Oculus Rift

Was going to buy the super wide LG monitor, but I couldn't hold out any more.

Ordered a DK2 kite there, it did say that any order from now that they were looking to ship early October.

Fingers crossed...

Basically your whole peripheral vision isn't covered so you see the inside of the rift in your periphery, hence the mask/porthole effect. My eyes are as close to the lenses as possible. Anyone else experience this or do i have marty feldman's eyes lol?

No, the FoV is rubbish, it's a fact. If you use your neck/head to look around rather than your eyeballs you can get around it somewhat, as you don't see the borders so much. It is unnatural and makes me feel ill, it's like tunnel vision. Think we're a long way away from having the screen wrap right around your periphery though

Last edited:
No, the FoV is rubbish, it's a fact. If you use your neck/head to look around rather than your eyeballs you can get around it somewhat, as you don't see the borders so much. It is unnatural and makes me feel ill, it's like tunnel vision. Think we're a long way away from having the screen wrap right around your periphery though

Damn, didn't it was as pronounced as that.

Only had a brief encounter with one, less than 30secs of use. Will be a while before with can had a huge FOV to feel immersed.

Whoa just got my DK2 and loaded up the Tuscany demo. Nausea within 30 seconds! I am very prone to this though, get travel sick easily. Waaahh so disappointed, gonna have to sell this then :(

False alarm, it was a slight judder in frame rate making me nauseous. Turned off windows aero and tuscany is running at 75fps locked and no nausea.

My god this is amazing, spent 5 minutes just looking over and around a window sill, absolutely amazing!

In the Tuscany demo, stand up on the balcony then stand up in real life and get the camera positioned to allow you to move around a bit. It ups the level of immersion, leaning and crouching as well and looking over the balcony is all amazing.

Do you guys use direct HMD or Extend desktop to HMD? Can't seem to get titans of space to run, it comes up as a side by side image on my desktop with nothing in the rift.

I can't stand up at the moment as my desk has a bunkbed type thing above! Need a new desk!

Do you guys use direct HMD or Extend desktop to HMD? Can't seem to get titans of space to run, it comes up as a side by side image on my desktop with nothing in the rift.

I can't stand up at the moment as my desk has a bunkbed type thing above! Need a new desk!

I use extended mode, basically I set it up in the following way and it seems to work well, even though I am not sure it is the best way to do it.

1. Turn on DK2 in Extended mode.
2. Set DK as primary monitor in Nvidia Control Panel or what ever GFX card you are using.
3. Turn off DK via the power button on top of the unit.
4. This should make you current monitor your main display and move everything over to it.
5. Run what ever game you want to play (note: It will start on your desktop monitor)
6. Turn on DK2 and hey presto the running game moves over to your DK2.

Alternativley, just use SHIFT+WINDOWS and the right/left arrow keys to move displays between monitors, however this does not always work for me so I use the method above.

Whoa, just woken up after a full 24 hours in bed ill from motion sickness.

I suffer from really bad motion sickness in most things so was to be expected. All demos were fine as long as they maintained 75fps but then I tried sightline the chair and there was a scene in a forest where it juddered really badly and I think that is what set it off.

Going to have to sell it now. gutted.

after hearing people comment about the fov and having the goggles effect, is this basically only for driving sims? (ie, you feel like your wearing a crash helmet)

Oculus Rift is a fad, along with all other "VR" headsets. At best, it will find a stable niche in the market, at worst, it will fail miserably like other "revolutionary" gadgets did.

I recall the "predictions" in 2008, after the Wii came out, and they were strinkingly similar to what we hear today: "A revolution in gaming", "An experience like no other" etc. Just like now (Facebook), a huge company (Microsoft) jumped on the bangwagon and invested a tone of resources into the "next big thing". Roll on 2014 and the Kinect is removed from the Xbox One because it's getting outsold 3 to 1. Nobody writes code for it (except the soon to be dearly departed Crytek, lol), nobody buys it, nobody gives a damn, that's how much of a revolution it was.

History will once again repeat itself with Oculus Rift.

Oculus Rift is a fad, along with all other "VR" headsets. At best, it will find a stable niche in the market, at worst, it will fail miserably like other "revolutionary" gadgets did.

I recall the "predictions" in 2008, after the Wii came out, and they were strinkingly similar to what we hear today: "A revolution in gaming", "An experience like no other" etc. Just like now (Facebook), a huge company (Microsoft) jumped on the bangwagon and invested a tone of resources into the "next big thing". Roll on 2014 and the Kinect is removed from the Xbox One because it's getting outsold 3 to 1. Nobody writes code for it (except the soon to be dearly departed Crytek, lol), nobody buys it, nobody gives a damn, that's how much of a revolution it was.

it has to be good........but it won't be

can we honestly see the big movie studios making 360 degree films....no!

can we honestly see the big game studios making 360 degree games....no!

for this to work, it needs mass adoption, and that will only come with great software. It's the chicken and egg situation all over again.

let's say I buy one, I'd want it for two reasons:

1. Theatre like movie experience
2. Driving sims

Will I really feel like im sat in the odeon cinema? doubt it

Will I feel like lewis hamilton zooming around silverstone? again, doubt it

I just don't think it's good enough. It has massive potential. Estate agents could film your house and offer it to potential buyers (criminals lol), you could walk around holiday resorts before booking.....or even walking around NYC. Imaging oculus rift linking up with google street view. It's cool, but 3d was cool and in reality it's rubbish! stuff doesn't fly out the screen does it.....it just looks like a blurry mess.

Last edited:

Maybe. That wasn't the impression I was left with after spending a decent amount of time with DK2, though. Sure, it's a bit ropey at the moment, not that comfy and the resolution isn't nearly enough, but there were moments that honestly blew me away. As much as any video gaming experience has - in terms of immersion and actually being in the game, more. If/when the hardware and ergonomics improve to an acceptable level it will just take one game to change how people look at VR. Ideally something simple, focussed on walking around and discovering things, a few puzzles etc. The strength of VR is in putting you in the game and once there I was amazed by just walking around and looking at things. Imagine a fantasy setting - you see a steampunk looking airship in the distance similar to in the Heaven tool - you walk over, it takes off, you look at the view, walk around the ship, it lands in a new country, you walk off to explore. That would be enough and it would be epic!

Last edited:
Ideally something simple, focussed on walking around and discovering things, a few puzzles etc. The strength of VR is in putting you in the game and once there I was amazed by just walking around and looking at things. Imagine a fantasy setting - you see a steampunk looking airship in the distance similar to in the Heaven tool - you walk over, it takes off, you look at the view, walk around the ship, it lands in a new country, you walk off to explore. That would be enough and it would be epic!

The revolution in gaming is.. a walking simulator? And even if the technology to create such a simulator was available (as you said, they're not quite there yet), they're selling these things now. A totally immersive 3D game would be epic but Oculus Rift doesn't have that, they're not even close to having it, they only have promises.

That's not how you make technological revolutions, you make those by creating a product, releasing it and watching it take over the market or creating one if it doesn't exist. The Iphone didn't need 5 Alpha versions, 5 Beta versions and years of customer testing, nor did the Playstation in the 90s. They simply worked from start, the revolution happened when they were released.

That's not exactly comparing like for like. VR obviously needs a good deal of work to get it right. And yes, I think that, at least early on, VR will be used best as a walking and looking simulator with a few simple things bolted on. And who cares? A few minutes in the Tuscany demo impressed me more than, say, the entire Destiny beta - which cost $500 or something stupid, or any other current game you care to think of. I'd actually like a back to basics gameplay approach - slow, thoughtful measured games that involve being in interesting places and seeing interesting things. Collecting items, solving puzzles, scanning things. Imagine something like Silent Hill - pants will be ****!

Back
Top Bottom