Oculus Rift

Soldato
Well I wasnt actually planning on actually buying today but I see somewhere selling it for £350 and couldn't resist. I ordered the dp adapter aswell.

Looking forward to playing some robo recall.

My living room is pretty big L shape no idea where im putting sensors yet or any idea how to set it up. I guess I better look at some setup videos.

Soldato
Well I wasnt actually planning on actually buying today but I see somewhere selling it for £350 and couldn't resist. I ordered the dp adapter aswell.

Looking forward to playing some robo recall.

My living room is pretty big L shape no idea where im putting sensors yet or any idea how to set it up. I guess I better look at some setup videos.

Don't worry, positioning the sensors isn't that big of deal. If you have a big area you might need a third sensor, but, if you can position two sensors about 10ft apart in opposite corners of your play area and above head height, you will get pretty decent 360 degree tracking.

Soldato
Don't worry, positioning the sensors isn't that big of deal. If you have a big area you might need a third sensor, but, if you can position two sensors about 10ft apart in opposite corners of your play area and above head height, you will get pretty decent 360 degree tracking.

Ok thanks,

I just had a rough measure and if I push sofa out of the way I will have 12 foot x 8 foot clear area to work with.

It should be easy for me to get these 2 up high either end where they can see me.

But do these come with wall mounts then? Or what's easiest way of getting them up high.

Soldato
Ok thanks,

I just had a rough measure and if I push sofa out of the way I will have 12 foot x 8 foot clear area to work with.

It should be easy for me to get these 2 up high either end where they can see me.

But do these come with wall mounts then? Or what's easiest way of getting them up high.

The come with Stands. But, you can get cheap mounts for them that work perfectly

Look up Shappy 3 pack security mounts on Amazon. It's what I use and they are perfect.

Soldato
Thanks for your help guys I ordered some 3d printed mounts and some command strips.

Any other tips you guys can think of? anything else I might need?

Soldato
Erm, depending on where your PC is in relation to your playspace, you may also need to extend the Rift HDMI/USB cables.
Have a google for Oculus extension cables, as I dunno about linking that stuff on here :)

Got enough spare USB ports?

Soldato
Erm, depending on where your PC is in relation to your playspace, you may also need to extend the Rift HDMI/USB cables.
Have a google for Oculus extension cables, as I dunno about linking that stuff on here :)

Got enough spare USB ports?

Yeah my pc is in a good spot it's in the corner of my living room and im playing next to it. I have no idea how long the cables are that come with it but I couldn't really be much closer to it so I'm guessing I will probably only need to extend the usb going to the far sensor. I have a couple of extensions I use for controllers so I can use them if needed.

So far the games that interest me most are star trek , robo recall and beat saber.

Also would love to play resident evil 7 in vr but just read that isn't available on pc.

Soldato
So just setting up now so far amazing.

I need a couple of recommendations from you guys.

1. What hdmi exstension should I buy? The lead isn't quite long enough.

2. Can anyone recommend me some glasses frames that will fit well with this? Maybe a link to glasses direct. My glasses frames are huge so no chance of them going under this. I can see fine without my glasses just slight astigmatism so my eyes get a bit blurry reading text after a while of not wearing my glasses.

Associate
I'm using a UGreen 2m HDMI extension cable, to save some wear and tear on the graphics card hdmi socket but also extend the hdmi cable reach and make it more accessible (I usually have the rift headset unplugged).

I am also using a UGreen 3m usb 3.0 extension cable. It has a micro usb socket to provide a boost in power but I've never had to use it as I've not had any problems.

Soldato
It seems like 2m is the sweet spot for compatibility and reliability for extension leads for the Rift. I've got 2m extensions for mine. Makes a big difference as you can unplug the headset easily to untangle the wires.

As for glasses frames, I use WidmoVR lenses on my rift and they've made it so much easier and convenient to use the rift without mucking around with glasses.

Soldato
Thanks for help guys really good.

I have had some serious fun on rift this morning just sat down for a rest.

I may need to move my play area a bit as my knuckle is bleeding lol.

Edit: I have moved my pc out of the corner closer to my play space and redone my setup with the guardian thing further away from the brick wall.

I can't believe how good this thing is so glad I got one.

Last edited:
Soldato
Thanks for help guys really good.

I have had some serious fun on rift this morning just sat down for a rest.

I may need to move my play area a bit as my knuckle is bleeding lol.

The Ugreen HDMI cable is very good, I use one. There are lens adaptors from Widmovr, but, there are also thin frames you can get specific to your headset from VR Lens lab. Both solutions seem to work well. I recommend the VR frames myself as it makes it much easier when you have friends/family over and want to demo the headset.

LOL good job, welcome to the world of VR. Just be careful, the Touch controllers are amazingly tough and will break anything they make contact with, mirrors, bulbs, lamps, TV's, concrete walls etc. :p

I will be online most of the day if you have any more questions. If you want to try some multiplayer games (not sure what games you have) but, I will be happy to join up for a few games.

Soldato
I will be online most of the day if you have any more questions. If you want to try some multiplayer games (not sure what games you have) but, I will be happy to join up for a few games.

Multiplayer games must be amazing in vr, do you have any recommendations?

The only games I have right now are the ones that came free on the store robo recall, lucky tale etc..

Soldato
Multiplayer games must be amazing in vr, do you have any recommendations?

The only games I have right now are the ones that came free on the store robo recall, lucky tale etc..

Rec Room is free and has paintball, quests and a whole ton of other stuff. Download it ASAP!!

Also download Echo Arena and Google Earth VR.

You should have Dead and Buried included in your free games, that's a multiplayer game. You can play it single player too.

There are some nice games out there, do you like sports Sims? Eleven Table Tennis and Tee Time Golf are amazing.

Soldato
Eleven Table Tennis and Tee Time Golf are amazing.

Noticed you'd got the golf, you like it.

I think there's a tiny bit of a disconnect at times when shot taking with an iron, and there's a way to go with the putting with the contours of the green needing to be a little more pronounced. But early access and all that, it should get refined some.

A week after they released PSVR announced Everybody's Golf.. Dang it!!

Suggest you checkout the Free Brass Tactics demo imginy. RTS might not be your thing, VR changes up things to make micro management less of a burden, and makes for a more fun time.

Soldato
Thanks for all the recommendations guys I will try them all.

I only have a couple more questions for today, How do I turn off the rift when I'm not using it? When I put these sensors high up on the wall is it limited to 6 feet apart like it tells me in setup video?

Soldato
Take it off and it'll shut down. Close the oculus app if you want.
It's not strictly limited to 6 feet. People like me who use two diagonal sensors have them further than that and just ignore the warning in the setup.

Soldato
Take it off and it'll shut down. Close the oculus app if you want.
It's not strictly limited to 6 feet. People like me who use two diagonal sensors have them further than that and just ignore the warning in the setup.

Ok thanks I didn't know you could ignore the errror earlier I was moving them closer and closer until it let me pass.

So the 2 sensors that I put up high do I put them on the same wall?

Back
Top Bottom