** OCULUS RIFT VR HEADSET SAVE £200 LIMITED PERIOD ONLY **

Associate
That £999 PC & Rift offer is a cracker...as usual I go straight to configure and add everything in lol. Still £1560 including a 1080Ti for that with the rift is still tasty and perfectly adequate for VR gaming

Soldato
Got my Rift yesterday. Only had a few hours to play with it, but I thought I'd post my impressions for anyone still sitting on the fence about getting one.

Initial setup was fairly easy, but not painless. Windows 10 stubbornly insisted it didn't have a driver for the included XBox wireless receiver, so I had to do some googling to find a driver which worked. The filmy plastic battery block tab on the Oculus remote that needs to be removed proved to be so stubborn I had to use pliers to pull it out.

Getting the headset on and snuggly fitted is a major faff if you wear glasses. It's like putting on a gas mask that manages to be both far too big and too tight at the same time. I have to push my face and glasses into the headset and then pull it over my head, rather than the more normal baseball-cap like back to front procedure. Once it's on the glasses don't pose any kind of problem, although I do have an issue with the headset pushing down the skin below my eyes, which causes my eyes to dry out quite quickly. Hopefully more with more fiddling I'll find a way to eliminate this.

The actual VR experience is just like everyone raves about - completely astonishing. The demos that play after setup are very, very good at showing off VR's strengths. There's one where you are standing on the edge of a tall building in a steampunk-type city. I'm not afraid of heights, but when I looked down I took an involuntary step back. Yes, it's that real. The T-Rex demo is also amazing, you can feel the scale and weight of the dinosaur as it stomps toward you. VR really is incredibly impressive. I was giggling like a school girl, and for someone who's been using computers for nearly 35 years and has become rather jaded and cynical about technology, that's a huge feat.

That said, the Rift is VR v1.0 hardware and it shows. There is noticeable screen-door effect (like looking through a very fine, black insect net) and the effective resolution of the screen is mediocre; it's similar to watching a DVD quality stream of a game, rather than the real thing. I don't personally find the screen door an issue, but the low resolution takes some getting used to. The Rift's lenses also cause 'god rays' which are quite distracting in certain scenes, but for me are not a deal breaker. And it just cries out for a camera so you can see the keyboard when neccessary. The first developer to write and app that can superimpose a camera view on the VR space will make a fortune.

VR is immature; the Rift is crude, limited and sometimes a bit annoying. It feels so much like a prototype of something from the future. Is it worth buying? Yes, absolutely. Most of us here would spend £400 on a new graphics card or CPU or monitor, but none of those will make you laugh with delighted amazement.

Congratulations on your new purchase :)

There is an art to putting on the headset with glasses. It's pretty easy to take on and off. Here is what I do. You should only have to do this once.

• Unstrap the top and side straps and loosen them most of the way or (better) leave them un-velcroed.
  • Put the back of the strap really low on your head, so the base of the triangle is just above the top of your neck.
  • Pull forward on the HMD so the top and side straps slip out, then position it low on your forehead -- just above the eyebrows. You'll have a huge nose gap - that's OK.
  • While holding the HMD in place with one hand, tighten the velcro top strap so it's firm (but not tight) against your forehead.
  • Grab the sides of the HMD and tilt the base of the HMD towards your face, so it pivots on the point it's attached to your forehead. You'll feel little clicks, or friction points, as it adjusts (Edit: most Rifts apparently rotate smoothly). This closes the nose gap.
  • Tighten the side straps and velcro lock them.
  • Look at text (the health and safety warning is a good test) and do slight adjustments up/down on your forehead until the text is as crisp as possible.
  • Double check your IPD settings as the new fit may lead to small IPD adjustments being needed.

Putting on the Rift like a gasmask is actually a much better way of doing it, even if you don't wear glasses. It stops the lenses getting scratched.

You should also get oculus tray tool. Not sure what graphics card you have but you can improve the graphic quality with super sampling. But, trust me, most of the things you are seeing now will fade over time. You won't even notice once you start playing a game. Put on Robo Recall, you will be so busy pulling robots apart you won't have time for anything else :)

Soldato
Yes, use Oculus tray tool. It's a great little utility. You can set the super sampling rate, it switches your sound device to the rift automatically for Steam. It setups steam VR in your Oculus home screen. If you haven't got it, I suggest you get it, there is no faffing about like you have to do with the debug tool.

Nice! Good to see the updates improving usability.

Associate
Difficult to say at the moment as the situation is very complicated. It is possible though. Contact sales this afternoon. I'll ask them to see what they can do and let them know to expect your call.

Thanks for the last minute save, everything is now sorted and on it's way :)
You just got yourselves a new loyal customer, this is by far the best customer service experience I've ever had.

Soldato
I have to put it on face first as well or else glasses get pulled out of position, doesnt seem to be a problem but im considering those replacement face gaskets that add more room for glasses.

Associate
If you have a good graphics card. Oculus Debug tool.
I had heard of that, but unfortunately my PC is temporarily starved of graphics power. I had a pair of R9 Nanos in it, which I sold to miners for very good money. Then I bought a Radeon Pro Duo, which arrived with a faulty pump. So atm I'm limping along on an old and slightly iffy Radeon 290 until such time as AMD will sell me an RX Vega. I'll still give it a shot and see what the performance is like, though.

Dr can I ask please, did you experience feeling sick at all after or while using the Rift , I'm asking as some youtube videos I've seen say they felt a little sick after .
Only one small instance so far. There's a Disney movies thing on the Rift store that features a sand-skimming sequence from Star Wars. Looking down at the skimmer in that gave me a distinctly nauseated feeling that lasted for about 10 minutes or so. But everything else I've tried has been fine.

Associate
Showing as in stock with delivery tomorrow now, does that mean that some more stock has been found?

Been changing my mind between ordering and not ordering all week! Got the weekend to myself so if I do order delivery tomorrow morning would be ideal.

Decisions decisions...

Soldato
It's a 6-week sale BUT stock in distribution will probably dry up long before then.
Thanks.

Thinking of ordering this for Sunday delivery. What my main concern is that I have always been sensitive to displays with low resolutions and being able to see pixels might ruin the experience completely for me. How is the rift in that regard?

EDIT: Is this actually in stock as its showing? What was all the talk in the previous page about 1-2 weeks wait?

Associate
We've had a small quantity today (NikTheSHNIK twisting suppliers arms to try and get as many as he could so more people could enjoy this weekend), but expecting a larger delivery to arrive at a later date.

Back
Top Bottom