** OCULUS RIFT VR HEADSET SAVE £200 LIMITED PERIOD ONLY **

Soldato
So the sensors are originally USB3 and the extenders change them to USB2? Did I understand you right? If so, wouldn't this limit the bandwidth of the sensor?

No, there is no difference in tracking between usb2 and 3. Don't worry about it, and enjoy your rift.

Associate
I've bitten and ordered, well pre-ordered!

Is stock likely tomorrow for any pre-orders? Curious because if OcUK are doing the free upgrade to Saturday delivery I will need to change my delivery address away from work.

Assume I should contact CS tomorrow to ask!

Excited to join the revolution!

OcUK Staff
OP
I've bitten and ordered, well pre-ordered!

Is stock likely tomorrow for any pre-orders? Curious because if OcUK are doing the free upgrade to Saturday delivery I will need to change my delivery address away from work.

Assume I should contact CS tomorrow to ask!

Excited to join the revolution!

Send a webnote to sales with your order number. I'll tell them to make sure yours ships today and tell them to change your delivery address on the same webnote. Mention NikTheSHNIK on the webnote.

Associate
Send a webnote to sales with your order number. I'll tell them to make sure yours ships today and tell them to change your delivery address on the same webnote. Mention NikTheSHNIK on the webnote.
Any chance I might get the same luck? I contacted via webnote yesterday after pre-orderingg and was told to wait 1-2 weeks for the next batch. Drat!!

OcUK Staff
OP
Any chance I might get the same luck? I contacted via webnote yesterday after pre-orderingg and was told to wait 1-2 weeks for the next batch. Drat!!

Difficult to say at the moment as the situation is very complicated. It is possible though. Contact sales this afternoon. I'll ask them to see what they can do and let them know to expect your call.

Associate
Thanks for the update. I guess the other question is whats the chances of actually getting one before they run out or the offer ends.... It looks like all UK stock is gone!

r

Last edited:
Associate
Got my Rift yesterday. Only had a few hours to play with it, but I thought I'd post my impressions for anyone still sitting on the fence about getting one.

Initial setup was fairly easy, but not painless. Windows 10 stubbornly insisted it didn't have a driver for the included XBox wireless receiver, so I had to do some googling to find a driver which worked. The filmy plastic battery block tab on the Oculus remote that needs to be removed proved to be so stubborn I had to use pliers to pull it out.

Getting the headset on and snuggly fitted is a major faff if you wear glasses. It's like putting on a gas mask that manages to be both far too big and too tight at the same time. I have to push my face and glasses into the headset and then pull it over my head, rather than the more normal baseball-cap like back to front procedure. Once it's on the glasses don't pose any kind of problem, although I do have an issue with the headset pushing down the skin below my eyes, which causes my eyes to dry out quite quickly. Hopefully more with more fiddling I'll find a way to eliminate this.

The actual VR experience is just like everyone raves about - completely astonishing. The demos that play after setup are very, very good at showing off VR's strengths. There's one where you are standing on the edge of a tall building in a steampunk-type city. I'm not afraid of heights, but when I looked down I took an involuntary step back. Yes, it's that real. The T-Rex demo is also amazing, you can feel the scale and weight of the dinosaur as it stomps toward you. VR really is incredibly impressive. I was giggling like a school girl, and for someone who's been using computers for nearly 35 years and has become rather jaded and cynical about technology, that's a huge feat.

That said, the Rift is VR v1.0 hardware and it shows. There is noticeable screen-door effect (like looking through a very fine, black insect net) and the effective resolution of the screen is mediocre; it's similar to watching a DVD quality stream of a game, rather than the real thing. I don't personally find the screen door an issue, but the low resolution takes some getting used to. The Rift's lenses also cause 'god rays' which are quite distracting in certain scenes, but for me are not a deal breaker. And it just cries out for a camera so you can see the keyboard when neccessary. The first developer to write and app that can superimpose a camera view on the VR space will make a fortune.

VR is immature; the Rift is crude, limited and sometimes a bit annoying. It feels so much like a prototype of something from the future. Is it worth buying? Yes, absolutely. Most of us here would spend £400 on a new graphics card or CPU or monitor, but none of those will make you laugh with delighted amazement.

Soldato
If you have a good graphics card.

Oculus Debug tool. Have a look at this (if you dont already have it in your oculus software you can dl it from oculus website) I used to use this to implement SS. Once you have changed your setting dont close it and load up a demo or game where you saw the screendoor effect. It should be vastly reduced depending on what resolution you chose

But this was a while ago - maybe there is different way to upping res in the rift nowadays.

Soldato
Dr can I ask please, did you experience feeling sick at all after or while using the Rift , I'm asking as some youtube videos I've seen say they felt a little sick after .

For most games you won't have a problem. Some games though like Dirt Rally or Minecraft are hard for some people to stomach. But, like everything else, it's something you get used to after a while.

Soldato
If you have a good graphics card.

Oculus Debug tool. Have a look at this (if you dont already have it in your oculus software you can dl it from oculus website) I used to use this to implement SS. Once you have changed your setting dont close it and load up a demo or game where you saw the screendoor effect. It should be vastly reduced depending on what resolution you chose

But this was a while ago - maybe there is different way to upping res in the rift nowadays.

Yes, use Oculus tray tool. It's a great little utility. You can set the super sampling rate, it switches your sound device to the rift automatically for Steam. It setups steam VR in your Oculus home screen. If you haven't got it, I suggest you get it, there is no faffing about like you have to do with the debug tool.

Associate
Yes, use Oculus tray tool. It's a great little utility. You can set the super sampling rate, it switches your sound device to the rift automatically for Steam. It setups steam VR in your Oculus home screen. If you haven't got it, I suggest you get it, there is no faffing about like you have to do with the debug tool.

+1 cracking little bit of software, very simple.

Back
Top Bottom