Oculus Rift

Only problem with sword play interaction on the rift will be the swooshing at air? If an enemy blocks your blow for instance how does that get interpreted on screen?

will there be much difference from the DK2 to the finished product do we think? Will the DK2 be redundant when the retail kit comes out?

Yes, a huge difference. The DK2 will be totally redundant six months after CV launch if not sooner imo.

Only problem with sword play interaction on the rift will be the swooshing at air? If an enemy blocks your blow for instance how does that get interpreted on screen?

Im guessing force feedback or some other type of indicative reaction. You'll never get actual arm lock until you have some kind of full body suit and that's way down the road.

Last edited:
will there be much difference from the DK2 to the finished product do we think? Will the DK2 be redundant when the retail kit comes out?

I suspect there will be. As much as I was impressed with DK2 - as proof of concept it's great - I would not be happy at all with it as a finished product. The visible pixel structure alone is a deal breaker. Oculus will need to have a higher res than 1080p.

I suspect there will be. As much as I was impressed with DK2 - as proof of concept it's great - I would not be happy at all with it as a finished product. The visible pixel structure alone is a deal breaker. Oculus will need to have a higher res than 1080p.

Resolution is going to be a problem for quite a while I imagine. Even 1440p probably won't be deemed an acceptable resolution by the mainstream.

Needs a 4K screen really and we're a fair way off having computers that can run 4K at a steady 90/100fps

cv1 will be 1440p, 90hz, hopefully they use the same technique as sony as apparently even though they're the same resolution (1080p) project morpheus's screen door effect is much less pronounced

Needs a 4K screen really and we're a fair way off having computers that can run 4K at a steady 90/100fps

Surely that depends on the content you are running?

e.g. Crysis 3 1440p @ 100fps is a no. Half life 2 however runs at ~500-1000fps in 1440p on my hardware.

Just turn details down. Problem solved

I had a play with pCARS on the DK2 at work today.

It is very impressive, the amount of detail you notice while wearing the headset is immense add to that the actual feeling of sitting in the car! From the gameplay side of things it didn't seem, to feel much different you just felt more embedded into the game, I didn't find myself any more cautious riding curbs etc.

You reckon if i order the DK2 by end of sept i would get it by Christmas 2014 ? Would be a nice wee xmas pressie for myself.

Just got me Pending/Shipping notification from May 20th order. It's already in UK! :) delivery on Monday. Need to get a G27 for ETS2 and decent stick for ED quick.

You reckon if i order the DK2 by end of sept i would get it by Christmas 2014 ? Would be a nice wee xmas pressie for myself.

I would have thought so. They seem to be moving through orders pretty quickly. I imagine they'll have caught up with new orders by October

Back
Top Bottom