Oculus Rift

Ditto! Mine is due on Monday too.

Had the last few days off, shame it wasn't shipped earlier (although it would have stopped me doing what I'd actually booked the days off for)

If you order with PayPal and pay the deposit, how does it work when they need the full amount for shipping?

Can you expand a bit on this mate?

I have crossfire 7950s and I was looking to get an Oculus to play DCS, probably just the huey and the simplified A-10A.

Cheers

Im afraid its literal Marker, DCS does not work on the DK2 with AMD cards. Theres some talk about it being fixed in the next runtime or in the DCS engine swap which is apparently in the next patch (due... soon), but all you get at the moment when playing with an AMD card is a black screen. Its annoying :(

Im having real issues with extended desktop mode. I got told on reddit to make the rift my primary display but It I do then I cant see all the desktop so I cant see what Im clicking.

If I dont have it set to primary I cant move games across to it by pressing windows key and the right/left arrows even though normal windows I can move across with the same shortcut, any ideas please guys?

Im afraid its literal Marker, DCS does not work on the DK2 with AMD cards. Theres some talk about it being fixed in the next runtime or in the DCS engine swap which is apparently in the next patch (due... soon), but all you get at the moment when playing with an AMD card is a black screen. Its annoying :(

Oh balls!

Saved me £270 then :)

Any idea how these stack up for people with monocular vision?

My brain favours my left eye ever so slightly and as a result I can't see 3D films etc as I don't see in binocular. I wonder if this will affect the Rift?

Not tried this yet, does it have a direct to rift mode as I cant get the tracking to work in extended mode yet :confused:

I run it in extended. If I remember right there's talk of it not working in direct mode just yet. Worth a try though because it really is great experience (with a wheel at least!)

My brain favours my left eye ever so slightly and as a result I can't see 3D films etc as I don't see in binocular. I wonder if this will affect the Rift?

In all my readings of the developer forums and from others experiences I can't think of anyone mentioning they had the same problem as yourself.

However, part of what makes the experience so compelling with the Rift isn't so much to do with the "3Dness" of the scene but everything combined.

With a DK2 and it's highly accurate rotational and positional tracking I'd imagine that the subtle things you do in day to day life that allow you to perceive depth would also work in the Rift. The micro movements of your head from side to side that allow you to see around objects that are close to you would add depth to a scene that you obviously can't do with a 3D movie.

I can only recommend, whole heartedly, that you give it a shot - but maybe not buy one right this second! :)

I suspect not much to be affected. The perspective / parallax is not the only part of what makes the Rift what it is, as said above. It puts you effectively, in the game, that's the main appeal.

Last edited:

The perspective / parallax is only part of of what makes the Rift what it is, as said above.

I don't think that's quite right Olivier, parallax is perceivable with one eye as it's more the difference in motion due to distance. You don't see the parallax effect when stationary, but you can see 3D depth all the time.

Agree with Roy though, if you can't see the 3D in 3D films at the cinema you won't see 3D with a Rift. But everything else the Rift DK2 and onwards does you'd still get a kick from.

Out of interest Brad, how does your vision work? Is it a focussing miscommunication or something on the brain side? It'd be cool if something like the Rift could calibrate realistic 3D into your vision!

Out of interest Brad, how does your vision work? Is it a focussing miscommunication or something on the brain side? It'd be cool if something like the Rift could calibrate realistic 3D into your vision!

IIRC, there was a documented case of someone not being able to see depth, and having his condition suddenly improved and corrected. I'll try to dig out the sauce on that.

If we're talking lazy eye syndrome...

http://www.vognetwork.com/rifting-t...nd-But-The-Oculus-Rift-Is-My-Corrective-Lens/

Last edited:
Brilliant! Sort of what I was imagining, that having two independent viewports allows each eye relax a little and focus on one distance.

It is quite likely that the Rift could actually adapt to eye convergence / divergence problems, and 'realign' the vision to form a coherent 3D image. I don't think there is an API for that just yet. All you can do ATM is change the IPD (the distance between the eyes), but there is no reason why you couldn't do the same adjustment with respect to each eye direction.

What would be really useful, is to use real optometric data (from your regular ophtalmologist), and use that data to setup the rift (and even let you choose on the correct magnifying lense, the screen distance, ... or if the optical arrangement will be adaptable enough, but that's looking way beyond what the Rift can do currently).

And yes, parallax was a poor choice of words. :)

Last edited:
This is being demoed at the EGX in London (formerly Eurogamer expo) in September yeah? Does that mean you can turn up on any of the days and try it? Dont want to fly down there and find that "ohh sorry mate those oculus boys were only here for saturday"

As i wouldnt mind trying it before i think about buying.

On the monocular side of things - I wonder if you could force a equal dominance by darkening the dominant eye image. Might be an interesting experiment if you got one :)

I was going to start a new thread for this but I'm not sure it has any relevance outside of the Rift - New videos of Stem in action: http://www.roadtovr.com/three-new-s...w-incredible-gun-and-lightsaber-interactions/

Check how crazy those interactions are with the gun and magazine. The lightsaber stuff is cool but it's something I'd really need to try before I really believe it works as well as demonstrated :)

As an owner of the Razer Hydra I'm longing for a wireless version with this level of accuracy.

Damn Elite dangerous is killing me.

Can't play it on a monitor anymore, the Rift experience is beyond awesome and trying to play on a monitor is like going back to playing the original. However, the stutter in game is so bad with the Rift, it's just royal pain in the eyes (literally).

Gah! Anyone else playing smoothly? My GTX 570 probably doesn't help, but I can cap 75fps with everything to low, so it shouldn't be the only cause....

You get separate images to left and right eyes, and all of the other hints we get - aka parallax work. It should be as 3d as normal vision.

Back
Top Bottom