Oculus Rift

Damn Elite dangerous is killing me.

Can't play it on a monitor anymore, the Rift experience is beyond awesome and trying to play on a monitor is like going back to playing the original. However, the stutter in game is so bad with the Rift, it's just royal pain in the eyes (literally).

Gah! Anyone else playing smoothly? My GTX 570 probably doesn't help, but I can cap 75fps with everything to low, so it shouldn't be the only cause....

From what i've read on reddit (despite the many 'ive cured it! posts) its a driver issue. Pretty sure thats from someone official at Oculus.

Out of interest Brad, how does your vision work? Is it a focussing miscommunication or something on the brain side?

I had a slightly lazy eye as a child that was only partially corrected through glasses, when I'm knackered or drunk (lol) it really slightly turns in a degree or two. In nearly three years my missus has only noticed it twice, it's that slight.

To see the 3D effect your brain processes a frame at a time if you like from each eye in rapid succession, as my brain favours the stronger of my eyes instead of processing left right left right and so on it will process left left left right right left left left etc

This makes the 3D image look flat. Once every twenty odd minutes I'll see a little more depth than normal but thats about it.

Apparently 25% of humans have a depth perception problem, there is a method to correct it but it's a drawn out affair of wearing eye patches etc and as an adult it rarely takes properly.

I'm also crap at catching a ball too lol

Last edited:
HalfLife2 VR has been updated to support DK2 and "motion" reloads - you have to manually shake the bullets out of the magnum :D

That looks awesome, how much is the Razer Hydra and where can you buy it?

Ebay - second hand for about £90. Can't buy them new any more.

I'd wait for the Stem to come out ;)

Made by the same guys, but wireless and better tracking.

I spent most of saturday playing DK2 with a friend and came away very impressed. Negatives wise - the pixel structure is in your face, clear to see and everything is a little blurry. Detailed textures look muddy. We dicked about with lenses and settings for a while and got things to an acceptable level, but if you're expecting the crisp experience you get with a current tv/monitor, then it's not there yet. Once you get caught up in the experience this isn't a massive issue, but I wouldn't be happy if this was a finished product. 1080p isn't enough - which means we'll need monster pcs!

Positives wise - I was inside video games! The first thing that struck me was how 3D everything looked. It really isn't comparable with 3D cinema - it's as 3D as real life. The other thing was how good simple 3D maps/models looked and how much more effective they were than something more detailed. HL2 looked soft and blurry and wasn't as believable as some of the simpler demos that looked clear and weighty. It was like some kind of reverse uncanny valley. Lack of detail wasn't an issue either as it's all you can see - everything is consistent. You can't look away from the screen and see the real world, everything is the game and in that sense looks real. Once your brain is convinced, that's it, you're immersed. I expect, at least in early days, the most effective uses of VR will make use of relatively spartan and stylised looking maps. Suddenly finding yourself in a virtual world was enough for me and the greatest joy was in simply moving around and looking at stuff. If the Tuscany demo had a few simple puzzles and/or went on further I could have explored and played for hours. If someone doesn't recreate the Knightmare tv show for use with Oculus it will be a crime.

The highlight of the day for me wasn't flying around in Elite and dodging asteroids - although that was pretty epic, especially looking around in the cockpit and seeing all the gadgets and menus - nor being inside City 17, going on a virtual roller coaster or any of the other 20 demos - it was meeting Mr Totoro. I explored the road a bit, found a shrine amongst the trees, saw the bustop round a bend and an umbrella hanging on the sign to keep the rain off. Then I heard a noise behind me and out he came, walking from the woods with a big grin. He looked at me, made different faces and I then stood next to him and waited for the catbus, which turned up and took him away. It was great :D

Totoro_1.jpg

Back
Top Bottom