Oculus Rift

I ordered my today's the end of July. It said September shipping, anyone have any idea when in September as I am away from 4th - 16th

I ordered my today's the end of July. It said September shipping, anyone have any idea when in September as I am away from 4th - 16th

I imagine you'd get yours a week or two after the 16th. I ordered mine June 30th and I think I'm probably still a couple of weeks away

You would have to be a little stupid to not get a DK2 really. They are selling on ebay for £400 - £600 at the moment.

Even if it is rubbish, which i doubt, then you can just sell it and make money

The real challenge from here onwards, it seems, is not necessarily in improving the specification. It's in designing games that are worth playing and tailored to the hardware's strengths and weaknesses

So, is it really worth ordering a DK2 or should I wait for the first commercial release? (whenever that will be)

Only experience I have in VR is via Google Cardboard.

Dammit, I expect mine is 2 months away then, not September when it was expected. I ordered on 29th July

just placed the order for the DK2. So so so excited! I was considering holding out for the CV1 but i thought it was worth the cash for this one. October cannot come soon enough, ETS2 is going to be amazing with it :D

If it slows down the release of the final kit then it will be annoying, sure

But the more widely VR is adopted the better IMO. People need to be able to access the hardware (for cheap) to ensure developers create content.

The samsun deal appears to be their own headset, which looks like a fancier version of the carboard VR headset that google made.

It is reliant on docking a Galaxy note 4, which uses the phones sensor and i assume the screen to function. So i don't think it is a competitor to the Oculus Rift, different market and all that but it should pave the way for more content to be created.

Had my DK2 a couple of days, it's not as impressive or immersive as I thought it would be. Played ETS2 and a lot of DK2 demos from Oculus' site and it's like looking through a porthole "into the VR World" asyou have this black oval around the image, bit like a diving mask, good for World of Diving though lol. I've setup my eye positioning and tried both sets of lenses. I guess I was under the false impression it covers more of the FoV than it does. Will try more over the weekend, it is a dev kit after all i suppose.

Not heard many people complaining of this, and I didn't experience this with my brief encounter of the DK1 version, perhaps something wrong with the set up or unit itself.

Basically your whole peripheral vision isn't covered so you see the inside of the rift in your periphery, hence the mask/porthole effect. My eyes are as close to the lenses as possible. Anyone else experience this or do i have marty feldman's eyes lol?

Last edited:
Dammit, I expect mine is 2 months away then, not September when it was expected. I ordered on 29th July

Looking at the latest /r/oculus shipping thread they are getting through back orders fast, processing UK orders up to 24th June. I really don't think we (ordered 30th July) will have to wait much longer...2 weeks I would guesstimate. ;)

I think they need to, the Samsung Gear is having some good things said about it. With a release this year that may take over as the VR device to have until the CV. Of course, its limited to Note 4's so it will be really interesting to see if VR sells a handset... I can see myself being the owner of a DK2, a SVR and a Note 4. Sigh.

The Samsung deal is a great move. It'll give them access to cutting edge, hi-res screen technology - i.e. the fabled 4K and up that everyone is looking forward to.

Forget the Gear & Android VR, it'll take decades for that kind of setup to work. My thinking is that Oculus accepted the deal just so they could get a big tech manufacturer on board.

In the meantime, I'm going to try out Half Life 2 with the DK2. :)

Back
Top Bottom