Oculus Rift Dev ownership - My thoughts

Associate
Sorry I may have missed something here, but why would you want to walk around with the Rift when you control what's happening in the game via KB/M or Joystick?

I know you can use a controller to move but i dont see the point in doing it half hearted, i really liked the idea of properly being there and moving about like the vid with the people walking across the beam, if were easily do'able like that then i think it'd take off but sitting down useing your head as a mouse im not so sure about.

Associate
I know you can use a controller to move but i dont see the point in doing it half hearted, i really liked the idea of properly being there and moving about like the vid with the people walking across the beam, if were easily do'able like that then i think it'd take off but sitting down useing your head as a mouse im not so sure about.

You need to open your eyes mate.

Regardless of how nice it would be to get up and walk around at the same time, the fact of the matter is this.

Most gamers will be plugged into their games for many hours at a time, I think you will find walking around for that amount of time will get very tiring. My bet is bet that most of the gaming through OR will be used sitting down.

I'm pretty sure this will take off with no hitch as most people are most interested in the actual experience given from the headset itself. Complementary items to help with other experiences like walking at the same time will probably be catered too afterwards.

Soldato
Although I am not a big fan of them. But racing games would be insane with this. Setup a bucket/racing chair with a decent steering wheel and pedals. Sit in chair wack on OR load up racing game of choice = insanely good fun ! especially if you can look out the side windows or behind.

I really want one now :(

Associate
Complementary items to help with other experiences like walking at the same time will probably be catered too afterwards.

All im saying is untill ^^ happens i honestly dont see the point in it. Mind you when it does happen i'll be first in line thats for sure

Associate
I've been following these and will definitely be making a purchase when they come out.

Do we know what compatibility it offers for consoles, inc. next gen ones?

Nothing at the moment, seems like consoles would be capable of running it but nothing official has come out yet. Wouldn't be surprised to see it though.

Although I am not a big fan of them. But racing games would be insane with this. Setup a bucket/racing chair with a decent steering wheel and pedals. Sit in chair wack on OR load up racing game of choice = insanely good fun ! especially if you can look out the side windows or behind.

I really want one now

Looking forward to that as well!

Permabanned
OP
TBH it doesnt need a great deal of horsepower to run it, beyond the current gen but not a prob for the next I wouldnt have thought.

Permabanned
OP
Here's what miles had to say about it, apologies for length...

Part one.

Confessions of a VR N00b - by Miles Fitzsimmons

Liam was a Facebook friend of a real friend. Until a few hours ago. He seemed pleasant enough online; it appeared we shared aroundabout the same taste in media. Films. TV. Music. But, more importantly here, games.
Now I've met him, I can stop using past-tense.
Me, I'm a Graphic Artist. I'm 37 years old, have been playing interactive entertainment (used to be "video games") since I was 4. The Atari 2600 was my first step into gaming and I've never looked back. Games have the advantage over movies and literature in as much as you are the protagonist, you control your destiny, and your future is in your own hands - skill dependent. Nothing here is pre-set (unless the developer wants to put you on rails).
Games and films both have the same problem - a rectangular border that reminds you that this is just a work of fiction. In literature you are forced into imaging a scene, due to the nature of the medium, it cloaks around you when you close your eyes; you paint the picture of the scene, in your head, based on the authors' description.

For the last eight weeks or so, since his e-Bay purchase of the Oculus Rift Development Kit (don't tell his wife!), his Facebook updates have been tantamount to that of an Oculus PR man. He's raved and raved and raved over it. Since it cost him a pretty penny, I'd expect it to **** out gold coins, magical wish-giving unicorns, and a naked, willing Natalie Portman.
A week or so back I told him he was getting to the point of overkill with his praise for the device. Let's talk about something else. He did, and the record became unscratched.
I've been designing a game from scratch for the last 9 months, building and texturing models takes as much time as it takes, so a lot of my time has been taken up by that. Liam has had "demo nights" of his new toy during this period, where his friends come around to his house and he runs through demos - and partial levels of consumer games like Skyrim. I've booked into these sessions only to have to say 'no' due to some screw up with my project, my head is usually in Photoshop or 3DSMax. I have to finish this!
The Facebook updates from his friends have only ever been glowing at worst. I love technology and feel I'm missing out.
Now about 95% complete on the design front, happy to give it to a programmer friend, I have some breathing space in my daily routine - I'll still finish all the assets if I take my foot off the pedal before he'll finish programming.
Liam had a day off today.
Time to contact this guy I only know through Facebook and call his bluff on the ******** of Oculus Rift.
You see, I had previously worked for one of the console giants (my compromise agreement for a redundancy cheque forbids me to say who they are) where our team had tested sets of VR goggles. Anybody who used them was guaranteed a headache after 10 minutes. We failed them on this reason alone. "This VR crap simply does not work" is my way of thinking.
Liam picks me up from my house - I find he's a genuinely pleasant and amusing guy in reality - no awkward or dead silences in the car due to our geekdom (I prefer the original cut of Blade Runner, he prefers the Final Cut for its pristine imagery, we both argue our points, etc.). ****, the guy even stops off and purchases us both a bottle of Diet Coke from the petrol station because it is so hot today.
His house. The loft. Technology everywhere. I thought I needed help with my technology addiction.
I see the Oculus Rift headset. It's straight out of The Lawnmower Man.
"I'll start you off ...", he tells me while navigating through files, "with the rollercoaster demo".
I don the Oculus Rift for the first time. It's not heavy at all. In fact, I forgot it was there after a few minutes.
Everything's a bit hazy because it's still in Windows . I see the Unreal Develpment Kit logo boot -still visually squizzed, there's a sort-of inverted logo - and get a shiver down my spine (of the bad type). I do not like UDK, it is a crash-happy piece of ****. I deflate a bit, disappointed.
And then I'm on a rollercoater. It's the usual UDK Castle demo with a rollercoater track through it. But I am on the rollercoaster. I can underline that a million times, but no words can express that initial HOLY **** feeling. I look around, panning my head everywhere and it tracks perfectly with me. I can feel the inertia. I throw my hand out because I'm sure I can touch the sides of the cart I'm in (I can't, but I am convinced I can). We crank up to the top of the hill and - WHEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!
It is exactly like being on a rollercoaster. When I go over the 90degree drop I get the same physical feeling I get from a real rollercoaster - stomach into lungs. There's no lag, even though I'm taking the landscape in from all angles. There's a bit of blur now and then - and I don't think it's purposeful motion blur. But - this is nothing like a the same thing on monitor where you are distanced from the scene (however big the monitor is, and however close you are to it, you'll still see the room in your peripheral vision - I can stil).
I ask Liam to keep the demo running so I can sit backwards. Whenever I've been on a train or bus, on the reverse seat so it makes you imagine you're going backwards, the feeling is different... But this, this has exactly the same feeling.
"Can this VR really work?" I ask myself. He boots the next demo.
A squizzed out Unity logo. I like Unity, it is friendly and doesn't treat my workstation like a slap happy whore. "Remember X-Wing vs Tie-Fighter?" I am asked. I nod, Oculus still on my head. "Well, this is the Oculus demo of the same concept".
I spent many happy hours of my early 20s blasting X-Wings. Bring it on.
This demo is initally graphically inferior to the first. The cockpit is angular, basic. But that's me - my training an artist and design snob (apologies to who made it, you're probably a programmer. I can't do what you do and vice versa). But does the demo have depth? Hell, yes. I am surrounded my stars, nebulas. I tilt my head 360degrees - depth everywhere. I press a button on the Xbox pad I'm handed to spawn an opponent - we're on a PC, but it's an X360 pad - and the enemy kills me immediately.
"He might wanna tone down the AI from ruthless to slightly less aggressive" I hear. No ****.
More demos. For an hour.
I laugh a lot - hugely entertained by tasks. I actually try to push away things that are thrown towards me - even though I really know they are not there. This beats any 3D experience I have had in a cinema.
After maybe 90 straight minutes in the Rift - I do not want to take it off (if there's a problem for the Far-East MMO players not eating in the present because they are obsessed with the world they are in, the Rift will be one in the future) we go for a cigarette break in the garden.
I am stunned. My whole perception of VR being a fake has changed. Liam's sitting there with the "I told you so" face I expected. I don't mind knowing I'm wrong when I am actually wrong about something. This is case in point.
We discuss the myriad of possibilities this product has. They're infinite!
A couple of nicotine rushes later and back to the loft - I cannot wait to get back.
A zombie demo using the Hydra Razr - I blow their heads off. My hands in the game rotate realtime. If Call of Duty Zombies mode used this it would be a million times better - my arms are not tired like when I've played Kinect Tennis. It's like having half a PlayStation pad in each hand. But lighter. The lassos on the devices are hassles though. I nearly put my hand through Liam's monitor twice.
There were some teething problems with the Razr. A demo which required me to hold my hand to my chest - while I rotated my body on axis to change POV - while the other searched for items - it was sketchy at best.
A driving game demo - it made you really feel the confines of a car. The whoosh of hitting the apex was sweet.
A helicopter flying demo - a bit like the GTA miniature helicopter demo, didn't get into it because I was always awful at that particular mission, although the confines made it real.
Another space game - sparse, going base-to-base, but the inertia on it was perfect. I feel like I'm in a spacepod.
Then the one that blew me away. A fly thru of the galaxy. Sweet mother of God! I cannot explain the sheer depth of scale of this. From one planet to another - everything got bigger and bigger until you literally feel like an atom. WHOOOOA!http://youtu.be/uPUbErPUOso
Then Skyrim. I love Skyrim. Imagine that world all around you. Nothing more has to be said. I spent 5 minutes gazing at a waterfall and the scenery around me... Although there was one problem: during the opening cinematic, the view locks in. My brain still thought I could look wherever I wanted and I got the only dose of motion sickness throughout the session - about an inch above my temples - it lasted about 4 seconds, then passed.
Liam drove me home, we discussed the possibilities of this new creation.
And I hit e-Bay for one of my own (later to find they're cheaper on their own website).
As soon as I finish the assets for the game I am making - I will start creating new worlds for the Rift.
It simply is the future.
By and large, and judging the demos from a design point of view, I think these games and demos have been largely made by programmers with adequate design skill. As I said - I can't do what they do. They just need a second party on board to pretty stuff up - but it's as close to The Matrix or Tron as we've gone so far.
All of the above is only my opinion.

Last edited:
Permabanned
OP
Tonight I got Dirt 3 working with the rift, needed a fair bit of messing about though, FOV changer, Hyra support working,perception, opentrack headtracking software, editing xml for support but oh my life was it worth it, absolutely sensational, completely immersive and so much more fun, I gotta get me a steering wheel nowhttp://youtu.be/RQ6iX2Tqwx8 Not my video but you get the idea

Last edited:
Associate
Possible new display for Occulus HD

Did not Occulus state that the consumer version of the Rift would use a higher resolution display, well, I think the New 2013 Nexus 7 fits the bill perfectly!
with its 1920 x 1200 @ 323 pixels per inch display.
This could display in theory 960 x 1200 to each eye although allowing for internal structures in the HUD, this would be a little less, but still considerably better than the Dev kit.

What do you think?

Soldato
Did not Occulus state that the consumer version of the Rift would use a higher resolution display, well, I think the New 2013 Nexus 7 fits the bill perfectly!
with its 1920 x 1200 @ 323 pixels per inch display.
This could display in theory 960 x 1200 to each eye although allowing for internal structures in the HUD, this would be a little less, but still considerably better than the Dev kit.

What do you think?

They'll go for a 1080p screen. Maybe a way to change the screen to a higher resolution. Personally, I'd prefer to have more horizontal resolution than vertical.

Soldato
I was gonna back the kickstarter for the OR.

But I decided to wait for the retail version with a better resolution :)

I'm already sold on the OR after hearing John Carmack, but will wait for the retail version :)

Permabanned
OP
It's the most incredible piece of tech I've ever had the pleasure to use, I tested the eye ups on an sbs video on the iPhone 4 and you get a taste for what the 1080p version would be like, I'm gonna get a 7" 1080p display and make a homebrew movie player for vr cinema and a supported head tracker

Last edited:
Soldato
They'll go for a 1080p screen. Maybe a way to change the screen to a higher resolution. Personally, I'd prefer to have more horizontal resolution than vertical.

The image is rendered in a way that you're not actually viewing it as 2 "tall screen" images, and the lenses focus the image so that it mirrors the way our eyes see.

Back
Top Bottom