Oculus Quest 2 Pro / Oculus Quest 3 Thread

Associate
I'm probably not going to be in a position to buy a new headset any time soon unfortunately, however, if the pricing strategies continue, it's probably only going to be the Oculus offering I'll be able to afford anyway. Definitely won't be a psvr 2, since that would require a ps5 first! Unless the boy puts in a request for a big christmas/birthday present, I don't see that happening.
Boyyyyy

Soldato
I
I'm probably not going to be in a position to buy a new headset any time soon unfortunately, however, if the pricing strategies continue, it's probably only going to be the Oculus offering I'll be able to afford anyway. Definitely won't be a psvr 2, since that would require a ps5 first! Unless the boy puts in a request for a big christmas/birthday present, I don't see that happening.

I'm confident that oculus and FB will dictate the pricing for next gen headsets. If it's good spec and a good price other manufacturers will be forced to compete or lose even more users to the oculus platform.

And given they will want to continue to control market share I'm guessing Oculus' next offering will be aggressivly priced.

Then if the continue to dominate the commercial VR space, who will Devs gravitate towards?

Soldato
Then if the continue to dominate the commercial VR space, who will Devs gravitate towards?

Oculus are already dominating the VR market for dev revenue - Quest apps often earn 10 times the amount the equivalent PC versions do.

That's the benefit of a VR system that costs a base £300 vs £1500+ for a PC capable of running a PC VR headset.

Only PSVR has sold as well (or possibly better), but I imagine that Oculus users probably use their headsets more as the friction is less (no wires or lengthy setup) and therefore buy more games per headset.

Associate
I

I'm confident that oculus and FB will dictate the pricing for next gen headsets. If it's good spec and a good price other manufacturers will be forced to compete or lose even more users to the oculus platform.

And given they will want to continue to control market share I'm guessing Oculus' next offering will be aggressivly priced.

I hope you're right, but nobodys tried to compete against fb so far and they've had pretty much complete dominance so not sure it'll happen soon

Soldato
Quest 3? leaks ahead of FB Connect...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HRbdck2sGJ0

I recently played on a Quest 2 having not given much attention to VR up to this point, was blown away by it but have been waiting on FB Connect before purchasing any kit.

I'd been flirting with the idea of getting a VR headset for about 12 months, was just getting ready to go for a second hand quest when the quest 2 rumours arrived. Waited, and as soon as pre-order was available and I saw the price, I jumped on board. Definitely not regretted it!

However now it's absolutely worth waiting till the end of the month and everyone gets their announcements out the way.

Soldato
looks like the weight distribution will be good this time as the battery and other gubbins seem to be on the back.

Like the way everything charged too off a single dock.

Soldato
I would happily pay a bit more for a better quality screen with decent contrast. The biggest let down about the Quest 2 for me is that dark scenes in some games look bad. Turn down the brightness and you can't see anything, turn it up and all you get is flat shades of grey.

Soldato
i would still like to see the battery and gpu moved to a small belt pack, it would allow both to be massively increased in spec while making the visor lighter, as well as allowing future upgrades to be visor or gpu...you pick.

Associate
I had a DK1 then a htc Vive when that first came out. Sold it pretty soon after, was sold on VR but the image quality wasn't good enough. I have been biding my time to jump back into VR, letting the tech mature.
Seems image quality across the VR sets has improved quite a bit.

A quest 3 (depending on spec/price) might be a great place to jump back into VR, i really want to see this Valve Deckard though.

Associate
The hints are that the next Quest will not be launching until next year, though It's almost certain to be announced at Facebook Connect.
While I agree I'm hoping it's sooner.

I was ready to buy a quest 2 but seeing these leaks has made me decide to wait for this new one.
I'd imagine once this connect is over the hype will be high and quest 2 sales low for a while.

I'd love if they did an iPhone type reveal and say "pre order now and out Nov 15th" or something.

Doubt it but can dream as I'll be waiting

Soldato
If the Quest Pro is much more expensive (I'm guessing £500-600) then it won't really affect Quest 2 sales. It's obvious the Quest 2 current version will be the base model headset. They wouldn't have released the 128gb version otherwise.

Soldato
I bought the Oculus Quest day one then sold it and bought a Quest 2 the day it was announced. The Quest 2 is pretty good in terms of specs so I'm not sure how easy it would be to improved it substantially easpecially with it still only being a year old. I'll wait and see what any Quest 3/Pro brings to the table but it would have to be a serious upgrade before I consider it especially if the price increases to £500+ which seems likely given the improved hardware.

Could still be tempted though as I'm a big fan of what Oculus has achieved with their VR platform.....:D

Associate
I'd hope Facebook do all they can to keep the main gaming version of the quest £500 or less.

No point charging £500++ when they are trying to make it as accessible as possible.
There's no chance buyers who are on the fence will buy at silly prices but find out tomorrow hopefully

Soldato
Facebook imo are big enough and rich enough to support 2 SKUs so with that in mind i would love to see the quest 2 as it stands still produced and then have a higher end device for £500-£600 with dedicated PC port as well as a higher end processor but still fully compatable.

icing on the cake would be for facebook to then open their doors slightly to other similar specced devices to use their store fronts.

The 1st perfect fit for this would be the newly announced pimax super high end device coming this time next year (if they manage not to delay)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom