Oculus Rift

Associate
going to be a long day!! :)

Have you tried VR before? If not, I can't wait to read about your reactions!!
Haha, yeah, the day does seem to be dragging a little.:rolleyes:
The only VR I've tried before was GearVR with my S7 edge.
Ordered an Xbox pad earlier, a vrcover basic set and some clips for the sensors.
There doesn't seem to be much choice for oculus stands :(

Last edited:
Soldato
I had a friend 3D print this oculus headset wall mount:
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1610009

Just uses a single screw and most importantly the headset sits lenses down, so you don't get dust on the lenses or have sunlight hitting them. It's very important that you never let sunlight hit the rift lenses, as it will damage the LCDs. The lenses are basically super-effective magnifying glasses.

I mounted mine behind my PC monitor so the headset is out of sight, and out of sunlight, but easily reachable.

Associate
Last night was quite fun... until it wasn't, lol
Didn't need the extra usb card as the port's on the Asus z170 dlx seem fine.
Initial impression was it's a slightly higher rez version of the gear vr
Then i saw my hands and was like "wow"
The controllers are really comfy and the tracking is excellent

Enjoyed the intro with the little robot and the 3d printer thing, then had a quick go on the BBC 'Home'. Even on the novice setting I was standing and wobbling a bit, the sense of scale outside the ship was incredible and when the arm whizzed me across and I could see the planet my palms were sweating lol.

Tested a video and definitely need next gen/higher resolution for even SD content to be acceptable.

Lucky's tale was next and it's a brilliant little cute platformer. I played this for a while until suddenly I started feeling a little queasy and had to take a break.
I think I'd been playing the game for around an hour at that point. I needed about an hour to recover, but it was getting late then so I just went to bed.

Feel fine this morning and I'm looking forward to messing around again this evening. But if last night is anything to go by, I think I'm going to have to take it slow and build up a tolerance.

I wish I had a friend with a 3d printer, I'd like to get one of these stands printed which holds the rift, touch controllers and an xbox pad:
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1783619

Last edited:
Soldato
Give RoboRecall a try :D

If your hardware can support some SuperSampling (SS) then also configure that as it really does improve the clarity / image quality. Its obviously off by default as it does increase system requirements.

Soldato
Last night was quite fun... until it wasn't, lol

Initial impression was it's a slightly higher rez version of the gear vr
Then i saw my hands and was like "wow"
The controllers are really comfy and the tracking is excellent

Enjoyed the intro with the little robot and the 3d printer thing, then had a quick go on the BBC 'Home'. Even on the novice setting I was standing and wobbling a bit, the sense of scale outside the ship was incredible and when the arm whizzed me across and I could see the planet my palms were sweating lol.

Tested a video and definitely need next gen/higher resolution for even SD content to be acceptable.

Lucky's tale was next and it's a brilliant little cute platformer. I played this for a while until suddenly I started feeling a little queasy and had to take a break.
I think I'd been playing the game for around an hour at that point. I needed about an hour to recover, but it was getting late then so I just went to bed.

Feel fine this morning and I'm looking forward to messing around again this evening. But if last night is anything to go by, I think I'm going to have to take it slow and build up a tolerance.

I wish I had a friend with a 3d printer, I'd like to get one of these stands printed which holds the rift, touch controllers and an xbox pad:
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1783619

It's funny how VR affects some people. The BBC Home is supposed to be terrible for people who get VR sick but you seemed to be ok with that and yet Lucky's Tale made you feel sick.

Just advice to build up your VR legs. The second you start to feel sick stop playing. You can go play a VR game that doesn't make you sick, that's fine, just don't try to push through. It only makes the sick feeling worse.

And try Robo Recall, it won't make you sick. Rec Room is another one, no motion sickness in that one either.

Associate
Just tried Robo Recall
What an awesome game, had me ducking and leaning all over the place
Now I understand why people need fans, I was starting to sweat.

Is oculus.com the cheapest place to get a third sensor?

Last edited:
Associate
I'm going to change my vr game recommendations to my gamer friends who are still physically fit and active in their personal life. If they are the ones who weren't active when younger (footy etc) and stayed this way, i'm finding that they love the rift at first and still do. Yet they never really play it. My active friends, even non gamer ones who had a punt in the sale are on it most nights. In my small sample of friends, the ones who are fit and still do physical activity have no problem playing every night. The unfit, inactive gamer friends are very noticeably on a lot less. This is making me change how i look at the vr medium. Instead of seeing it for hardcore gamers who sit at the pc all night, i'm starting to see it more for the non gamer friends who would go the local club for a game of table tennis, the local five aside for a game of footy. Then when i think about it, that is what vr is. It isnt like playing 2d computer games just moving your fingers, its like playing real sports etc and a lot of my gamer friends don't do sports etc.

Associate
Just tried Robo Recall
What an awesome game, had me ducking and leaning all over the place
Now I understand why people need fans, I was starting to sweat.

Is oculus.com the cheapest place to get a third sensor?
The only other place is Amazon, yes it’s the cheapest. BTW some people swear by having there sensors in opposing corners of there play space (like the Vive’s set up) didnt work for me admittedly, buying a 3rd has greatly improved my personal experience, but my friend and a few on here use that set up for 360 room scalling, you might as well try it, could save you £59.

I think your mileage depends on you play space size, mines quite wide so my tracking near the corners was pretty bad

Back
Top Bottom