hz when I use the ODT tool. But I will definitely check again.

I honestly thought that most people were able to run at 1.7x, perhaps then I am wrong and I need to check into it more....

I do have Half Life Alyx that I want to try, that could be a good test of this.

Incidentally, could you let me know your thoughts on the ODT vs FPSVR?

Thanks again zero...

Associate
They both do the same thing. If you are running games in Steam VR then FPS VR works with them. If you are using the Oculus api instead (MS store, Epic store, Oculus store, and some steam games.let you choose) then ODT is needed. FPS VR gives more detail. I bought it because I had a G2 originally, but I sent that back and bought the Q2.

Associate
Quest 2 and a 3090 here.

I use FPSVR but it doesn't work with everything, especially over link. You can also use the Nvidia perfomance overlay Alt+R on your monitor and peek under the headset now and then. It won't give you frame rates if FPSVR is also running.

I've got bit rate at 350 in ODT, read somewhere that Occulus said >350 was pointless but some run at 500. High bitrates can cause issues depending on setup, it's supposed to work automatically in an update.

Steam settings at 100%, increasing it does little for the image but kills performance.

Occulus app setting depends on the game for me, unfortunately it does give a better image even going from 1.5 to 1.7 but is harder to run. Frame rate makes a difference too. You'll have to see what you prefer in terms of frame rate and res per game. Some of the settings I'm using-

Elite - 1.7 and 90fps, reprojects in stations but not while zooming about and bounty hunting. Probably would on planets and in asteroid fields but I don't do that stuff.
Alyx - 1.7 and 90fps, no reprojection on ultra and looks great. Think it can change it's own settings on the fly though.
Skyrim - 1.7 and 90fps on the unmodded version. You can see the difference in this with bitrate settings as well.
PCars 2 - 1.7 and 80fps. Got some game settings turned down, from memory mrsa med, shadows and grass low, simple mirrors, reflections and particles down a notch. Works well if you avoid rain and night driving.

Soldato
There are quite a few VR games which just don't run well on modern high resolution VR headsets even with 3080s or 3090s at anywhere near native resolution, e.g.

FS2020, No Mans Sky, Subnautica, Squadrons (for some people) are some examples.

Sims like Project Cars 2, IL2 Sturmovik, DCS are actually borderline too at the top G2 or Quest 2 resolutions.

A lot of the older games run great, but they were designed for lower resolution headsets like the Rift or Vive, and 1070 graphics cards. But what's amazing is a lot of these older games still look greatl. Lone Echo in particular (though that does require beefy hardware if you're using Revive to emulate it on Steam VR.)

Associate
So I've just had a fiddle with the EA Origin version of Squadrons. Origin told me I have no friends, which is nice...

So with a 3090 at 1950 and a mildly OC 10700K best I can do in Squadrons to avoid reprojection is-

In game 100% scaling settings on VR ultra. Occulus app 80hz 1.4 scaling which is about x2400 I think.

I've never actually finished this as it was janky at launch. Just did the first story mission, going to have to finish it, and Alyx and all the other stuff.

Soldato
new user - great summary ,thank you! Understood. So 1.4 scaling @80hz.... why 80? Definitely need to play Alyx also!
Ravenger - yep later games like MSFS2020 will surely kill the performance.
Doggie - yep need to play Alyx soon!

Back
Top Bottom