*** Oculus Quest 2 Owners Thread ***

Soldato
The quest 2 has been out for quite a while now and I'm toying with the idea of buying one for a bit of vr gaming. I'm looking at getting some games with good replayability value.

Have they shaped up to be a good bit of kit?

Apart from the Facebook account requirement it's the best all-round and most flexible headset out there.

It's not the highest resolution, but it's pretty high-res anyway; it doesn't have the biggest FOV, but the standalone and wireless nature means it's really flexible and you can take it anywhere. Incredibly it's also half the price of its nearest competitors. It also has the best tracking of any headset except for the Index or the original Oculus Rift with three cameras, and requires no external cameras or sensors. The controllers are excellent too, comfortable, and give good hand presence. Plus you can go controllerless in some applications and use hand tracking.

Also there are loads of different and relatively cheap accessories available for it, facial interfaces, headstraps, extended batteries, link cables, controller straps, lots ot stuff.

A warning though, if you actively use your Facebook account never post anything remotely controversial if you have a Quest 2 and games, otherwise you could lose all access to your headset and purchases if your Facebook account is banned.

Meta have said they will be removing the Facebook account requirement at some point and will be moving to an overarching Meta account instead. Probably that'll happen when Project Cambria, their business focussed headset releases.

Soldato
The quest 2 has been out for quite a while now and I'm toying with the idea of buying one for a bit of vr gaming. I'm looking at getting some games with good replayability value.

Adore mine, have now bought a 2nd one, and just waiting for our new home to be finally ready, so I can use it a bit more with my wife/son.
Got it on release, within 2 days I told my dad to get one (he was 79 at the time, 82 now), he set it up, and we basically played weekly since, minigolf and fishing being the main two. Considering he lives about 2-3 hours and a decent expense away from me, along with covid isolation rules where he was, it was near enough the same as seeing him. Conversation in VR is far more natural than phone/video calls.

I also have had brilliant fun every Monday evening with the crowd here (and you'd be welcome to join us!), playing golf, rec room quests and laser tag/paintball games, as well as a few other bits. We started off with Star Trek, and I swear I haven't laughed as much as I did with some of those games, it was obviously a little tentative talking and playing with 3 strangers at first, but that soon broke the ice and we've been having weekly fun since. Also been great during the pandemic.

I'd been dropping off playing games on my PC, but the quest 2 really brought me back into gaming, and where it excels is the social side of things. Being able to see who you're talking to wave at you, looking at you, in some games with lip syncing, and soon enough with face and eye tracking to really nail it in some experiences I suspect. You also find yourself enjoying games that you wouldn't on flatscreen. I couldn't imagine a worse game to play than mini golf on a monitor to be honest, even as fun a one as walkabout, but when you're actually the one playing, it's brilliant fun with friends. I've never been much of an fps player, and something like Left for Dead just doesn't have an appeal, but After the fall (similar to left 4 dead in VR) is absolutely brilliant for me, despite all the bugs it can have :D.

As a purely single player device, I've had a lot of fun with it, but it's been absolutely exceptional as a social thing.

So yeah. I'd probably recommend it... and if you do buy one new, before you activate it, or maybe even before you buy (not sure exactly) let me know (or if you have a friend with one) and you can get a referral link, gives both you and me £23 in store credit. Good for a couple of games (depending on the game).

Soldato
Then again ours has not been touched for 3 months which we got as a Xmas present for my eldest and I`m contemplating selling it. I owned a Quest 1 for about a year and although I can see the progression in the Quest 2 I dont see it to have the games etc that you must have one in your life.

I think I will just wait till you can have your own personal holodeck. :)

Soldato
Then again ours has not been touched for 3 months which we got as a Xmas present for my eldest and I`m contemplating selling it. I owned a Quest 1 for about a year and although I can see the progression in the Quest 2 I dont see it to have the games etc that you must have one in your life.

I think I will just wait till you can have your own personal holodeck. :)

Obviously it may not be for everyone, but assuming that people have had a good go at some of the decent games that work well in VR (some examples for me would be Walkabout Mini Golf, Eleven Table Tennis, Half-Life:Alyx, The Walking Dead: Saints & Sinners, plus there is all the racing sim stuff that puts you in the cockpit and the rhythm and fighting games) I would be surprised at people thinking it still just doesn't have the content.

Soldato
Obviously it may not be for everyone, but assuming that people have had a good go at some of the decent games that work well in VR (some examples for me would be Walkabout Mini Golf, Eleven Table Tennis, Half-Life:Alyx, The Walking Dead: Saints & Sinners, plus there is all the racing sim stuff that puts you in the cockpit and the rhythm and fighting games) I would be surprised at people thinking it still just doesn't have the content.

I've already completed Alyx on the Quest 1, several other games, played Beat Sabre to death with custome songs, Pistol Whip, Superhot, Saints and Sinners is okay but not great, like Mini Golf is okay. Even played F1 2021 in VR. Plus all the sideload games etc, stuff like Trials on Tatooine, The 3 Vader episodes, some other Star Wars Stuff eg THE best VR Star Wars game - Project Stardust (my voice was used as one of the Rebel pilots), Star Trek Bridge Commander, Sniper Elite was good although it made me a bit queezy. I think the problem for me is there isnt enough new content coming along that we like. What is there left to look forward to ? I think the fact its not been played with for 3 months says loads.

Soldato
I've already completed Alyx on the Quest 1, several other games, played Beat Sabre to death with custome songs, Pistol Whip, Superhot, Saints and Sinners is okay but not great, like Mini Golf is okay. Even played F1 2021 in VR. Plus all the sideload games etc, stuff like Trials on Tatooine, The 3 Vader episodes, some other Star Wars Stuff eg THE best VR Star Wars game - Project Stardust (my voice was used as one of the Rebel pilots), Star Trek Bridge Commander, Sniper Elite was good although it made me a bit queezy. I think the problem for me is there isnt enough new content coming along that we like. What is there left to look forward to ? I think the fact its not been played with for 3 months says loads.

The fact that you haven't used it in 3 months says something about you, not VR in general. It's growing all the time. It's no different than people buying consoles for gaming and not using them for months on end. That doesn't mean that console gaming is dying. And I don't know people think that just because they don't play anymore that VR is dead or dying!!

Myself and the rest of the guys from the hangout crew, @Unseul @Mr Badger @Ravenger @ShiWarrior etc. meet up every week. We have a ton of fun. To me it's no different than meeting the guys for five aside soccer every week. Maybe that's your problem, you haven't found the right crowd to play with online? It does make a massive difference.

And VR is good solo, but, it's real strength is the social side of things. Conversations in VR are much better than normal pancake games. I will go back to my example of playing soccer with some mates every week and playing walkabout mini golf with some mates every week. I don't get bored of soccer, because it's not the same every week, there is a little bit of competition to keep it interesting and there is a whole lot of banter. It's the same with Walkabout mini golf with the guys here. It's not very competitive normally, (well maybe a race to the bottom!!) as Unseul is much better than the rest of us. But, it's great fun, It's not the same every week. It's become a hobby.

And it was so amazing to have the hangout Monday night over lockdown.

Going back to the question is the Quest 2 worth buying. Of all the headset out there, it's probably the best one to start off with in VR, that's if you don't mind the Facebook connection. And I think everyone should try out VR at least once. It's not something that can be explained or read about or looked at on video. You really have to try it out yourself.

Last edited:
Underboss
have a look through here
some decent games coming

cant wait for among us, that's going to be socially fun

Soldato
I hope some sorta monkey island, syberia, the longest journey type games get vr treatments id think those types would suit it well. Tho they need to be long as ut seems vr games are very short but carries high prices atm on oculus store. Id love a tex murphy vr experience tho.

Associate
I suppose everyone uses the Quest for different reason, my favourite app is Wander (piggybacks on google street view but more realistic in VR) the TV app, a little gaming etc Love the quest 2.

Associate
I think the problem for me is there isnt enough new content coming along that we like
Exactly this. I get that many people are into the social benefits that VR brings, but many also want to game in VR. And having had both the Q1 and the Q2, it is clear that there is no budget for good triple A VR game creation. The superb Alyx clearly did not make enough money, as it has not resulted in the same standard of games coming thru. Many apparently still see it as a money grab, as seen by the Call of duty thing or even the diaster that was the hitman VR conversion. It is a sad state of things when the community gets most excited by releases from independant people doing VR conversions of old games. Can't help but think that the up coming "ghostbusters" and "peaky blinders" VR games are more a case of cashing in and giving any old crap to the VR community, based on previous releases.

I want good single player quality games, I don't need a team or to constantly chat to "friends" whilst storming a place. It might have to do with being older and therefore seriously outgunned when it comes to reactions etc and therefore preferring to do stuff at my own pace, or maybe I just prefer lone gaming.

Last edited:
Soldato
for now i think the best bet for AAA games in VR is actually VR modes for flat screen games. of course that may be easier in PCVR mode rather than stand alone mode.

HLA not being expanded on is more down to valve than anything. sadly (because they have some good IP) they do not really make games any more. Back when the Index was 1st announced valve promised 3 VR titles, made by them. they released HLA then seemingly canned the other 2 titles.

There are loads of decent VR titles imo. more than i have time to play that is for sure.... unfortunately many of these are PCVR only, some would likely lose to much if they were ported to the quest.

titles on my radar include

F1 2022 (but i have loads of racing games so happy to wait for discount)
Fracked is meant to be good
Zenith, dont know much about but sounds good
Assassins creed may be good but like you mentioned above there is a danger of cash grab there so i will wait and see.
Resident Evil 7 (and 8) is finally coming to PCVR and by all accounts are proper VR ports too with decent hand support.
HL2 VR another one i have waited years for looks close.
tea for god a mate has been begging me to try for years now, he reckons it is brilliant and that is getting a release soon
Agony looks suitably grim

but the game i am most interested in that i know about this year, that looks proper next gen of VR is Hubris

Soldato
PC VR AAA content is limited by the number of PC VR users.

AAA games cost tens of millions and in some cases hundreds of millions to develop, and you need a large number of sales to make that viable.

The GPU shortage has really harmed PC VR as it's so expensive to get into, so that will restrict how much money is invested in games.

It's not all bad news, with PSVR launching there will be more AAA VR games funded, many of which will make their way to PC VR, but the biggest growth in PC VR games right now are VR mods, and there are some amazing ones coming out now, which are as good as many official VR conversions.

Also there are AAA Quest games coming out - see RE4 for example. These are not quick to develop, which is why we haven't seen many yet. It takes at least 2 years for a AAA game to be developed from scratch.

Soldato
Yeah, AAA games need an audience, until the quest 2, there just hasn't been enough VR users out there to justify it. Now there's a greater and growing userbase, with psvr next year hopefully giving another big kick, and quest 3 following not long after. Foveated rendering will also allow better quality experiences with lesser graphics cards (and FSR 2.0 type things too).

Soldato
Hmm.. my left controller joystick is getting dodgy. It's drifting off to the right sometimes when moving forward.

Trouble is it's not yet bad enough I think to RMA. I'm not sure the RMA team will spot the issue unless they really play with it for a bit. Guess I'll just have to see how it goes.

Caporegime

Apart from the Facebook account requirement it's the best all-round and most flexible headset out there.

It's not the highest resolution, but it's pretty high-res anyway; it doesn't have the biggest FOV, but the standalone and wireless nature means it's really flexible and you can take it anywhere. Incredibly it's also half the price of its nearest competitors. It also has the best tracking of any headset except for the Index or the original Oculus Rift with three cameras, and requires no external cameras or sensors. The controllers are excellent too, comfortable, and give good hand presence. Plus you can go controllerless in some applications and use hand tracking.

Ditto, I want to get into VR and it seems we are now getting towards the end life of many high-end headsets that will likely be replaced in 2023. I think a Quest 2 for 390EUR represents the best "stop-gap" solution until the next big thing comes along. Do I need to buy the link cable separately or does it come with one?

Skyrim VR with the new PLANCK mod just looks amazing. :D

EDIT - Ok ordered!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom